SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://city-messenger.whereilive.com.au/news/story/north-tce-plan-scaled-down/

01 Jul 09 @ 09:10am by Adam Todd

THE endless upgrade of the city’s “cultural boulevard”, North Tce, will finally enter its next stage - but it will be a scaled-down version of the original plan.

The State Government this week committed just $2.06 million towards the $4.1 million project well short of the original price tag of $14 million.

Stage 3 of the project covers the section in front of Government House, between King William St and Kintore Ave.

Several key planks of the original plan including shifting the Boer War Memorial, demolishing the Government House fence and closing of Kintore Ave have been cut to save money.

The project will now be limited to a general spruce-up of Prince Henry Gardens to match the look of the first two stages between Kintore Ave and Pulteney St.

It will include new pavement, lighting, landscaping, public art and street furniture.

Stage 3, which was supposed to start last October, has been awaiting State Government funding, which Urban Development Minister Paul Holloway announced this week, in a cost-sharing arrangement with Adelaide City Council.

Works are expected to start within months and take about a year to complete, Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said.

“North Tce has been a great success, recognised nationally as the best piece of public realm work in the country,” he said.

Mr Harbison defended the cuts to the original plan.

“This does the bit that the government and the council are keen to see most, and that’s Prince Henry Gardens.

“People aren’t keen to close off Kintore Ave, they don’t want to knock down the Government House wall and they see shifting the Boer War statue as not really worth the investment.” Mr Harbison said future upgrades were planned further along the strip.

“It goes on for a very long time, from East Tce to West Tce,” he said.

Property Council of Australia state executive director Nathan Paine said the North Tce upgrade was vital for the city.

“It is better to have something happening, but Adelaide has a history of a piecemeal approach, and I think what we need to do is complete Light’s Vision and deliver a vibrant, active city, and that will attract investment from local, state and federal governments.”

“The North Tce upgrade is important but we have to look at it in the scheme of the whole square mile.”

Construction of the $14 million first stage, between Kintore Ave and Pulteney St, started in March 2003, and took about two years.

The $7 million second stage, between Pulteney St and Frome Rd, was finished last December.

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so the next stage is going to be going ahead soon, but it has been cut back and made a whole lot cheaper and wont be anything special.

in my opinion, the council should wait until they have enough finances to build the $14million version, while in the mean-time they upgrade a small section somewhere else, perhaps the part infront of Parliament house and the railway station, not much needs to be done there cept for a new paving and street furniture.

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
I wished the state government stepped in on this one, It has been a disgrace that it has taken this long.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
but it has been cut back and made a whole lot cheaper and wont be anything special.
No.

Several key planks of the original plan including shifting the Boer War Memorial, demolishing the Government House fence and closing of Kintore Ave have been cut to save money.

The project will now be limited to a general spruce-up of Prince Henry Gardens to match the look of the first two stages between Kintore Ave and Pulteney St.
Though it would of been nice to see the fence demolished.

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Kintore ave needs to be closed, there are just too many cars trying to turn there while pedestrians are crossing, i've seen a lot near misses, and i've had to give way to several cars who weren't even looking before they turned, and there could be a pretty bad accident there one day. Also the footpath on the western side of Kintore is less than a metre wide, there isnt enough room for people to walk in both directions, lol there's barely enough room for one person to walk when a ticket machine or sign post comes up.

At the very least, i hope to see Kintore closed to un-neccessary car traffic, the sliplane on the corner of north tce/king william st removed, the footpath on the southern side of North tce improved (between Gawler place and King William) and the footpath on the northern side of North tce upgraded.

Other bad spots on North tce are right in front of the Royal Adelaide where the bus stops are, during peak hour to get past i have to jump up onto the raised grass bit. And in front of the Parliament House/Railway Station.

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not looking good at the moment, there are a couple of broken benches on North terrace, one near the war memorial and another down by the art gallery. Any other city would have that sort of stuff fixed overnight, not left for weeks with tacky orange crap around it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
For **** sake, when will I read something about a project in Adelaide where it not scalled down or the design isn't comprimised... it was like this when i was growing up and its still like it when I have lived elsewhere for 15 years. LeCornu, eastern parklands grandstand, MFP.. the list goes on.. nothing has changed. when Adelaidians realise Adelaidians deserve better than just adequate????

"THE endless upgrade of the city’s “cultural boulevard”, North Tce, will finally enter its next stage - but it will be a scaled-down version of the original plan.

The State Government this week committed just $2.06 million towards the $4.1 million project well short of the original price tag of $14 million."

