SkyscraperCity banner

1581 - 1600 of 1602 Posts

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,582
SOHO
Sonny Leonard Street
btwn Hinchcliffe St & Paul St - GREEN SQUARE TOWN CENTRE!
Zetland

Now complete apart from 'finishing touches'.

Architect: CANDALEPAS ARCHITECTS
Developer: Lateral Estate

Part Three

BUILDING A

Front to Sonny Leonard Street looking west toward Hinchcliffe Street.

Rpt. Front to Sonny Leonard Street looking east to Paul Street.

Detail of front to Sonny L St.

Detail of front to Sonny L St at Paul St.
UNO Apartments right background.

Townhouse style apartments on Sonny L St.

Through building link to future internal 'park'.
View to the OVO buildings.

Rpt. Western end on Hinchcliffe Street.

Eastern end on Paul St.

Final photos: hold off on the likely outraged Orage de clavier from the guérriers de clavier until you see the final pic. [Yes, I'm taking the mickey]

The pretty 'utilitarian' rear view or northern side of Building A, seen from the intersection of Geddes Av & Paul St.

All is not lost! This delightful view will disappear from public view eventually, covered by this building on the currently empty site fronting onto Geddes Av btwn Paul St and Hinchcliffe St.

Site 9B by Bridgehill. Architect: MHNDUnion Architects. The competition winning design of 2014 (!).
Planning and approval work is going on for the underground carpark beneath this building and the site of 9A across Hinchcliffe Street.

Proposed entrance on Geddes Avenue. You can see the back wall of SOHO Building A in the background beyond the small park between the two buildings.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
The complex looks great but $100m is too much - and no parking! Opening Monday Feb 1 (2021!)
Gunyama Park Aquatic and Recreation Centre opens at $100m taxpayer cost
jan 13 Telegraph

Clover Moore’s new pool at Green Square will open next month almost a year late and $50 million over budget – and there is hardly anywhere to park.

Lord Mayor Clover Moore’s new pool at Green Square will finally open next month at a cost to ratepayers of more than $100 million
— double what was budgeted when the project was signed off in 2015.

And there is plenty of parking — but only for people who are riding a bike.

“This level of blowout is beyond reasonable expectations,” Sydney City councillor Dr Kerryn Phelps said.
“Ratepayers rightly expect that public funds are managed effectively with a strong focus on value for money,” Dr Phelps said.
“It’s taken too long to complete.”

Pool operator Belgravia Leisure was handed the keys to the state-of-the-art complex, which includes a 50m pool,
25m indoor pool, hydrotherapy pool, fitness centre and creche, on December 17.
It has been paid more than $1 million to operate the pool even though no members of the public have been inside.

The centre has 138 bicycle racks but no car park. There are 40 metered spots on the surrounding streets with just four dedicated disabled parking spots.

Others are expected to use Mobility Parking Permits to park on the street.

The Gunyama Park Aquatic Centre was the biggest community asset ever built by the council and would open its doors on Monday, February 1.

Belgravia Leisure had to recruit and train almost 150 staff including lifeguards.

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
Copious amounts of carparking is unnecessary for this project.

It’s an aquatic centre built to service the local Green Square community. In other words, most people should be able to walk and cycle to the facility. People in other parts of the City of Sydney LGA have access to their own aquatic centres. In the event that they want to use this particular facility, they are able to catch the train to Green Square and enjoy the very pleasant walk to the aquatic centre.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The alleged lack of parking is just another dig at Clover Moore's support for bicycle infrastructure and public transport.
I'd hazard a guess that the majority of City of Sydney pools and aquatic facilities actually have very little dedicated parking facilities.

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,588
Given the density of the population within a 1-2km radius and the number of bus routes that pass it on Joynton Avenue (304, 343, 320, 348, 301) and given the GSQ Railway Station is c.600m away, I think it is high time people discovered what their two feet are for.

The lack of parking is deliberate and contrary to what some locals seem to believe, you don't need to take half the house with you when you take the kids for a swim.

HMoriarty: pretty sure you are right about the lack of parking at other city pools.

Even though I cannot be counted as a fan of our estimable LM Moore, it is obvious that the DTs has a bit of a vendetta against her and everything she does, so read article in that light.

·
Here we go again
1,404 Posts
Looks a bit too 1960s brutalist. Looks okay now but I'm questioning how it'll look 20-30 years down the line

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Final photos: hold off on the likely outraged Orage de clavier from the guérriers de clavier until you see the final pic. [Yes, I'm taking the mickey]

I'm amazed the fracas I have caused by criticising this building, sarcasm or not, unless you designed this building personally you shouldn't take offence, or call someone a keyboard warrior when it receives criticism.

I'll also argue against this 'back of the building' mentality which excuses poor design, unless its facing a cliff face then its going to be facing something, and in this case its going to be facing another building/s and more apartments.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Copious amounts of carparking is unnecessary for this project.

It’s an aquatic centre built to service the local Green Square community. In other words, most people should be able to walk and cycle to the facility. People in other parts of the City of Sydney LGA have access to their own aquatic centres. In the event that they want to use this particular facility, they are able to catch the train to Green Square and enjoy the very pleasant walk to the aquatic centre.
I'd say in circumstances like this, car parking helps for young families if there going there for swim classes. Understand most people can walk, but with a toddler or two in toe, a short walk isn't necessarily leisurely.

Agree most people should be able to walk or cycle to the facility though.

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
1,689 Posts
I'll also argue against this 'back of the building' mentality which excuses poor design, unless its facing a cliff face then its going to be facing something, and in this case its going to be facing another building/s and more apartments.
To be fair, with the adjacent building built across a relatively narrow street, you'll basically never see that facade in its entirety again so it's no big deal. I don't think the apartment's occupants would sweat the difference between a view of another inoffensive window and a view of another window plus a small part of a holistic design.

If a back-of-building were facing a cliff it would be visible forever, and the design would be more important!

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,594 (Edited)
I'm amazed the fracas I have caused by criticising this building, sarcasm or not, unless you designed this building personally you shouldn't take offence, or call someone a keyboard warrior when it receives criticism.

What fracas? A couple of points to give a fuller picture than the one photo gives is hardly a fracas. And I posted the wry (call it sarcasm if you need to though the hint was in the use of French) remark about keyboard warriors before you posted your photo so you put yourself in the firing line. No fracas, not even a feeble altercation.

Not sure why you believe only the designer is eligible to take offence. I didn't take offence, not even on behalf of the architect, but I did think your post/photo was selective, and it seems, you are the one taking offence at being challenged.
We are allowed to disagree with you and to take you to task, as you have done to me, among others, who have had a contrary opinion.
All good.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
What fracas? A couple of points to give a fuller picture than the one photo gives is hardly a fracas. And I posted the wry (call it sarcasm if you need to though the hint was in the use of French) remark about keyboard warriors before you posted you photo so you put yourself in the firing line. No fracas, not even a feeble altercation.

Not sure why you believe only the designer is eligible to take offence. I didn't take offence, not even on behalf of the architect, but I did think your post/photo was selective, and it seems, you are the one taking offence at being challenged.
We are allowed to disagree with you and to take you to task, as you have done to me, among others, who have had a contrary opinion.
All good.
If you really believed we were allowed to disagree and happy to take on others opinions you wouldn't be making wry remarks in french about keyboard warriors now would you.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
To be fair, with the adjacent building built across a relatively narrow street, you'll basically never see that facade in its entirety again so it's no big deal. I don't think the apartment's occupants would sweat the difference between a view of another inoffensive window and a view of another window plus a small part of a holistic design.

If a back-of-building were facing a cliff it would be visible forever, and the design would be more important!
fair point, ill wait and see how wide this street is and what the setback is, it mightn't be visible from Green Square but i don't think that side of the building will be exactly hidden from view.

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,597
If you really believed we were allowed to disagree and happy to take on others opinions you wouldn't be making wry remarks in french about keyboard warriors now would you.
:oops: Sorry, EG, I'll leave you to play by yourself.

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,599
2020-2021 UPDATE

Green Square Town Centre, Zetland

COMPLETIONS

SOHO

Sonny Leonard Street & Tosh Lane btwn Paul St and Hinchcliffe Street
Architect: Candalepas Architect
Developer: Lateral Estate
Building A: 9 storeys @ 30.5m
Building B: 6 @ 21.5m & 3 storeys

View west along Sonny Leonard Street from Paul Street to Hinchcliffe Street.

Tosh Lane @ Paul Street.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

EMINENCE

Zetland Avenue, Joynton Avenue, Elizabeth Street and Frog Park Lane
Architect: DOK ARCHITECTS
Developer: Meriton
Buildings of 15 storeys @ 47.3m, and 9, 7 & 4 storeys

architect's image.

PORTMAN ON THE PARK
Zetland Avenue, Portman Street, Portman Lane & Barker Street.
Architect:
tower: SMART DESIGN STUDIO
midrise: CO-AP ARCHITECTS
Developer: Mirvac
Tower 23 storeys @ 79m
Midrise two x 12 storeys @ 43m
Lowrise 4 storeys

view from Paul Street to frontage to Zetland Avenue with The Drying Green Park on the right.

Tower at Zetland Avenue and Portman Street.

THE DRYING GREEN PARK

Every new image makes the park look less and less interesting. The originally planned waterway along the Zetland Avenue front has become palm trees surrounded be what looks like green concrete or something. Another promising idea 'improved'.
:::::::::::
That's all so far. There may be action on Lateral Estate's Site 10 on Botany Road during the year.

1581 - 1600 of 1602 Posts