SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 386 Posts

·
#pantherpride
1,560 Posts
148 best road.
Just looked it up on Google Maps - it's within the village centre, or whatever you call it, near Centro and about 100m from the station.

I haven't been there for a few years (but it was a regular destination as a kid)... the place could do with a bit of a facelift, and this could be the catalyst.

·
Registered
73,297 Posts
posted by nameless dude
Soaring Blacktown tower is our coming of age

THE business heart of Blacktown is about to be transformed with Blacktown Council’s approval last week of plans to build a skyscraper in the city centre.

The go ahead follows months of planning and negotiations with a developer, with work expected to begin in a matter of weeks.

Both the council and the Sydney West Joint Regional Planning Panel have approved the construction of a $25 million, 20-storey mixed-use commercial/residential tower over six levels of basement car parking.

The panel, which started operating in July 2009, is the consent authority for regionally significant developments worth more than $10 million. The tower, to be constructed by Better Buildings Pty Limited, will rise from Second Ave, Blacktown, (within walking distance of Blacktown train station) and will include 168 residential units and 690sq m of commercial floor space.

The council last year said that under the State Government’s Metropolitan Strategy Blacktown was to become one of a string of regional cities and economic hubs within the Sydney basin, including Parramatta, Penrith and Liverpool.

The Advocate reported in 2009 that Mayor Charlie Lowles acknowledged a high-rise office block would help Blacktown achieve regional city status.

Independent councillor Russ Dickens said the building could potentially reflect Blacktown’s “coming of age”

“I can’t be against it if it’s a nice design ... I’m supporting it providing it’s the best structure that complements Blacktown,” Cr Dickens said.

Liberal councillor Nick Tyrell said “I say go for it, as long it’s near the CBD.”

After the development application was lodged, it went on public display from July 29 to August 12 last year.

Only one objection was received, from the Serbian Orthodox Church, which is near the site.
The church was concerned that the tower would increase traffic. It was also concerned future occupants would object to the church bell being rung. However, the council assessed that neither issue warranted refusal.

No commencement date for construction has been set.

http://blacktown-advocate.whereilive.com.au/news/story/soaring-blacktown-tower-is-our-coming-of-age/

Failure's building in Blacktown

BLACKTOWN deputy mayor Stephen Bali has given a vote of no confidence to the construction of a 20-storey skyscraper. Considered by many as a key to turning Blacktown into the new Parramatta, Cr Bali last week slammed the council and Sydney West Joint Regional Planning Panel’s approval for a development application to build a $25 million mixed-use commercial/residential tower in the Blacktown CBD.

Cr Bali said development application approvals for several Blacktown skyscrapers in recent years created false hope as nothing significant had progressed to the construction stage.

“It’s amazing how many (high-rise buildings) have come before council but not one has been approved,” Cr Bali said. “I don’t think we’ve done enough planning to support these large buildings if and when they do get built.”

His comments follow revelations by the council last month that between 2001-05 nine high-rise buildings were approved for development in the northern precinct (a development area north of the railway line that encompasses the northern part of the CBD).

Only one has been built - an 8-storey building on First Ave, Blacktown, the smallest of the buildings approved.

The council said all the other high-rise approvals had lapsed except for the current approval of a 20-storey building at 29 Second Ave.

Initial site works were conducted to preserve the development application but the site has remained largely vacant with the council stating that construction stalled due to the economy.”

While supporting the construction of high rise buildings, Liberal councillor Jess Diaz is concerned construction may not go ahead.

“I have some doubt whether this is going to happen. We have approved ... a number of buildings and they are becoming holes ... we don’t really know whether this one is going to be built.”

http://blacktown-advocate.whereilive...-in-blacktown/

·
Streetwalker
7,025 Posts
That whole side of Blacktown station is a run-down dump so this tower will help revitalise that area. You would be surprised how many streets in that section near the station to this very day do not have curbing, gutters and footpaths .... looks third world in some sections ......

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Interesting that they want to build it on that side of the rail line as opposed to building it in the retail and commercial core itself.

Blacktown is a goldmine. I have to admit Westpoint looks quite good inside.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Has anyone heard about this plan for Blacktown RSL proposed by the council a few years ago which apparently has stalled? There's a comment section in the article so anyone who wants to post something feel free.

CBD in limbo

AMBITIOUS plans for the Blacktown CBD have stalled.

