Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Landbrukskvartalet is a redevelopment project for a city block in Grønland/downtown east. "Landbruk" being agriculture in Norwegian gives you some hints that this project will be a center for food and agricultural products right in the city. Previously a dairy facility, currently owned by the Norwegian Farmers association who wants to open the whole block for the city and get people involved and informed about Norwegian farming and urban farming.

There are multiple apartments in the block today and they want more housing in the future high rise. There's some urban farming initiatives there today that also would be part of the future block. There's also plans for a food shops, a kinder garden, large facilities for bike parking etc.
New size will be about 52,800 sqm + underground facilities of 8,600 sqm.

Schweigaards gate

Hollendergata

Platous gate

From Politihuset

View

New square "Meieriplassen"

New square "Landbrukets plass"

Schematic

Regulation plan for hearing: https://innsyn.pbe.oslo.kommune.no/saksinnsyn/showfile.asp?jno=2018041986&fileid=7828722

Illustrations for the project: https://innsyn.pbe.oslo.kommune.no/saksinnsyn/showfile.asp?jno=2018041986&fileid=7828734

Article in Norwegian about the project: https://www.aftenposten.no/osloby/i/a2y9OA/Bonder-vil-bygge-hoyt-i-byen

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hard to see this will ever happen, especially after Thon's plan for the Gunerius quarter was cut down from 98m to 42m.
But glad to see more proposals for higher towers. PBE is fighting with their backs to the wall. When the fossils running this club vanish there will be other boller.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
The 42 limit is certainly not set in stone, Orkla, the hub, Parallell, tyngdepunktet, gullhaug torg - anything over 60 seems more problematic. With this project we should be happy if the tower is only cut in half.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^Sure but then they need to show that they can offer something back to the city, of which Gunerius was told off on. I'm curious to see where Plaza ends up. Seems the high rise at Brynseng T is getting 50 m too. I hope this project wont end up as another fat rise though, which I think it'll be at 50 m.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
15,179 Posts
I hope PBE alternative don't happen as 42 meter is often the worst of both worlds: High enough to stick out in the city scape, but low enough to not look elegant and contribute to a skyline. Either go proper high or not at all. I do think it would be a shame to demolish the corner building and replace it with that swiss cheese one though.

I'm thinking about writing a statement to hearing. Would anyone be interesting in joining me? My opinion is that the highrise should be be built and that the 1913 corner building should be preserved.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^I agree and wouldn't mind helping. I dont mond the cheese building, but I think the old corner building is well worth to preserve in this part of Schweigaards gate.

1,490 Posts
This project is very important for Grønland..disappointing if the high rise is slashed. It would be the only high rise in Oslo that isn't wider on one end. Sculptural and vertical aesthetics is very important when you first go tall. We should oppose more bad compromises.

Of course PBE doesn't agree as they're green lighting Lilletorget 1, which is about as wide as it's tall while red lighting Landbrukskvartalet and the massive improvement suggested for Posthuset.

I also don't understand how it's in competition with the church. The church would get more exposure and a nicer environment if this development is succesful, which the high rise will contribute to. Few venture this far east on Grønland for anything other than necessary errands.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^well i dont completely agree onyour assessment of Grønlandsleiret, a lot of people pass through on their way to Gamlebyen, and theres definitely a potential for it to have a similar development as in Torggata has had the last 5 years. In that sense, Landbrukskvartalet manes a lot of sense, but even the low density alternative is bound to attract more people and focus to this part of Grønland.

1,490 Posts
The church is in a part of Grønland that sees a lot less activity compared to the western parts. It's a thoroughfare, but for people coming to Grønland to do things like night life and dining, you're likely not going near the church.

It doesn't need a highrise to be succesful, but the highrise is one of the qualities of the proposal. I don't see that it in any way diminishes or competes with the church as PBE argues in the article. In my opinion, given the context, it's not a sum zero game between land marks, but they strengthen each other. Only under special circumstances, such as the land mark being extremely important or finding itself as part of a historic skyline to be preserved as a museum, does that argument carry a lot of weight.

·
Registered
15,179 Posts
This project is very important for Grønland..disappointing if the high rise is slashed. It would be the only high rise in Oslo that isn't wider on one end. Sculptural and vertical aesthetics is very important when you first go tall. We should oppose more bad compromises.

Of course PBE doesn't agree as they're green lighting Lilletorget 1, which is about as wide as it's tall while red lighting Landbrukskvartalet and the massive improvement suggested for Posthuset.

I also don't understand how it's in competition with the church. The church would get more exposure and a nicer environment if this development is succesful, which the high rise will contribute to. Few venture this far east on Grønland for anything other than necessary errands.
The index building is also a square. It's also hideous though so there is that.

You should write to PBE to let them what you feel. I doubt they read these forums so any rants here won't have much impact. I for example have started to leave messages on various topics they leave on their facebook to share my ideas for developing the city and I've also gotten some likes from them, last example being today when I suggested that the metro tracks at Skullerud should be covered as part of the development scheme there. Whether they actually follow through on those suggestion is of course another thing but at least they now know how some feel. You should do the same. It's how you change these attitudes.

^^I agree and wouldn't mind helping. I dont mond the cheese building, but I think the old corner building is well worth to preserve in this part of Schweigaards gate.
When is the deadline set to (the article is behind a paywall for me)?

·
Registered
15,179 Posts
Here are two sets of illustrations comparing the impact on the surroundings that alternative 1 (the original proposal) and alternative 2 will have.

Alt. 1

Alt. 2

I think they show what I mean; Both alternatives will stick out in the city scape, but alt. 2 will just looks like a continuation of the messy city planning of the Enerhaugen blocks and the Tøyen senter without contributing much to the skyline silhouette while alt. 1 have the potential to become an elegant tower in its own right. If alt. 1 is dropped then I would actually prefer that the whole midrise/highrise part of the development was dropped in favour of something that followed the general heights of the area as I would hate to see another Tøyen Senter-box here.

Here are two more illustrations of alt. 1. I think the tower could also reduce some of the wall-like appearance of Barcode if built and would be significant upgrade of the aesthetics of the Oslo skyline when viewed from the fjord.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Some cautious signs that this might actually pass with a height of 72 meters. At least, PBE don't seem outright negative. Fingers crossed..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.