Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From www.copcap.com:

"Although work has hardly started yet, the new Hotel Copenhagen Island will be ready to receive its first guest already in May next year, writes Børsen.

The name refers to the placement on an island that is first to be built in the middle of Copenhagen Harbour just north of the shopping centre Fisketorvet.

This location exactly – in mid water and surrounded by light and air on all sides – is decisive for the Arp-Hansen Group’s choice of building Copenhagen Island in accordance with Kim Utzon’s drawings whose first drafts and workshop drawings are now ready.

The hotel’s landmark will be a glass tower “floating in air” and seven stories placed in the bend between two angular buildings each of them six stories high. The hotel will have 326 rooms, meeting facilities up to 90 persons as well as a restaurant by the name of “The Harbour”. It will be built in white, water rubbed bricks with vertical lines. The lifts will be of glass and will all be placed in direct contact with the harbour to enable people to enjoy the view during the ride. The connection to the artificial island will take place across a glass covered bridge – inspired by Ponte Vechio in Venice.

The hotel will be Arp-Hansen Hotel Group’s tenth hotel in Copenhagen."

I havent found any pictures/renderings/drawings of this yet .. but from the description it sounds pretty awesome :)
Anyone with any other info, feel free to post :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
StarFish said:
Eh, they're building something right next to Fisketorvet at this moment. I wonder if this is it.
It's not. It's the new HQ for Forstædernes Bank. But the ground works for the hotel has just started.

Anyway, I don't think the design has the qualities of the written description.
The glass tower “floating in air” seems pretty much like noting but on ordinary glass lobby... I just hope I'm wrong...

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
Jarmo said:
looks very beautiful!
Yeah, but, not surpricingly, the NIMBY´s hate it. It seam obvieus that a city that couldnt build a 13 story glass building, should have problems with this...

The organisation, Københavnere mod Fejlplacerede Højhuse, the bastads that brought down the Kreyers plads project, have dicidet they still have to much freetime on their hands, and are meeting next week to discuss a way to stop the buildings...Although the building is only 7 stories high, and not located in the inner city zone, the group still feels that it is to high, and to close to the city. They indicated that their mission was to stop all building of highrises, in the city, except for Ørestad...

The City says that the artificial island, has been planed on this spot, since the mid 90´ies, that is has allready been aproved, and all the permits given. The zone in wich the hotel is to be located, dont have the hight restrictions that the inner city has, and the city aproved the hotels hight...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Oh my! Don't they dare! Right now it just looks bare an ugly at that place, let them build the hotel. Seriously, this isn't the stone age anymore, we've got to move on and build higher

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
StarFish said:
Oh my! Don't they dare! Right now it just looks bare an ugly at that place, let them build the hotel. Seriously, this isn't the stone age anymore, we've got to move on and build higher
I do think this has a better chance of being build. Mostly because, all the permit are given and apparently all the disicions have been made. Wich means, the gutless politicians, wont get a chance to screw it up, by fishing for votes, with a group of people who, i imagen, wont vote in november anyway...

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont understand that, what about all the other "skyscrapers" (highrises) in Copenhagen, like Carlsberg HQ and the Radisson hotels and all those ... arent they located in the city of Copenhagen? or just the metro area?

And whats wrong with tall buildings anyways? What's wrong with them (the tall buildings)..

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don't like this building. Except from the glass "tower" it looks like a provincial apartment building. It's way too boring for me. I'm not saying that it has to be a Guggenheim, but this one is not for me.

And the "Ponte Vecchio"? If they call the little bridge on the website "Ponte Vecchio" I'll have to go on a Canal Tour when the hotel is finished, just to see the reactions from any Italian tourists when they go by this bridge.

By the way, have anyone heard the news about the rigsarkiv-property in Orestad? To my knowledge it is going to be used as an experiment for Danish design and architecture and it will be mixed-use.

·
Timelord victorious
2,681 Posts
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN said:
By the way, have anyone heard the news about the rigsarkiv-property in Orestad? To my knowledge it is going to be used as an experiment for Danish design and architecture and it will be mixed-use.
Yep, there is some talk about it on the ørestad thread...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts