SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Here is an article which was published in Blacktown City Sun that sums up the highrise boom the area is currently experiencing mentioning some proposals for the Blacktown CBD. I don't know when it was published as they didn't include a date with the article.

Up goes Main Street: Wehbe Apartments asks for 14 storeys

Proving Westpoint isn't the only big business interested in the future of Blacktown, Wehbe Apartments has lodged an application to upscale its previously approved plan for a highrise development in the CBD.

The group recently submitted a plan to increase the size of its development on the corner of Main Street and Newton Road (the former McDonald's site) from nine storeys to 14.

The amended plan would comprise two levels of commercial-retail space, capped by a 12 level residential block.

There would also be five basement car parking levels to accommodate 182 cars, expected from the businesses and the 82 residential units.

The previous application, which was approved in January this year, allowed for 46 residential units over two levels of basement car parking with 99 spaces.

While not yet discussed by council, the application is permissible in the current zone and requires only council's consent.

Blacktown Council environmental and planning policy director Glennys James said the Main Street development was one of around five similar applications that would soon be before the council.

She said the only other approved highrise mixed development so far was located near the bus interchange on the northern side of Blacktown Station.

It is for two blocks, one 25 storeys and the other 10.

Ms James said the four applications still to go before the council were also located on the northern side.

The largest is an application for a 27-storey development on the corner of First Avenue and Prince Street.

Another application includes three separate 16-storey buildings in Second Avenue.

Ms James said there was a trend towards mixed commercial-residential developments.

The Main Street application will be on public display from August 27 to September 10 and submissions should be lodged with the council prior to the closing date.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Jesus christ almight, Blacktown is like 35 k's west of Syd CBD and 10 k's north of Parramatta isnt it?
Imagine how well this place would do if it had a more politically correct / marketable name ?

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
christarrant said:
Jesus christ almight, Blacktown is like 35 k's west of Syd CBD and 10 k's north of Parramatta isnt it?
Imagine how well this place would do if it had a more politically correct / marketable name ?
It's 30km west of the city, and 10km to the west of Parramatta. It's the outermost regional centre in Sydney to contain scrapers. Liverpool isn't too far behind. I wonder if those on the outer ring (Penrith & Campbelltown) have anything tall up their sleeve.

·
Streetwalker
7,025 Posts
Mind you ...... all of these projects are in good locations, therefore once they are built will change the complete look of the area. I've never been one for Blacktown of all places, but I have to admit, it is going thru one major overhaul and it seems to be snow balling along fine .... :)

M

·
0 Posts
Blacktown gets a new commercial/residential tower of 13 levels. Construction soon starts on this tower located at 130 Main street Blacktown. Its being built by Better Buildings Pty Ltd and is being leased by Richardson & Wretch Parramatta.

There's a pic of it in this weeks Parramatta Sun. Its on a corner with a nice curved look. A big improvement for Blacktown.

M

·
0 Posts
Another one for Blacktown

Here are the details from this weeks Parramatta Sun .....

Its a 16 level residential / commercial building located on a prominent corner of Blacktown .....

26-28 Second Avenue Blacktown.

It will contain 12 one bedroom and 97 two bedroon units inc retail/commercial at the base.

The tower I think will be called "Prominent". The selling agents are Richardson and Wrench - Parramatta.

·
Registered
73,274 Posts
^ thanks again. i think Blacktown is only city in the world listed on ss.com with 0 existing skyscrapers BUT 10 proposed! what a boom. hopefully some will start soon.

M

·
0 Posts
CULWULLA said:
^ thanks again. i think Blacktown is only city in the world listed on ss.com with 0 existing skyscrapers BUT 10 proposed! what a boom. hopefully some will start soon.
This tower may actually be rising. I saw something in that area the other week. This tower in on the other side of the rail line to the Westpoint Shopping Centre which is progressing at a significant rate.

The shopping complex was always going to be the catalyst that would start the construction of talls in the Blacktown CBD.

There are pictures of these buildings in the Parramatta Sun but not on-line.

The is building is block shaped and may in fact have a 17th level because there looks to be a penthouse type addition to the main corner. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
#Projects: BLACKTOWN

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Blacktown, but just had a question regarding the info on Emporis. Of the 10 high-rise shown nine are confirmed. I'm sure last time I looked it said 4/5 approved/proposed. Has this been recently updated?

Great to here it will have 100m and 80m towers going up. I've only driven through Blacktown once and passed through on the train a few times. I'm expecting cranes everywhere next time I go. It'll be interesting to see how the M7 affects it's business activity.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Give me a refresher: Where roughly is blacktown. I've got a mindblank.

·
Registered
73,274 Posts

·
Registered
73,274 Posts
^ yeah your probably right. i know its about 40min drive from the city.

·
Registered
73,274 Posts
there seems to be alot of 4-6 storey blocks of flats going up?
like this one>

we need someone with guts to take the plunge and build a skyscraper!

·
Registered
162 Posts
^ That one is just about finished.

I drive thru Blacktown every day to get to work. I havent seen much activity yet involving tall cranes - just the mid-rises as Cuwalla says. Blacktown is situated on a sort of hill - so any skyscraper would stand out like dog 's balls. :) The library has been redeveloped recently and it has a modern facade.

Norwest, also in that neck of the woods, is seeing a lot of activity - but nothing enough to peirce the skyline.

If i ever have time I will take some pics of Blacktown and Norwest....and Liverpool as promised. I just feel like an idiot pulling out the camera, not to mention the fear of being mugged ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I went out to Blactown today (my dad has a house in St. Mary's) and got some pics of the area. Alot of school kids at that time, made me nervous to be seen with a camera. There are a couple of good buildings, Westpoint office tower looks high-rise to me, sticking out above the shopping centre. I'll post the pics tomorrow.

I also got some Castle Hill pics. Castle Hill towers looks like the biggest shopping centre I've seen, didn't look to gig to begin with but just kept going. I'm also working on some Liverpool pics, I'm always there at night.

·
Registered
73,274 Posts
lenny, i found fabians blacktown thread, so i merged them. your thread starts from post 12.
cheers

·
Registered
366 Posts
Alright, here are some pics. I wish I did some photography at uni, it is an addictive past time.

This is from a roof towards the south, can't remember the complex. It was a stand alone parking centre.

I also got on the roof of Westpoint shopping for some more.

Then I walked around, took some pics from the station in particular.

And while driving around, I saw this. On the train line to the east.

Sorry I don't have more of a description. These show the Westpoint, the silver building near the station, some residential buildings I think I've seen the render for, and the RTA/glass building near the Blacktown Workers Club(?)

1 - 20 of 386 Posts