SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 434 Posts

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.smh.com.au/national/coun...e-bondi-junction-highrises-20090722-dtmo.html

Council forced to accept more Bondi Junction high-rises
Elicia Murray Urban Affairs Reporter
July 23, 2009

BONDI JUNCTION is to get more high-rise office towers on two of its busiest streets after Waverley Council passed a draft plan that will govern development in the town centre for the next two decades.

The plan permits 60-metre towers at Grafton Street and Oxford Street on sites now occupied by low-rise structures.

It also sets zones along the ridgeline and next to residential areas where buildings taller than 30 metres will be allowed.

Faced with strong community opposition, the Mayor of Waverley, Sally Betts, said it could have been worse.

The Department of Planning had instructed council to adopt a local environment plan for Bondi Junction with a floor space ratio of 10:1, permitting greater height limits and bigger floorplates.

Under the plan adopted by council, the maximum floor space ratio is 8:1.

"We absolutely do not want huge high rise," Cr Betts said. "It is important that the State Government realises that the council stands together with the community and won't accept overdevelopment."

The Bondi Junction plan is one of the first examples of the Department of Planning's new template local environment plan system. Councils are rewriting their plans according to a prescribed formula, accommodating population and job targets set in the State Government's planning blueprint, the Metropolitan Strategy.

Waverley Council was instructed to provide space for an extra 4400 jobs in Bondi Junction by 2025.

John Mant, a planner who addressed the meeting on Tuesday, said the Planning Department was bullying the council into accepting its regime. "Bondi Junction just has to put up with the consequences of this imposed top-down, could-be-anywhere, one-size-fits-all approach to planning," Mr Mant said.

Unanimously passed by council, the draft plan must be signed off by the Planning Minister, Kristina Keneally, before it takes effect. The State Labor Member for Coogee, Paul Pearce, said he supported council's decision and would encourage Ms Keneally to accept the plan.

"To impose a template which essentially developed out of the Chatswood model is ratbaggery. These things have to be tailored. That is the problem with the template approach. As a starting point, it is fine but then you've got to work around what you've got on the ground," Mr Pearce said.

A resident, Virginia Milson, said the plan failed to address traffic congestion. She also criticised its focus on commercial buildings at the expense of mixed-use developments. "It's too simplistic. Since when has Bondi Junction been Chatswood?"

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
253-255 Oxford St has a DA in for demolishion and construction of 14 storey building. DA was noted in Wentworth Courier.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
"We absolutely do not want huge high rise," Cr Betts said.

Oh. I never knew 60m high rises are huge. Hey, what's the height of Centrepoint tower?

"It is important that the State Government realises that the council stands together with the community and won't accept overdevelopment."

Haha, if they think this is overdevelopment, let's put them in China or Hong Kong and see what they would think. Don't they realise how fast many other world cities are developing? If we don't start ignoring those nimbys, Sydney's going to fall behind fast.

"It's too simplistic. Since when has Bondi Junction been Chatswood?"

Isn't Bondi Junction already the Chatswood of the East? Isn't it already the commercial and retail centre of the eastern suburbs like Chatswood is to the northern suburbs?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Stupit Nimbys. They just want to protect the view from their apartment.

60m is still too low!! Should be 90m at least.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
253-255 Oxford St has a DA in for demolishion and construction of 14 storey building. DA was noted in Wentworth Courier.
That building is absurdly grotty (e.g. has window-mounted air conditioners all over it). But it's currently 9 or 10 floors high, so not much change there.

nameless dude said:
Oh. I never knew 60m high rises are huge
Cr Betts knows presumably the largest buildings are already over 80m high. The last large building constructed in Bondi Junction was the Council-fuglified Genoa towers. Cr Betts probably would have voted to approve it in its original form, but being the then minority Liberal leader, wouldn't have got very far. Interestingly, now in majority, the Liberals very concerned about NIMBY pandering...

Isn't Bondi Junction already the Chatswood of the East? Isn't it already the commercial and retail centre of the eastern suburbs like Chatswood is to the northern suburbs?
25 years ago there would have been more tall buildings in Bondi Jn than Chatswood.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
They are lucky in the fact that they wont be treated to 150 metre towers like in Chatswood. It has been four years since Genoa was built. 60 metres is only 16 storeys for office towers or 20 for a residential tower.

The tallest towers, Eastgate Gardens are 85 metres tall, so any tallies would only be 75 % of the height of those towers.

If you walk around Bondi Junction, notice how highrises are spread. While it may appear clustered from a distance, this is not the situation. Many of the older buildings are falling into a state of disrepair.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Excellent news for BJ. Its a great location, well serviced by PT and close to the City and beaches and can support more high-rise, be it office or residential.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I am surprised that there is a DA for the 253 Oxford St site. I would have thought a refurb would have been eaiser and cost effective.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
I am surprised that there is a DA for the 253 Oxford St site. I would have thought a refurb would have been eaiser and cost effective.
Just from a cursory glance (plus Google Street View), 253, while some 10 floors high is only maybe 8 metres wide and doesn't stay at full height for its full depth (ie there's like two small offices only on the top floors). I've been in that building and from memory there's only one elevator, which is telling.

No. 255 would appear to be the adjacent building. Looks about 15 years newer. It's only 4 floors though.

So together, there'd be nothing worth salvaging.

·
Registered
945 Posts
i saw this is the paper..great news imo. oxford st east of the mall really needs some life kicked into it, because at the moment it's straight up shiteous. and 60m is tiny. Genoa, mentioned before, is 56m, so that gives you an idea of how much of an impact these new towers really wont make.

also, fabian, in your picture you can see the area that this plan affects - just east of that cluster of orange towers (not eastgate, the ones infront) and around the same height as those ones too.

also just to correct you fabs, the tallest tower in bondi is the westfield one - old nokia plaza. from memory its about 105 (maybe 95?) metres tall and then some with the tower on top..i think. it's around that anyway. i think cul knows.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Oxford St East is pretty feral. Is CQ Lounge still open? That nightclub just across Hungry Jacks.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Yeah, Oxford St East is pretty feral. Is CQ Lounge still open? That nightclub just across Hungry Jacks.
Something is open there anyway. Unlike Hungry Jacks which is long gong (and the building is up for redevelopment as it's kind of, umm, dangerous - only into another strip mall shop though)

·
Registered
945 Posts
yeh it needs some glass to counter all those balconies. there's actually one completely glass tower right behind the myer side of westfield. whenever i see it i always think it should be twice its height.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
The Waverley Council DA Tracking lists the following for 253-55 Oxford St

Demolition of existing buildings & construction of fourteen storey office / retail building with two levels of basement carparking

Ncn Investments is the company that lodged the D/A. This was lodged on June 29.

Documents are not available for online viewing.

An error was made too with the tallest building in Bondi Junction. Emporis lists Westfield Tower II (the taller one) at 93 metres tall. Eastgate Towers are 85 metres.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Yes this is ancient history. The whole town square plan and revitalising Rowe Street etc. It is still on their website. I think they should just have a chuckle and take it down.

1 - 20 of 434 Posts