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Sadly, i think we''ll be waiting a while longer

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
its a concern that the state govt doesn't give much funding for our CBD. Infact its shithouse IMO. They have recently announced state govt funding to upgrade the NE corner of Hindmarsh Sq, but when that will happen, I dunno. While in Hindmarsh Sq today, a couple of trees were turning yellow due to the heatwave and on 1 tree, the new little spring leaves were all shrivelled up. Id say Alice Springs prob looks more lush. Why is this only happening to us?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Guys guys, its still going to be the same standard as Stage 1, its just not going to include shifting the Boer War Memorial, demolishing the Government House fence and closing of Kintore Ave.

Its not Adelaide's fault there is a global financial crisis going on.

While in Hindmarsh Sq today, a couple of trees were turning yellow due to the heatwave and on 1 tree, the new little spring leaves were all shrivelled up. Id say Alice Springs prob looks more lush. Why is this only happening to us?
I guess you haven't been to Melbourne then, their water situation is much worse compared to Adelaide.

·
Registered
628 Posts
^^^^ errr... the GFC has been going on for abut 10 months now... The neglect of the adelaide CBD has been going on since my entire living adult memory and for eons before that I suspect. GFC has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I guess you haven't been to Melbourne then, their water situation is much worse compared to Adelaide.
thats whats annoying me Crawf, we dont have any water situation. Our reservoirs are at highest level in 3-4 years but they are letting our city centre squares to go bone dry and letting old elms wither away

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They really need to close kintore ave to unneccessary road traffic, that intersection is one of the worst in the CBD for pedestrian safety. Cars, trucks, taxi's and buses come around that corner really fast and sometimes darting across traffic and not looking out for pedestrians, i've come close to being hit by a car at this crossing many times, and i've seen at least 3 accidents in the space of a couple of months.

For part of the North Tce upgrade they should make that part of Kintore ave between the War Memorial and the Library a tourist info centre with a cafe + outdoor seating, similar to the Buskers cafe in the mall.

They should also begin work infront of the existing RAH, widening the footpath by 2-3 meters to allow easier access for pedestrians is needed. at the moment there is about half a metre space to walk past with these old 1950's bus stops blocking the path. This path infront of the hospital is just a mess and needs some upgrading soon.

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just today in town, i saw some temporary fencing around the section of north tce; kintore ave to king william street.

Is this finally starting?

i just hope it doesnt take 3 years to finish:bash:

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
from AdelaideNow

AARON MacDONALD

December 17, 2009 12:01am

ADELAIDE City Council is putting the final touches on its North Tce redevelopment in time for next year's Fringe festival.

Concept art provided to The Advertiser shows the future look of the Prince Henry Garden area between King William St and Kintore Ave.

The council says lighting and benches will be installed, with extra seating along the kerbside, creating a "boulevard atmosphere".

Major feature will be lit up at night. Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said it was exciting to see each stage progress.

"Over the next few weeks, we'll see this street continue its development into a great public space," he said.

"North Terrace is really coming into its own not just as a thoroughfare, but as a destination in its own right." In redeveloping the area, the council made the decision to remove 34 of 45 trees in the gardens, leaving only 11 Dutch elms in the centre.

While only one of the removed trees was significant, the move upset some residents, who have complained to The Advertiser .

"We've seen 120 trees go for the North Tce backyard blitz," Hackney resident Trevor Farrant wrote.

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now that Uni is back, i'm in town a lot more and have more chance to poke around and check out development a bit more often, the first thing i saw was the work done on north tce between Kintore and King William, while the new paving and trees look nice, it's clearly unfinished, there's none of those special plaques, no furniture and poorly connects with everything around it. Also the south side of north tce is un-changed.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Now that Uni is back, i'm in town a lot more and have more chance to poke around and check out development a bit more often, the first thing i saw was the work done on north tce between Kintore and King William, while the new paving and trees look nice, it's clearly unfinished, there's none of those special plaques, no furniture and poorly connects with everything around it. Also the south side of north tce is un-changed.
Id imagine that caus of the high foot traffic for the northern lights, they will wait and finish once the festivals are over

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Id imagine that caus of the high foot traffic for the northern lights, they will wait and finish once the festivals are over
ah yes i forgot about that, silly me:nuts: i was trying to dodge those big black boxes in front of the state library this morning.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Construction works have recommenced on Stage 3 of the North Terrace Upgrade, with quite a few workmen on site today.

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
saw some of it getting started yesterday, looks like they're just finishing it off with street furniture and the plaques on the Northern Side. Havnt seen any evidence of work starting on the southern side of North Terrace yet, or around the war memorial/Kintore ave or the sliplane off of King William St.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts