Skyscraper City Forum banner
1321 - 1340 of 1479 Posts

·
Staring at the World
609 Posts
And definitely better facade than turning torso.
Well maybe Karlatornet will have better facade than Turning Torso, but lets see and wait if it can top Malmö Living' s, which has Scandinavian best looking facade so far:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well maybe Karlatornet will have better facade than Turning Torso, but lets see and wait if it can top Malmö Living' s, which has Scandinavian best looking facade so far:
Are you kidding? That looks very average. In Malmö you have Malmö Live and in Göteborg we have Kineum. Great scrapers both of them!

Hopefully Karlatornet will join them among the greatest looking high buildings in Sweden.

·
Illustrator
6,809 Posts
Exciting to see the first piece of facade! I don't think it is out of place in Gothenburg, it will be a landmark that will show that Gothenburg is a modern, forward thinking city that is on it's way to the future and the skyline will by far be the best in the whole Scandinavia.
The city population of Gothenburg is almost twice as high as the population of Atlanta or Miami. And about 1 million in the metro, as someone mentioned. And with all new towers it will not look lonely! And the design is really good so it would rather be built alone when not at all.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Exciting to see the first piece of facade! I don't think it is out of place in Gothenburg, it will be a landmark that will show that Gothenburg is a modern, forward thinking city that is on it's way to the future and the skyline will by far be the best in the whole Scandinavia.
The city population of Gothenburg is almost twice as high as the population of Atlanta or Miami. And about 1 million in the metro, as someone mentioned. And with all new towers it will not look lonely! And the design is really good so it would rather be built alone when not at all.
Agree. Chrysler building was out of place in NYC when they built it, so can't reason like that. Don't get what that poster was thinking on a skyscraper forum :)

Off topic, but no use of counting municipalities. Either count urban areas or metropolitan ditos. Atlanta's urban area probably passed 5 million people this year (4.975m 2020, and 6m + in metropolitan), compared to Gothenburgs 600k (1m metr), so they don't compete in the same weight-class.

·
forumer #29
4,940 Posts
Agree. Chrysler building was out of place in NYC when they built it, so can't reason like that. Don't get what that poster was thinking on a skyscraper forum :)

Off topic, but no use of counting municipalities. Either count urban areas or metropolitan ditos. Atlanta's urban area probably passed 5 million people this year (4.975m 2020, and 6m + in metropolitan), compared to Gothenburgs 600k (1m metr), so they don't compete in the same weight-class.
Loved this comment 'cause I agree with everything so much.

Every single new building is out of place in a way (a way that is frequently argued by nimbys). I'd say preexisting situation is something to be aware of, yes, but very very far from always something to preserve.
And of course the interesting population & density numbers are for urban core, local area around a development/station, and the metropolitan area as a whole. Municipal numbers aren't that interesting really. If Stockholm was split into three municipalities (Inner City, Söderort, & Västerort) then Göteborg would be in a clear lead for population by municipal numbers. Wouldn't make Stockholm a smaller place tho.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do hope Gothenburg continues building these tall highrises and even skrscrapers. To be honest, I don't think it fits Stockholm as well (since the city is very historic and beautiful that way). I really don't want skyscrapers in downtown Stockholm. I think Gothenburg has much more potential in that regard. Sort of like Berlin vs Frankfurt maybe, or St Petersburg vs Moscow I guess.

·
Registered
25,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,334 ·
Stockholm is too spread out. However, some suburb a little further from downtown would be fitting. Hagastaden (with Norra Tornen) and also Kista are nice areas to develop highrise projects. However, the tendency is that plans include taller structures for many larger suburban areas scattered in all directions from downtown, which will not result in an impressive skyline in the near future unless the city follows example from Toronto with multiple clusters.

That said, Gothenburg does have a good start. There are industrial areas downtown to be converted to livable or public spaces with attractive urban services which is a good step towards a promissing future.

·
Registered
362 Posts
More facade. Less and smaller glass parties on the south side facing the street and Göta älv. More glass on the west side. At least on first floor, (which actually is two). 2021-07-21

View attachment 1804374
Thank you! I like it. The glassy side could be even glassier though. Because of the perspective you almost get the illussion that there are no difference between the sides.

·
Illustrator
6,809 Posts
I think Karlatornet looks way better then Malmö Living, an okay highrise here in Malmö but never liked the yellowish facade.

1321 - 1340 of 1479 Posts