Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Version II

Eifel
mugley said:
"Awfel" earlier today

next project > aquarium extension

later this year, Northbank Place

auslankan said:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19071017%5E2862,00.html

$10m aquarium boost

Jen Kelly, city editor
09may06

MELBOURNE Aquarium has begun doubling in ground size in a $10 million expansion that its operators say will make it Australia's best.

The work began about a fortnight ago and will add more tanks, fish, classrooms and function space to the centre, on the banks of the Yarra.
It comes as a related $200 million development -- three commercial towers opposite the aquarium -- awaits final approval.

That project, by developer Far East Consortium in a joint venture with aquarium operator Oceanis, will include two office towers, parking, 200 apartments, and ground-floor shops including bars and cafes.

Work on that development is expected to begin before Christmas.

The complex, on the southwest corner of Flinders and King streets, will also have ground-floor arts workshops facing out towards the Yarra.

Families wandering along the Yarra will be able to watch potters, sculptors, woodworkers and other artists at work on weekends.

The first stage, a new single-storey building adjoining the aquarium to the north, will include a second entrance to the tourist attraction opposite a tram stop in Flinders St.

Melbourne Aquarium managing director Peter O'Brien said work began after Anzac Day and should be complete by late next year.

"It will be state-of-the-art and something that Victorian families will embrace, because 80 per cent of our business is Victorian families," he said.

Far East Consortium executive director Craig Williams said it was hoped that the three towers, ranging from about nine to about 14 storeys, would be finished by Christmas 2008.

Two laneways lined with shops will split the buildings and link Flinders St to Batman Park, on the Yarra's banks.

The $200 million development is awaiting final approval from the State Government and Melbourne City Council.

Both developments have been made possible by the Government's removal of the Flinders St overpass last year.

·
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!
5,467 Posts
YET another UGLY concrete monstrosity ! :puke:

Shit, do you Think they could be a little bit more creative and innovative - and yes - i am a melbournian !

cheers

lozza

·
Registered
242 Posts
^^ well there is that intended brutal look in some structures that can look really good, but not in this case. this is just a cheap, unfinished, plain look that has no spirit at all.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
I can't understand why a developer would leave the concrete unrendered. It just seems cheap. Maybe I am wrong, but i would guess that the majority of people would think that a building looks unfinished until it is rendered and painted. Maybe we should have a poll? :dunno:

·
Agent of Change
7,014 Posts
CULWULLA said:
as i thought, most of the tower will be left exposed concrete. less upkeep costs to future body corp.
Just curious Cul is that what Brady told you or are you going off the render? I was told it would be painted. :dunno:

·
Professional amateur
1,062 Posts
I thought it was to be painted as well... a cream colour for the most part, not exciting but definately better than exposed concrete.

Stu

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
every morning going to work on collins st.. there is always a person with camera...
they may be mugley or some other forumers ?????

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
mugley said:
Awfel again, from this morning. Was taking photos of Eureka, got distracted by Rialto's BMU, and the ugly duckling found its way into the shot...

Everybody, Have a look at the photo Mugley has captured so well.....

There will be a building going up next door with an offset 2 floors higher on the left, about 7 stories shorter than eifel.....

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
That pic by Archibomber actually looks quite good. It seems maybe it will look better in the whiter morning sun than the yellow afternoon sun. But i like the shot from the found which is fortunate because just about anytime i look at it i will standing on the ground.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
^^ The morning sun is really quite yellow (eg my photo above taken around 9AM, and the one I put in the random photo thread a few hours ago). And Archi's photo is taken with a completely different in-camera white balance to mine, which makes them poor examples for comparing the effect of time of day on architectural attractiveness.

Archi's photo makes Awfel look good due to a killer angle. It's a great shot because it makes an appalling building look appealing - but from most other angles this building is still a dog :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
What do you guys consider a highrise?

SkyscraperPage has Sydney with 278 skyscrapers yet someone here has Sydney at over 1000 skyscrapers. Is there a definitive measure to be considered a high rise?

Cheers and forgive me for my SSC ignorance.

·
Registered
76,987 Posts
^ i have sydney with over 1000 skyscrapers (10storeys +), which took me 5 years to compile.lol. i would clear away from skyscraperpage as the sydney database is pretty poor (most of oz is also). i dont think anyone has updated it in years. too many missing .Go to Emporis for stats.about as accurate as you can get.
What do you consider a highrise? thats a good question!. Emporis have highrise at any bldg over 35m/117ft or say 10storeys.Lots of people say when a bldg takes on skyscraper techniques, eg 10storeys ect. While others say atleast 300ft/90m or even 150m/500ft/40storeys.
I reckon a bldg becomes TALL at 30storeys or about 90m/300ft.

current standings for each city in Oz for 90m+ bldgs>
sydney-118 (4 uc)=122
nth syd-6 (1 uc)=7
st leos-2
chatswood-4
bondiJ-1
--------------------
melb-82 (5 uc)=87
-------------------
gc-52 (8 uc)=60
-----------------
bris-44 (5uc)=49
----------------
perth-12 (1uc)=13
----------------
adelaide-4
-----------------
darwin-(1uc)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
CULWULLA said:
^ i have sydney with over 1000 skyscrapers (10storeys +), which took me 5 years to compile.lol. i would clear away from skyscraperpage as the sydney database is pretty poor (most of oz is also). i dont think anyone has updated it in years. too many missing .Go to Emporis for stats.about as accurate as you can get.
What do you consider a highrise? thats a good question!. Emporis have highrise at any bldg over 35m/117ft or say 10storeys.Lots of people say when a bldg takes on skyscraper techniques, eg 10storeys ect. While others say atleast 300ft/90m or even 150m/500ft/40storeys.
I reckon a bldg becomes TALL at 30storeys or about 90m/300ft.

current standings for each city in Oz for 90m+ bldgs>
sydney-118 (4 uc)=122
nth syd-6 (1 uc)=7
st leos-2
chatswood-4
bondiJ-1
--------------------
melb-82 (5 uc)=87
-------------------
gc-52 (8 uc)=60
-----------------
bris-44 (5uc)=49
----------------
perth-12 (1uc)=13
----------------
adelaide-4
-----------------
darwin-(1uc)
Great info CUL

I reckond that Buildings of 20 storeys or above can be included as skycrapers

Rather than 10 nor 30

If so, will be interesting to find out the stats of each city

·
Registered
76,987 Posts
sorry to stray off northbank subject.
20storey bldg are approx 60m/200ft high. much easier to work out.

here are current bldgs 60m+ stats

sydney-240
melb-153
gc-115
brisb-80
perth-37
north syd-30
adel-25
chatswood-17

·
Registered
96 Posts
CULWULLA said:
sorry to stray off northbank subject.
20storey bldg are approx 60m/200ft high. much easier to work out.

here are current bldgs 60m+ stats

sydney-240
melb-153
gc-115
brisb-80
perth-37
north syd-30
adel-25
chatswood-17
Personally I would consider any building over 100m a skyscraper and any building between 35m-99m a highrise.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
76,987 Posts
last stats i promise

100m+
sydney-90 (+ 3)=93
melb-55 (+3 )=58
brisb-34 (+6uc)=40
gc-25 (+7 uc)=32
perth-10 (+1uc)=11
north syd-3 (+1uc)=4
adel-3
chatswood-1

·
Registered
719 Posts
Great News!!! Yes, Eifel is being painted. Went past it tonight and it's being painted a crream colour.

1 - 20 of 545 Posts