SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I havent compared them but are Woolies Metros like this size generally more expensive than normal Woolies?
The way woolies do letterboxing, I don't think they can have differential pricing within the one urban area. The specials are not specific to a store normally. (could be wrong)

They do specific exclusions for rural-and-remote around things. I think they were somewhat obliged to do flat pricing to avoid regulatory oversight, they could do predatory pricing to try and drive smaller/independent outlets to the wall.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ They could do this if they class Metro as a separate chain to Woolworths proper (like they do for the Woolies/Caltex servos).

I used to work in the advertising and marketing (QLD) division of Metcash and we used to design up separate catalogues for only the SUPA IGA or IGA chains respectively, with different specials at different price points. All stores in the SUPA line carried the SUPA specials, and the IGAs the IGA specials (and while not often advertised, IGA X-press had their own line of specials). On top of that, some of the larger store groupings (e.g. Ritchies, Cornetts, Drakes, Bansals etc) would run their own specials over and above the Metcash ones, only available at their own stores.

It all made for a very fractured marketing effort.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ If that's the case, then all advertised prices should be the same for products stocked.

As an aside, the Coles catalogues have a disclaimer that promotional products and prices "may not be available" at the Coles CBD stores or at Coles Local stores (like the proposed Albert Street Store), which is a lot more ambiguous. Does that just mean that products not stocked won't be available, or that products stocked won't have the advertised price?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Having lived in the CBD and also privvy to information about the WW Metro store DA in the McDonnell & East building, I know that Coles and WW have opposite was of running their stores. Coles Central (to be renamed Coles Local) stores in the Myer Centre and Queens Plaza do not have the catalogue specials and are run akin to how you have described Metcash's operation. I never did my groceries in Coles Central when living in the CBD and only went to the MacArthur WW as it had all specials. When Metro was introduced WW were at pains to provide council with details on how they were just a smaller format of their regular supermarket and not at 'convenience pricing'. Woolworths differentiates on a product level not a store basis - i.e. if it's stocked it's on sale. But Metro have a lot of product lines that aren't at the full format stores too, which never go on sale.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I havent compared them but are Woolies Metros like this size generally more expensive than normal Woolies?
Things that are on sale at a regular Woolies are often not on sale at a Metro I find. I tend to always aim for sale items, especially when stocking up. Tonic water is an example 😎, time for a G&T right now me thinks.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
^^I completed the survey and suggested to open until 10pm pending legislation. Include a instore Sushi bar, Cafe, Mini bakery, hot food bar etc.... Include an adjacent BWS. Within the Centre include a small boutique bar/cafe and a pharmacy (discount or Priceline). Also the project would need to cater for Active Travel. Bicycle parking wide footpaths and accessible and easy access by foot etc....

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
As far as I know the whole burnt block was called 200 Old Cleveland Road. I don't go much on that impression. Hope it improves. Still, good to see something happening.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
^^Oh! I misread the article but previous publications pointed towards a full line Woolworths and BWS at that site.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

I know this development has been kicking around for awhile, but its funny how people forget there used to be 2 servos here.

·
Registered
683 Posts
^^Oh! I misread the article but previous publications pointed towards a full line Woolworths and BWS at that site.
It is still going to be a Woolworths and BWS, it is even mentioned on the project website. I do not know why the CM are saying it is unnamed supermarket.

They hope to start construction by mid year, but this project has been delayed before, but fingers crossed.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts