SkyscraperCity banner

1361 - 1380 of 1600 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
You have to keep in mind finance, sales, and the logic of not swamping the market, especially with the recent downturn in the market, and the ability to raise money to sustain construction as well as find enough skilled workers. Even Mirvac can't sensibly and responsibly justify overbuilding.

Also, Mirvac is not the only player at the Town Centre and the greater Green Square Urban Renewal Area which includes the Lachlan Precinct, Waterloo, North Rosebery, Epsom Park, Zetland, Mary O'Brien Precinct, Zetland, and assorted smaller projects in Waterloo and Alexandria.

In the GSQ Town Centre, Bridgehill has UNO and Jade projects nearing completion with sites 9A (16 storeys) & 9B (9 storeys) waiting in the wings. Lateral Estate had no less than 6 buildings under construction on sites 10 & 11, heights ranging from 3 to 9 storeys.
Don't forget Site 14 (Meriton - up to 15 storeys) and Site 15 (Mirvac - up to 23 storeys) are in the pipeline.

There is no word on when sites 7, 17 & 18 will commence construction, together or singly.
Is there any word on sites 8 and 19, and the construction of Baker and Hinchcliff streets?

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,362 (Edited)
Sites 8A and 8B (on Botany Road), commercial mixed use = no news.

Sites 8C and 8D, Sites 19A and 19B are included in the Stage 1 DA below:

Application number D/2016/1557

Address 377-495 Botany Road ZETLAND NSW 2017

Description Stage 1 DA Concept Proposal for 4 building for mixed use buildings on sites 8C, 8D, 19A and 19B.

Estimated Cost $298,063,681

Lodged date 04/11/16

Decision Approved with Conditions

Decision date 30/11/17

Authority Central Sydney Planning Committee

Despite approval 18 months ago, no further known action though there may or may not be things happening behind the scenes.
Details:
377-495 Botany Road $298.1m
Site 8C 24 storeys 87m
Site 8D 10 storeys 38m
Site 19A 21 storeys 76.5m
Site 19B 10 storeys 38m

Barker Street has begun, already built between Portman Lane and Ebsworth Street, and will be continued as adjoining development progresses. Next stage will be built along with the construction of Site 17 and Site 18.

Hinchcliffe Street should start construction in the next year or so as Lateral Estate builds its projects on sites 10 A & B, and 11A & B. This will be the southern section. When Bridgehill builds its Site 9A and 9B (both approved) buildings on Geddes Avenue, Hinchcliffe St will stretch from Tosh Lane & Sonny Leonard St to Geddes Av. When Mirvac builds on Sites 8 and 19, Hinchcliffe will continue through to GSQ Plaza.

·
Registered
74,931 Posts
SITES 7 & 17 & 18 ALL APPROVED LAST WEEK!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Can we please put a stop to all this rectilinear-ness. This isn’t Berlin.

·
Registered
74,931 Posts
hopefully these will start up soon which will give the town centre a boost

Reactions: fro

·
Registered
74,931 Posts
july1
i have spraying to do

aquatic centre coming along nice;y

Reactions: Brizer and Gimble

·
Registered
54 Posts
In my view this area is a hodge podge of mix matched architectural styles with no urban cohesion whatsoever. Infiinity and the new library are welcome additions, as will be the aquatic centre, but it is all marred on either side by bland and mediocre boxed apartments that fail to complement each other. Surely there must have been an overriding governing body that determined standards, architectural alignment and an emphasis on street activation? Obviously not. This whole district is going to be filled with Woolies, Coles and bottle shops and deserted of human life past 6pm.

What happened to the Green Square masterplan? Its seems a case of bring in a multitude of developers to pretty much design and build what they want. So ugly and such a wasted opportunity.

·
Registered
74,931 Posts
^really?
im quite happy with whats being built and planned for Green square.
all going according to plan. outstanding developments and styles.
are you ok little fella? wanna talk to uncle cul?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I wouldn’t dismiss David Levinson too quickly. I’ve met him a few times, he’s smart, and a lot less ideological than some others. I haven’t read his full post, but I agree that Green Square is a multi-jurisdictional mess and could do with a lot of improvement.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I also largely agree with sydneyrocks’s comment a few posts above. More smaller-scale enterprises across the area would’ve brought more life. The current model is fairly soulless, awash as it is with posh paving stones and empty bike paths.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I wouldn’t dismiss David Levinson too quickly. I’ve met him a few times, he’s smart, and a lot less ideological than some others. I haven’t read his full post, but I agree that Green Square is a multi-jurisdictional mess and could do with a lot of improvement.
He's suggesting the actual published long term plan for the area as if it's his own idea.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,376
^^
And he has made assumptions about the situation when it is obviously an area under construction. For instance, had he done his research, he would know that the closure of the part of O'Riordan between Wyndham and Botany has been the plan for decades so hardly a compelling new insight.

People should research before leaping to conclusions without substance and making assumptions that are uninformed.

I found his whole tone smug and self-congratulatory as well a rather pretentious.

As for "More smaller-scale enterprises across the area would’ve brought more life" is just unsubstantiated opinion. It also ignores the reality that a town centre, not a suburban village, is being constructed. Has he researched the DCP for the town centre?

As the town centre is not yet half built, how about using a bit of common sense and wait for the finished product and give it time to settle in before making such comments.

·
Registered
668 Posts
@Gimble - Fair enough.

Without having read his full post still (and I won't get around to it), I did see his quick sketch regarding an actual "green square" above the station.

This is scheduled to become an office tower? Therefore, the long term plan does not correspond to his idea?

Page 14:
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/199071/Green-Square-Town-Centre-Planning-Proposal-stage-2-sites.pdf

Page 26:
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au...n-Centre-Infrastructure-Strategy-2006-DRS.pdf

To me, this looks ignorant of traffic flow and traffic needs in the area - there are irreplaceable arterial roads that pass through Green Square.

Anyway, that's my 2c. When I have the time, I'll publish my idea for traffic and pedestrian flow at Green Square.

·
Registered
668 Posts
^^
And he has made assumptions about the situation when it is obviously an area under construction. For instance, had he done his research, he would know that the closure of the part of O'Riordan between Wyndham and Botany has been the plan for decades so hardly a compelling new insight.

People should research before leaping to conclusions without substance and making assumptions that are uninformed.

I found his whole tone smug and self-congratulatory as well a rather pretentious.

As for "More smaller-scale enterprises across the area would’ve brought more life" is just unsubstantiated opinion. It also ignores the reality that a town centre, not a suburban village, is being constructed. Has he researched the DCP for the town centre?

As the town centre is not yet half built, how about using a bit of common sense and wait for the finished product and give it time to settle in before making such comments.
I was basing my opinion on Zetland (which is quite successful), and also the Meriton stuff at Waterloo (mixed success), and the area in-between the old Meriton and Zetland (not successful in my opinion - the new avenue that's opened north of East Village).

I was also responding to @sydneyrocks's post, and I generally agreed with his sentiment.

--
Page 26 (the link in my original post didn't work).
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au...n-Centre-Infrastructure-Strategy-2006-DRS.pdf

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,380
"the area in-between the old Meriton and Zetland (not successful in my opinion - the new avenue that's opened north of East Village)."

That is, the Lachlan Precinct between Lachlan Street and O'Dea Avenue, Bourke Street and Sth Dowling Street = area still under construction including street network!!!

GSTC: TRANSPORT PLACE. The area above the GSQ Railway Station will extend to Bourke Road. O'Riordan Street will be curved to join Wyndham Street and its north end between Wyndham and Botany so it will disappear under Transport Place.

On Transport Place will be commercial mixed use towers of approx. 8, 15 and 21 storeys.

The information is all there to be found, including on this forum.

1361 - 1380 of 1600 Posts