Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
3121 - 3140 of 13669 Posts

·
KTH-student
555 Posts
^^ No offense, but I think that an architect like Foster had that in mind when he drew those bridges. And this worry about them becoming empty and lifeless.. Come on! How many tourists doesn't pass slussen everyday?

And I still don't get how you think it's "gambled with"? The important thing is that vehicles and people easily can get across the water. It sounds more like you're looking for something wrong with this proposal, but you just can't find it.
Okay, if you tell me that the practical things will work out fine, and the installations on those bridge will be enjoyed for decades to come, then you're right. Lovely design and intersting lightness to it.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw that suggestion was that it didn't make any sense. I loved the design and the "lightness" with it. But some part of it felt unnecessary. Then I was being corrected with the reasons of those bridges (cafés). I understood the thought, but didn't bought it. The cafés are not a explanation good enough to me.

To say: "No offense, but I think that an architect like Foster had that in mind when he drew those bridges", makes me even more suspicious. The fact that it's a famous international firm maybe has a false safety embedded?

Only because I'm of a different opinion then you it doesn't make my thoughts less worthy, nor does it make me a Nimby. You should know by now that I'm a Yimby to the bones.

·
Registered
915 Posts
^^ Don't missunderstand me. I do stand for more design and daring architecture, especially in Sweden. But there's design with a thought and smartness and there's designs that overrule function. I guess thate you can figure out which design I think those bridges are.

My point is that this is a really important traffic knot which practical operation never should be gambled with. There's always a risk that a lack of interest in a decade or so will leave those bridges as cold forgotten monument. I'm not saying that, but without a smart practical solution, what will be left?

I do think that design and function can go hand in hand. I'm studying contructiontechnics and architecture fgs. ;) And with that background I fear that the praise will turn into grievance when the WOW-factor is gone.

I love the design of Fosters suggestion, but I'm not that certain of the sustainability of it.
Ok now I understand you better. Your opinion sounds better to me now.;)

·
forumer #29
4,918 Posts
HERE COME THE PICS!!!

Wingårdh

Foster

BIG

Nyrén

Nouvel

After seeing the models and a bit of the plans/explanations my preference is now Wingårdh, with Nyrén in last place.
1. Wingårdh
2. Foster
3. Nouvel
4. BIG
5. Nyrén

·
Original Yimby
1,055 Posts
Thanx for the pics! :)
Can't say it changed my mind of the Wingårdh-proposal. Still not that fond of it. And I do still like Fosters the best. The idea of making a pedestrian bridge over "Centralbron" in Nouvels proposal looked pretty nice though I have to say, maybe that part can be added to the Foster-one in some way. Stockholm is growing so I think that there might be support for more pedestrian crossings in this area.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Went there today, and I have to say Nouvel made the best impression on me!
They really have created something unique that would boost the appeal of the area, at least in my eyes. They've focused a lot more on strolling areas, with emphasis on exploration and meeting points compared to the other proposals.
As I said before, the foster's proposal is interesting, yes, and it would be an awesome addition to the city - but not here! It just seems like such a waste of space. Slussen desperately needs new areas for interaction and not just an interesting looking bridge.

However, I'm happy to say I won't be disappointed however it ends up, they're all good in their own way.

·
Stockholm rules!
1,740 Posts
Wingårdh's buildings + foster's bridge + Nouvel's ''överdäckningar + BIG's building (the one closest to stadsgården = perfect together!

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
I still have Foster + Berg as favorite, but Wingårdh looks much better than on the renderings we saw earlier. The rest of the proposals doesn't really impress me anyway. The only thing I'm not that happy about with Foster + Berg is the way they have changed Katarinahissen - it should be kept as it is if you ask me :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
After this, Foster seems to be the best one, but it's still not good with that dysfunctunal cul-de-sac bridge. They have to remove it from the plans.

They can also add the Wingårdh style buildings and make the Nouvel roof for pedestrians over Centralbron.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
Great Post Swede! Jolly good job!
I really like a combination of most of them, so it's easier to say which one I don't like and that is Nyren, I really hope it will not get chosen, but I tend to dislike the ones that get chosen, so it wouldn't surprise me if that one turned out to be the picked one here!
I can't wait untill they decide for which one to go for, at the end of the year?

And thanks to your mother Swede!

·
Registered
915 Posts
I saw the proposals and the rest of the pictures at Stadsmuseet today.

I like Nouvels proposal very much. Waterfalls, cafes, restaurants, football fields, skating parks, sea views and small lakes on bridges. Wow there is so many details in his proposal. The green floating and mobile dance scene building with removable roofs above the spectators is creative. The only disadvantage is that Nouvels proposal does not look so special from the posting card view from the sky. It does not have any iconic building. But I believe that it will be fantastic to walk along all those buildings above the water.

Wingårdhs proposal is also very good according to me. It consists of many different kind of buildings. Some are organic shaped, others have patterns on the walls and some consists of stacked cubes. The proposal is Urban and It will add a lot of lively streets and squares to the area!

Fosters proposal consists of many retro buildings. The only fancy modern buildings are the bridge and the new Katarina hissen. I do not believe that they will let Foster touch Katarina hissen and the functionalistic Stockholmers will not accept a bridge that starts where it ends. And without those buildings I'm afraid that Fosters architecture will make a feeble impression. It's a pity cause it is a good proposal with many lively urban streets.

Bigs proposal does look very good from distance according to me. But there is so much space in his proposal. I do not believe that it is possible to create a lively atmosphere on a so big empty area.

Nyrens proposal consists of some glass boxes and a lot of open empty concrete areas. His proposal is the worst according to me.

·
囧!
10,897 Posts
I really don't like the buildings along the waterfront in Foster's proposal-- they completely kill the project imo. Hopefully those are not actual final designs but conceptual models, as it usually goes with master plans. Kinda like what they did with Katarinahissen though. :)

Nouvel and BIG are my favourites. I love the Nouvel one. Build it now..

3121 - 3140 of 13669 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.