SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
Looks like it's on, along with upgraded rail to the Port, the dredging of the main shipping lanes and the convention centre! It better be an architriumph that graces the covers of archimags all over the world! somebody give DCM a call...MUAHAHAHAHHH!

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
Any architects? Pics of the new centre? It better be an archi-marvel!

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
From the AFR:
Southbank at heart of $1bn spend
Apr 22
Karina Barrymore

Melbourne's Southbank precinct is to have almost $1billion in new development, including a hotel, restaurants, high-rise residential and retail outlets, as part of a state government proposal to build and fund a new convention centre.

The new developments are planned to surround the $370million convention centre on land owned by the Victorian government west of the city and next to the Docklands precinct.

Premier Steve Bracks revealed yesterday the new precinct would be opened to private developers in a partnership arrangement linked to the construction of the 5000-seat convention centre.

The development offer appears to be designed to reduce the government's financial outlay for construction of the convention centre by offering tenderers the right to develop surrounding land.

The Victorian government plans to build the centre on land next to the existing Melbourne Convention Centre and to offer the adjoining land for private development.

The adjoining land, the former Mazda manufacturing site, was purchased by the government about four years ago for up to $20million.

Its acquisition at the time was justified because it was planned to be used to extend the convention centre, which is colloquially known as Jeff's Shed. But the extension was subsequently delayed.

The extra land surrounding the convention centre and the former Mazda site will now primarily be used for private development ventures, including high-rise hotel and residential projects, adjoining Mirvac's Docklands precinct.

Mr Bracks said yesterday the new convention centre would be the centrepiece of an $800million-plus redevelopment of the surrounding Southbank precinct.

A breakdown of the government's proposal showed the total planned development at the site was almost $900million.

As well as the $370million convention centre, a further $175million will be spent extending the exhibition centre and up to $100million is to be spent redeveloping the old convention centre.

Also, the Melbourne City Council will spend $43million on a new footbridge and other capital works, and at least $200million on the new hotel, residential developments and restaurant precinct.

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
i saw the render in the AFR too - i hope it's just an artist's concept, becos it was bluddy boring...we need something of the calibre of the ACCA or the Kennett era "blades". i can't think of another city that quite made such an architectural identity out of a feature like the blade. even LA and other cities try to have "gateways" that don't have any impact - but over here in humble melbourne, we make bold statements about who we are!!!

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
I agree on those points too, Fountainhead & OSJ. And it's certainly a relief that the masterplanning concept is only a concept!

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
They should get the architect who did the Age printing facility near Tullamarine - that's got convention centre written all over it (even though it's one of the schmickest industrial buildings anywhere!)

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
That design is AWFUL - I hope (again) that it's only a "concept".

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
Archibomber said:
^I believe after the Commonwealth Games. And I'm sure Baulderstone Hornibrook and Multiplex were part of 2 of the three proposals.
And the third builder was Lend Lease.

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
The original DCM building (Jeff's Shed) has its strength in its sweeping, standalone design. As you drive on the West Gate, you can see the "cross section" where the "wing" ends. To attach something to it would be a mistake IMHO. That's the problem with the DCM extension proposal - it compromises the integrity of the original structure. I'd prefer underground access to a new, complementary MECC. Perhaps another low rise "blade"-like structure sweeping along the Yarra?

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
Garmatt said:
Maybe so.....but how often do these enormous projects arise? If, as Bracks says, this is the biggest redevelopment of a single site in Victoria's history why wouldn't you take the opportunity to make a huge statement - especially if your gonna spend 1 billion dollars in the process?

You must admit, most people have been waiting with baited breath for the announcement of this project and when it's finally revealed the general reaction is......"hmmm, well.......yes.....umm...well, it's functional!"
Melbourne deserves better than that!

Don't get me wrong. I'm only saying this because I care about Melbourne making the most of itself.

Adamonline - if Melbourne isn't crying out for an cion when these opportunities come up, why are the words "Opera House" mentioned by a Melburnian yet again? There's alot of really interesting stuff going on in Melbourne at the moment......but when is it going to get something smack-in-jaw stunning? The opportunities are there but no-one seems prepared to take the risk - so far.

What was Jana's choice, by the way? (considering she lives in Sydney and was interviewed on Clive James waxing lyrical about the place I can only guess...................)
Sydney has the Opera House. Melbourne has lots of archiwonders - eg ACCA, NGVI, Fed Square, VAC, VCA, RMIT Storey House, QV, Melb Central, Shrine of Remembrance annex, Jeff's Shed, the gateway to Melb, Melb Museum, SLV, etc etc etc - and that's not even any skyscrapers! Most were designed by Melburnians for Melbourne.

Get over it - Melbourne leads Australia in architecture and design. Sydney has the Opera House (designed by a foreigner) and what else? Who your daddy now?

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
Blabby isn't happy with the design - Jeff's Shed has a certain iconic presence in the sense that it should be interpreted as a (standalone) sweeping wing. Put something next to your wing and you get a drumstick. We're getting a drumstick that mangles that design sensibility. I wonder how John Denton feels - kicked in the nuts. But blabby is happy with the rest of the proposed elements. Convention centres don't need to be iconic in the way that Jeff's Shed was iconic - but they need to respect their urban context.

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
Garmatt said:
I'm a former Melburnian who loves the place as much as the next Melbourne forumer and only wants the best for it....but I'm not so one-eyed as believe all this crap that Melbourne folk love to spout about Sydney ONLY have the harbour and nothing else.
It's true BUT. (Oh, and Blabby is also limiting his posts to when and where he feels really compelled to comment.) :D

Garmatt, don't forget you were a virgin forumer once too...don't you remember your first time?

· Melbourne Zealot
1,414 Posts
maybach said:
A 5-star Hilton hotel! Hope Paris comes over for the opening! :naughty:

Here's hoping that the 5000-seat Convention Centre will spark other hotel developments like the neighbouring Shangri La at Village Docklands. After all 5000 people need a lot of rooms.

The bridge concept is a little strange though. Just where is that going to lead? There's nothing on the other side apart from an extremely busy intersection leading to Docklands. It's not quite a scenic stroll.
I had an electrician do some work for me who swore that he screwed Paris Hilton when she was in Melbourne last, staying at the Sofitel where he was doing some work. I've seen this guy clearing his gutter topless in summer and the sight of his man boobs was enough to convince me that Paris must've been pretty trashed (or desperate) if the claim was true. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.