SkyscraperCity banner

1301 - 1320 of 1600 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
No doubt there is plenty of bad urban planning and bad architecture in Sydney. Rather a pity that Farrelly should pick on Green Square, Ovo and Infinity which are some of the best examples of recent design in this city...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Personally I don’t disagree with anything they’ve said in that article, I’ve lived in apartment in inner city for the past 7 years. Specifically In some of those areas mentioned, including Green Square for 4 years.

And they’re absolutely correct that some apartments lack natural light, cross ventilation or useable balcony space. I’ve inspected dozens if not hundreds of apartments over the years, not just for living in but also investment. And those three things are all features I look for in any apartment I look to buy it living in.

Some of the apartments built in and around inner city Sydney, and in this case Green Square are shocking. Designed in a way that would limit ventilation let alone cross-ventilation, some with natural direct light limited to barely a couple of hours during summer and balconies which were subsequently useless as useable space.

Yes this is partially a dig at the developers, but also the design standards which they are bound by.

·
Registered
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,304 (Edited)
Sounds like Seminar for Architecture 101 when all the students are busily reinventing the planning wheel.

All those requirements for cross ventilation, single loaded corridors, proximity to outside light sources, single, slender towers with small footprints, overshadowing, etc., are all rules from the CoS planning rule book under which Green Square, among others, has been and is being built so I think a lot of assumptions are being made without proper research. I'm not impressed by the small balconies but then so many remain unused and I doubt it is just size or wind factors; some people just don't use them, except maybe for drying the washing. Also, re cross ventilation, be careful what you wish for. My first apartment had splendid cross ventilation but even a hint of wind and windows/doors had to be slammed shut as everything got blown across the room.

Councils make the rules and are supposed to police them so it's not, as is implied, developers going rampant. If the buildings/apartments fail in some aspects then it is not just the developers at fault.

Also, architects design the buildings which must conform to council planning regulations.

It is also rigid council regulations for FSR and height controls that, together with developers' need for profit, exacerbate the issue that results in minimum sized apartments since about 2005.

All the huffing about tall buildings and environment seems to be philosophy driven rather than real world driven.

Interesting that 2 of the most outspoken contributers are from Hill Thalis Architects - remember failed Barangaroo design? Also interesting is that the Thalis of Hill Thalis is a CoS councillor.

Methinks there is some sort of agenda involved here and not enough mea culpa from the architects. Maybe there is also some disgruntlement because they are not the architects winning the design competitions and getting the work.

I've lived in Green Square since 2005 and far from the 'dark, Satanic' horror depicted by Dotty Betty, it is a great place to live, leafy, lots of green landscaping, parks galore, people - and dogs! - about especially in the parks and cafés, the East Village Shopping Centre is always busy and is dead handy, and the area is so accessible to everything. Traffic is often difficult, but where isn't it?

As for any shortcomings of the Town Centre, well, it isn't even half built yet, you Noddies! Give us a break.

Nothing new here, folks, move on!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Sounds like Seminar for Architecture 101 when all the students are busily reinventing the planning wheel.

All those requirements for cross ventilation, single loaded corridors, proximity to outside light sources, single, slender towers wiith small footprints, overshadowing, etc., are all rules from the CoS planning rule book under which Green Square, among others, has been and is being built so I think a lot of assumptions are being made without proper research. I'm not impressed by the small balconies but then so many remain unused and I doubt it is just size or wind factors; some people just don't use them, except maybe for drying the washing. Also, re cross ventilation, be careful what you wish for. My first apartment had splendid cross ventilation but even a hint of wind and windows/doors had to be slammed shut as everything got blown across the room.

Councils make the rules and are supposed to police them so it's not, as is implied, developers going rampant. If the buildings/apartments fail in some aspects then it is not just the developers at fault.

Also, architects design the buildings which must conform to council planning regulations.

It is also rigid council regulations for FSR and height controls that, together with developers' need for profit, exacerbate the issue that results in minimum sized apartments since about 2005.

All the huffing about tall buildings and environment seems to be philosophy driven rather than real world driven.

Interesting that 2 of the most outspoken contributers are from Hill Thalis Architects - remember failed Barangaroo design? Also interesting is that the Thalis of Hill Thalis is a CoS councillor.

Methinks there is some sort of agenda involved here and not enough mea culpa from the architects. Maybe there is also some disgruntlement because they are not the architects winning the design competitions and getting the work.

I've lived in Green Square since 2005 and far from the 'dark, Satanic' horror depicted by Dotty Betty, it is a great place to live, leafy, lots of green landscaping, parks galore, people - and dogs! - about especially in the parks and cafés, the East Village Shopping Centre is always busy and is dead handy, and the area is so accessible to everything. Traffic is often difficult, but where isn't it?

As for any shortcomings of the Town Centre, well, it isn't even half built yet, you Noddies! Give us a break.

Nothing new here, folks, move on!

Rather disingenuous also to headline this rather confused and misleading article with the worst possible photo you could ever take of FJMT’s Ovo building, which Elizabeth Farrelly had recently trashed in her article!!! None dare call it conspiracy!!!

·
Registered
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,306
The photo is also several months old as the reconstruction of Navins & Portman lanes is complete as are the Ovo buildings, except for Infinity in the background, so I can only assume it was deliberately chosen to look as bad as possible.

I think the contrast between old and new is striking but the commentary made sure it would be interpreted negatively.

Manipulation much?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Minimum standards for apartment size, balcony size and depth, room sizes, natural lighting, ventilation, storage, room depth away from windows, security of common areas etc. are mandated in the State Environmental Planning Policy 65 (SEPP65) to which councils are required to enforce.

In the course of studying to become an architect (and indeed in practice) it is necessary to be fully cognisant not only with the legislation, but with the understanding that it covers only a minimum standard. I think it's a certainty that almost all architects would like to offer better products, however commercial pressures more often make it difficult. I don't think its unreasonable as per the article for an architects gab fest to complain about poor standards as the reality is that unless the legislation (SEPP65) is updated, NSW apartments will not generally get much better, or worse for that matter.

·
Registered
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,310
811 ELIZABETH STREET
Zetland

Meriton site on Elizabeth St, Joynton Av, new Zetland Av, Portman St and new lane.

Stage 1 DA approved but no Stage 2 lodged yet. There is movement:

Application number D/2018/1196

Address 811 Elizabeth Street ZETLAND NSW 2017

Description Integrated Development. Excavation and shoring works for proposed redevelopment of site.

Estimated Cost $3,934,061

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
https://architectureau.com/articles/joynton-avenue-creative-precinct/

Recent laudatory article in Architecture AU about the design of the Joynton Avenue Creative Precinct with some terrific photos of parts of the project I haven’t seen before. Unfortunately the article contains the usual moan-fest about the state of housing in Green Square and the writing is remorselessly turgid in style!! Sigh.....

·
Registered
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,315
811 ELIZABETH STREET
Joynton Av, Portman St, Zetland Av & unnamed lane.
Zetland

DA on exhibition for excavation and shoring of site but no news of who won the design competition.
PTW did the Stage 1 planning.
Waiting for the Stage 2 DA which will reveal who and what of the design.

·
Registered
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,317
UNO & JADE

Photo 12 nov 2018

Looking from west on Geddes Avenue to long west side to Paul Street and north side to Geddes Avenue.

·
Registered
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,318
Le lac du Parc Drying Green???

After today's heavy rain, new puddle on the site of the future The Drying Green Park.

photo x VuongGuy

1301 - 1320 of 1600 Posts