1 - 20 of 588 Posts

·
-Riga-
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
National Latvian Library
LNL - Castle of Light
Riga - Latvia

The building is pyramidal in form, and each floor is smaller than the previous. Library departments will be placed in the building so that the most often visited areas are on the lower floors.
The LNB building is to have 13 floors and some 40,000 m2 of floor space.
The new LNB building will have room for more than 1,000 readers, and services will be provided to as many as 3,000 people a day. There will be free access to 335,000 books and other print works from among the library’s collection of six million titles. Global information resources will be made available to every visitor to the library, including those with special needs. In the public area on the lower floors of the building, there will be a museum devoted to Latvian book publishing, along with exhibition halls and space for conferences and similar events. Scholars and students will not lack the decisive hour to complete their work late at night – there will be a zone in the library which will be open on a 24/7 basis.

Building Info:

Height: 68.3m | 12(1)fl
Construction dates: 2008-2012
Building use: Library, Office, Restaurant, Concert Hall​

ONLINE WEBCAM: http://www.gaismaspils.lv/gp/tiesraide.php?l=en
DIAGRAM: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=9800

·
Terras Irradient
4,022 Posts
I hope 135 million lats will be used not for nothing and such sum of money is really going to make worthwhile building. :D

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
nice project:)

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Noo, with government approval+state financing was lingering for 19 years. Public in general does not want this building, that's the problem - from one side and from other side - it is needed if we want to boost our development. This building has costed some political careers already. Costs also seem insane - at one moment they amounted to half a billion lats (some 700 mio EUR), now they are at some 160 mio EUR.

·
3:36
2,841 Posts
Building use: Concert Hall
how big is it? maybe you can use it as an alternative to the szk project? :nuts: or at least for the next +20 years, when they'll finally start building the acoustic concert hall. :nuts: x 10000

anyway. i really despise the decision to build the library according to the 1989 design... :bash:

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
I wonder how many people will visit this biulding: library, office, restaurant, concert hall that all fits in this huge biulding? I don't think so, i think the 1st floor is going to be the concert hall with a resaurant, the second floor will be THE LIBRARY, but remainig eleven floors: shops and offices!!!

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I don't think so, i think the 1st floor is going to be the concert hall with a resaurant, the second floor will be THE LIBRARY, but remainig eleven floors: shops and offices!!!
Have you ever been in current libraries (they are in several places) - how tight it is there, how little air is there for the many people, who work there?
Have you been in large libraries in other (developed) countries?

Sorry, I forgot that I am the naive man, the serious man are unhappy and very suspicious about everything. I can announce - I will be the happy user when this library finally will be built.

·
I Love Ice
2,442 Posts
Sorry, I forgot that I am the naive man, the serious man are unhappy and very suspicious about everything. I can announce - I will be the happy user when this library finally will be built.
Me too, me too, bro, I just hope it will not upset me with the books available there ... or I should say with books not available there.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Have you ever been in current libraries (they are in several places) - how tight it is there, how little air is there for the many people, who work there?
Yeah, i live near a library, and I go there to find the books that I need for school! Yeah, and you Gatis think that all library workers will go work in this huge place? Because of the little air in old ones? But what then will hapen to other small libraries?

Have you been in large libraries in other (developed) countries?
No, I haven't.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Oh, and those 135 million lats, they should better invest in reconstructing current libraries or buying new books for schools you know how they are needed!

1 - 20 of 588 Posts