Blacktown RSL owns three hectares of land in the northern precinct that it wants to transform with high-rise commercial buildings, a mixed-use plaza, and club with leisure and entertainment precinct.

General manager of the club, Alan Middleton, thinks the development would attract big-name companies and government departments looking for affordable office space close to public transport and services.

The office jobs would have a flow-on effect, Mr Middleton said, ‘‘and all of a sudden you’re getting these job numbers coming in and revitalising the CBD’’.

Mr Middleton took his idea for the development to Blacktown Council in mid-2008 and concept plans were discussed.

He says no progress has been made on the plans since October 2009.

The area north of Blacktown Train Station and bordered by Third Avenue and Sunnyholt Road is zoned to allow mixed-use high-rise developments.

Blacktown Council has stated in its Blacktown City 2025 vision statement that it wants to attract the type of development proposed by the RSL.

The vision for the year 2025 says: ‘‘Blacktown centre is focused on the Blacktown Transport Interchange, and is characterised by modern high-rise developments as well as formal and informal open spaces''.

‘‘The northern and southern precincts of the CBD are linked to allow for pedestrian movement and easy access.’’

The council has gone as far as to approve several mixed-use high-rise developments in the northern precinct in recent years but most have not gone ahead.

Architects and developers involved in the projects have blamed the stalled progress on a combination of conditions imposed on the council by the state government and a perceived reluctance from the council to modernise its planning controls.

Mayor Allan Pendleton said in December last year he wanted to attract more business to the CBD.

‘‘I believe the Blacktown CBD needs revitalising and if we can get more business and people in the CBD it will change the whole mix of Main Street,’’ he said.

But more recently he told the Sun that the council also had an obligation to make sure planning and development was appropriate before giving it the green light.

‘‘We have got to get up above in a helicopter and look at what’s best for the whole site,’’ councillor Pendleton said.

The Mayor said the council had been drafting a new Land and Environment Policy that may alleviate some of the concerns held by developers.

The Sun will look more closely at the RSL’s plans and other developments proposed for the northern precinct next week.

Tell us below what you think needs to happen in Blacktown to turn it into a more vibrant CBD.

http://www.blacktownsun.com.au/news/local/news/general/cbd-in-limbo/2111927.aspx?storypage=2

The concepts in the article

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/full/1163442.jpg

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/full/1163443.jpg

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/full/1163444.jpg

http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/full/1163445.jpg

And a more recent article on basically the same news again with comments section

http://www.blacktownsun.com.au/news/local/news/general/highrise-dream-hits-brick-wall/2117521.aspx

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
It's bitten the dust.
If they had bitten the bullet they would have knuckled down and got on with it - and it's a pity they didn't.
What happened to that 25 storey tower plan that was floating around for Blacktown? Another one that bit the dust, I guess.

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
Probably the same one I'm thinking of - there was a big fuss about it a couple of years back with much carrryon about the views from the it and how far it would be able to be seen from and the mayor claiming it was the new & future Blacktown - you know, all the usual guff. Then nothing. GFC again?

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
Was out at Blacktown yesterday. That Kmart site just south of Westpoint would be a prime location for re-development. At the moment, Kmart is housed in a large single-storey building with an expansive surface-level car park surrounding it.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
And the first K mart store in NSW as well. It hasn't moved since opening there in the late 1960's.

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
^^ And regional NSW too.

Why not? Night fillers and security are already in there. All that's required is one checkout staff member.

·
4,950 Posts
Most K-Marts open 24 hours in Sydney.
Really? I lived in Sydney for 18yrs and I've never seen one open for 24hrs before. I didn't even think there were any supermarkets open 24hrs in Sydney anymore, although I do remember when there used to be, maybe 5 or so years ago.

·
4,950 Posts
Really? I lived in Sydney for 18yrs and I've never seen one open for 24hrs before. I didn't even think there were any supermarkets open 24hrs in Sydney anymore, although I do remember when there used to be, maybe 5 or so years ago.
Ok I had a look and there are 7 K-marts open 24hrs in Sydney metro - couldn't find any 24hrs Coles stores though (and you'd think they'd be more useful than a Kmart being open 24hrs?? I mean who goes looking for a tracksuit at 3am??)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
^^
I went there at midnight before but there were no customers except me... I felt so awkward and couldn't stay too long.

41 - 60 of 386 Posts