Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone :) ! Its mentioned in last week's Miami Today ( 3/24 ) newspaper. after 60 days, since Florida Department of Transportation officials had a chance to buy the Opus property for I-395 Redevelopment, It was " NOT " done, and the City of Miami planning department approved with conditions that the developer of the OPUS 58 - story condo tower planned near the Performing Arts Center at 1237 Biscayne Blvd., next to Interstate 395, is to include two ( 2 ) towers, offices, 408 condo units, and 17,160 square feet of retail at a $ 190 million cost; To get a certificate of air space from the F.A.A. for the height limit of the tower and the affect it would have of the surrounding area. I still see this Opus Tower as a GO !!! :cheers:
p.s. I had to re-edited this to cut down the caps to keep Jason happy :) .

·
hmmm......
New York
10,909 Posts
yeah...it seems that you guys are unentusiastic about every single project that's not an Espirito...

Opus, in my opinion, is a very nice, slender tower

I can undersand you're opposition to the location, but I don't really mind seeing it built there, and don't really see it being a major disruption to PAC

but whatev...to each, his own!:)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
From the March 31st. edition of Miami Today:

OPUS: City commission permitting for Opus, a 408-unit, 58-story condo project next to Interstate 395 at 1237 Biscayne Blvd., was pushed back another month Thursday at the developer's request. The project, continued for the third time, is held up by negotiations with Florida Department of Transportation officials who fear it would disrupt highway improvements. "Lucia, does Opus want to break the record of the Performing Arts Center delay?" Commissioner Tomas Regalado asked Lucia Dougherty, a Greenberg Traurig attorney representing Opus. "I don't think we could possibly do that," she replied. The issue is to go back to the commission April 28.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Im with Street, I dont mind seeing it built there either. Those us who are a little older know all about broken promises by the government, the DOT project may never happen. My wife is an engineer and worked for the Washington DOT years ago and worked on a project that had been on the books for 50+ years, and now its 13 years later and its still not even started, so how long will it take Florida to do this project, they are after straped for cash. I say if they want the land that Opus sits on they should pay them a large amount of cash and end the whole thing, but they will be as cheap as they can.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rider_of_rohan said:
Im with Street, I dont mind seeing it built there either. Those us who are a little older know all about broken promises by the government, the DOT project may never happen. My wife is an engineer and worked for the Washington DOT years ago and worked on a project that had been on the books for 50+ years, and now its 13 years later and its still not even started, so how long will it take Florida to do this project, they are after straped for cash. I say if they want the land that Opus sits on they should pay them a large amount of cash and end the whole thing, but they will be as cheap as they can.
So very true " rider of rohan :) ", believe it or not, that prime real estate property is worth at least 19 million now, since they waited so long, the value of that certain property next to the Performing Arts Center keeps going up every month, and Now the Florida department of transportation Cannot afford it and are trying to get the developer to change his mind about building the most beautiful slim and slender state of the art , arquitectoncia design 58 story condo tower, I'm with Dale :) and Streetscapeer :) , too, Just Build it. It will be a skinny tall tower and will not block the P.A.C. :cheers:

·
Registered
897 Posts
rider_of_rohan said:
so how long will it take Florida to do this project, they are after straped for cash.
I would definitely rather have Opus 1 & 2 than the FDOT project, but it is erroneous to say that Florida is strapped for cash:

Posted on Mon, Feb. 07, 2005

FLORIDA

'Booming economy' to provide budget surplus for Gov. Bush

Gov. Jeb Bush told the Watchdog Report Friday at Coral Gables' Biltmore Hotel that Florida's economy is growing so well that the $61.6 billion state budget for 2005-06 he proposed to the Legislature will have billions left in reserves.

''After we fund our priorities, after we cut taxes and after we spend money, we will have $3.5 billion in cash, which probably puts us in a position unlike any state in the country,'' he said.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/state/10834901.htm

·
Registered
177 Posts
Build em. These towers are far from mediocre.. I think these buildings will enhance the area. And I think a residential district around the PAC will compliment it. Especially projects with ground floor retail.. It will keep the area from being dead when there is no events at the PAC and will make the Performing Arts District an around-the-clock area.

