SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1341 - 1360 of 1535 Posts

·
Staring at the World
617 Posts
I think Karlatornet looks way better then Malmö Living, an okay highrise here in Malmö but never liked the yellowish facade.
Of course, Karlatornet looks and is objectively miles better. I was just sarcastic. You can't even compare a premium skyscraper to some random Eastern Bloc from 60/70s looking highrise like Malmö Living. Totally different quality and approach, the latter is just mind-blowingly bad, considering its location. Congratulation to Gothenburg for getting a world class skyscraper!

·
Illustrator
6,898 Posts
Of course, Karlatornet looks and is objectively miles better. I was just sarcastic. You can't even compare a premium skyscraper to some random Eastern Bloc from 60/70s looking highrise like Malmö Living. Totally different quality and approach, the latter is just mind-blowingly bad, considering its location. Congratulation to Gothenburg for getting a world class skyscraper!
I almost suspected that, but I was not sure haha. I know there are fans of modernism, and "Scandinavian simplicity" out there. So we will soon have Karlatornet, Turning Torso and Kista Science Tower in our 3 biggest cities. In the year 2000 we just had Lilla Bommen, Kronprinsen and Skatteskrapan. So we are slowly going vertical in Sweden. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Exciting to see the first piece of facade! I don't think it is out of place in Gothenburg, it will be a landmark that will show that Gothenburg is a modern, forward thinking city that is on it's way to the future and the skyline will by far be the best in the whole Scandinavia.
The city population of Gothenburg is almost twice as high as the population of Atlanta or Miami. And about 1 million in the metro, as someone mentioned. And with all new towers it will not look lonely! And the design is really good so it would rather be built alone when not at all.
I've spent a good amount of time in Atlanta. The city (at least in the southwest where I've been the most) is so sparsely populated that you have to drive 20-30 min one-way just to eat lunch. From a European perspective, I think that most of these areas would be classified as exurban or even rural even though they belong to the metro area (I'm talking 20 min drive from downtown Atlanta). I'd be curious to see an overlay of the Atlanta urban area over Vastra Gotaland I'd bet it would probably cover half of it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice. Time to raise the tower crane to new levels as well. 4 new parts as it looks. Exciting :)
I have read somewhere that at least one crane will follow the tower up to floor 73, and high cranes are secured in the building with outriggers, like the one at City gate.
The red crane part lift the white crane parts above and create a gap where they install a new "white" part. Smart.

1341 - 1360 of 1535 Posts