Plus, like Rider of Rohan said the DOT project may never happen. So we should scrap a huge project because there might be a possibility for road improvements?? I don't think this project will "disrupt" the PAC. Urban planners were thinking that the PAC would revitalize an area not freeze up any possible development, which is why they located it there.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
The state has plenty of money...there are plenty of projects with street level retail happening all around and including the PAC.
I'd prefer to see is that the Opus not block that astounding curtain wall from the PAC. You would have to take one of those hard hat tours to see how astonishing the Bay Views are...
The Performing Arts Center is going to be one of the top three in the United States and one of the tops in the World. It would be icing on the cake to have Bay views from such a treasure.
But no way would I want to infringe on the developer's property rights. It is a shame that the city let themselves get into this situation.
I wish that someone would buy it for fair market value, and the developer could build another tower elsewhere for the good of the nearby community and the people of Miami.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
mileageman said:
I would definitely rather have Opus 1 & 2 than the FDOT project, but it is erroneous to say that Florida is strapped for cash:

Posted on Mon, Feb. 07, 2005

FLORIDA

'Booming economy' to provide budget surplus for Gov. Bush

If you notice the wording, "to provide" that means it is projected. If jeb is anything like his brother his math isnt any better than his english. If they have all this money, buy out Opus, if not then stop playing games. Enough said.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
The PAC should have been built on Watson Island. Then it wouldnt have to worry about blocking views, and the area would remain parklike. Oh well too late now.

·
Registered
606 Posts
yeah, someone really needs to make a decision on this one. if FDOT is gonna sit on their asses with 395 than opus needs to be able to move forward.

what i don't understand is, why can't both happen? i can't believe that if opus goes up it will be impossible to bury 395. if boston can bury many levels of highways & train lines directly beneath downtown boston, why would 2 buildings be enough to derail something similar here?

or is this just a cost issue?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I would say build Opus but make them get rid of the giant podium or make them somehow come up with an orientation of the podium so that it does not impact the views of the PAC. Keep in mind its only the 10-15 story poduium of Opus that is blocking any views, not the sleek tower. While its true that Opus has the property rights to built what they want the Government also has the right to take any property it chooses fit for a public purpose (such as the PAC or road improvements).

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Opus: I was in Miami on Friday and I gotta tell you, coming from downtown, its lot is way east on the right side of Biscayne and really wont block all that much.

395: It really does suck-- the alternative: I dnk.

PAC: the building abuts the bordering roads on all sides. That's very odd. They need to be creative here. I liked the idea of putting it on Watson. But, the alternative should be to build a park around the building-- a "buffer" of sorts. Then, build skyscrapers a block off the building. As it stands now, and I understand that the whole area is under development, there are slums and lots surrounding it.

If this were Chicago, the building would be at the edge of a park. Miami needs to do something about this--- maybe some hybrid sort of development master plan-- unless there already is one.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Dave is right. In the end the state can put the property in condemnation and then pay the assessed value of the land. This is a crappy backdoor way to do it. The state should step up and take care of this right away.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
i feel that they should build opus,why because sorry there 's not much to look at when looking at the pac it not an architectural jewel or something you can say damn,it pretty ugly to me.also the chances of burying 395 are still pretty low no study,no research,no budget on this has been done so this could still take about 3 years to even get started,if at all.in my opinion i rather get a view of opus then the pac.i also don't get how opus would be getting in the way but yet marquis wouldn't.

i would be in favor of burying 395 if and only if we were told that land was going to be sold back to the city.

right now the onlying thing stopping this deal is a money issue the developer wants the land because he knows the value of it,also there was a high probablity that the 2nd parcel wouldn't of been a tower but parking for the pac.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
The Mad Hatter!! said:
i feel that they should build opus,why because sorry there 's not much to look at when looking at the pac it not an architectural jewel or something you can say damn,it pretty ugly to me.
Hmmm...the Performing Arts Center by Cesar Pelli is not much to look at and Luis Revuelta is "the worst architect in Miami".

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.- Winston Churchill

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.