SkyscraperCity banner

1601 - 1620 of 1623 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
THE DRYING GREEN PARK

View attachment 967368
Every new image makes the park look less and less interesting. The originally planned waterway along the Zetland Avenue front has become palm trees surrounded be what looks like green concrete or something. Another promising idea 'improved'.
:::::::::::
That's all so far. There may be action on Lateral Estate's Site 10 on Botany Road during the year.
I dont think it has changed that much, if at all, It’s just a different render and angle.
That blue thing you thought was concrete is actually the cascading water feature which follows the original location of the stream which used to run through the area. Previous designs also include cabbage trees in the same location, they’re natives which don’t drop a lot of branches or leaves or require maintenance, probably why they chose them to sit in a water feature.

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,603
TRANSPORT PLACE

Looking from Green Square Plaza, with Library entrance on the left, and the station entrance toward the right behind the spindly gum tree.

Sites 2, 3 & 4
Site is at 'Transport Place' above the GSQ Railway Station and has frontages to Botany Road and O'Riordan Street,
Alexandria
Bates Smart wins Green Square design competition
Jarrod Reedie

Australian design firm Bates Smart has won the City of Sydney’s Design Excellence competition to design a new commercial development at Green Square.

The development will be a combination of public space, retail, workplace and transport and will serve the growing local community of Green Square.

Bates-Smart-Green-Square-Commercial-Development-Design-Competition-Artists-Impression_2.jpg

Commercial city fringe developments are becoming increasingly important to the future of work in Sydney, allowing for greater focus on workplace wellbeing and being able to integrate with the surrounding urban context, while providing workspace that’s very different to commercial tower floorplates.

Bates Smart director Philip Vivian says the development is a win for the area.

“The design creates the civic landmark entry that Green Square needs. The city fringe location, alongside the connection to Green Square’s train station, provides a unique opportunity to create a fringe precinct that invigorates its context and sets the precedent for the workplace of the future.”

Bates-Smart-Green-Square-Commercial-Development-Design-Competition-Artists-Impression_3.jpg

The building’s design pays tribute to the sawtooth industrial architecture witnessed within Green Square. Consisting of two adjoining pieces, they are eventually joined together by a ‘social heart’ made of timber that encourages connectivity and collaboration, the design best reflects the parameters set by local council.

The jury tasked with selecting the winner of the competition describes the design as “an interesting built form, particularly due to the splayed rooftop and height. The Panel unanimously considers that the proposed scheme provides the best response and was capable of achieving design excellence.”

Bates-Smart-Green-Square-Commercial-Development-Design-Competition-Artists-Impression_4.jpg

Bates Smart hopes to achieve a NABERS Water 4.5 Star rating, a Green Star 5 Star rating and a WELL Building Silver rating or higher once completed.

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,604
PORTMAN ON THE PARK & THE DRYING GREEN PARK

Phew! This confirms @ 1.26 that the strange layered blue sections with palms along Zetland Avenue are pools. Wadda relief!

·
Registered
753 Posts
TRANSPORT PLACE

View attachment 1197610
Looking from Green Square Plaza, with Library entrance on the left, and the station entrance toward the right behind the spindly gum tree.

Sites 2, 3 & 4
Site is at 'Transport Place' above the GSQ Railway Station and has frontages to Botany Road and O'Riordan Street,
Alexandria
Bates Smart wins Green Square design competition
Jarrod Reedie

Australian design firm Bates Smart has won the City of Sydney’s Design Excellence competition to design a new commercial development at Green Square.

The development will be a combination of public space, retail, workplace and transport and will serve the growing local community of Green Square.

Bates-Smart-Green-Square-Commercial-Development-Design-Competition-Artists-Impression_2.jpg

Commercial city fringe developments are becoming increasingly important to the future of work in Sydney, allowing for greater focus on workplace wellbeing and being able to integrate with the surrounding urban context, while providing workspace that’s very different to commercial tower floorplates.

Bates Smart director Philip Vivian says the development is a win for the area.

“The design creates the civic landmark entry that Green Square needs. The city fringe location, alongside the connection to Green Square’s train station, provides a unique opportunity to create a fringe precinct that invigorates its context and sets the precedent for the workplace of the future.”

Bates-Smart-Green-Square-Commercial-Development-Design-Competition-Artists-Impression_3.jpg

The building’s design pays tribute to the sawtooth industrial architecture witnessed within Green Square. Consisting of two adjoining pieces, they are eventually joined together by a ‘social heart’ made of timber that encourages connectivity and collaboration, the design best reflects the parameters set by local council.

The jury tasked with selecting the winner of the competition describes the design as “an interesting built form, particularly due to the splayed rooftop and height. The Panel unanimously considers that the proposed scheme provides the best response and was capable of achieving design excellence.”

Bates-Smart-Green-Square-Commercial-Development-Design-Competition-Artists-Impression_4.jpg

Bates Smart hopes to achieve a NABERS Water 4.5 Star rating, a Green Star 5 Star rating and a WELL Building Silver rating or higher once completed.

That looks fantastic!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I don’t think that’s Transport Place. Transport Place is to the north of the station and first needs the roads to be realigned.

That looks like it covers 320-324 Botany and 12 O’Riordan.

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,607
No, G, not literally on Transport Place as it is now, but, in the manner of buildings at Martin Place or Railway Square, etc., it is the general location not the site, as these buildings are on Sites 2, 3 & 4 of the Town Centre DCP and they surround Transport Place.
Transport Place is the place/plaza at Botany Road & O'Riordan Street atop the GSQ Railway Station and contains the main entrance to the station.
O'Riordan Street will be blocked between Botany Road and the future redirection of O'Riordan to join Wyndham more directly. It is not shown here though the Site 1 tower encroaches on the current swing intersection.

FOCUS: Sites 1, 2, 3 & 4
Site 1 includes Transport Place and the proposed 21/22 storey mixed use tower for which no plans have yet been announced.

The DCP

This is from 2014 and there have been some changes since as adjustments are made and DAs processed.

The buildings surrounding Transport Place are indicated as Site 1 - 21 storeys, Site 2 - 15 storeys, Site 3 - 5 storeys (obscured) and Site 4 - 8 storeys.

In the meantime, council has decided to expand Transport Place along Botany Road and has taken a hefty area of Site 3.

The trade-off of the combined sites, now owned by one company (reported last year) is two buildings of 16 storeys (12 O'Riordan St) and 13 storeys (324 Botany Rd) as identified by Gimble.

I have to admit I find some aspects of the images shown of the newly proposed buildings are confusing as some...er...'poetic licence' has been taken to enhance the new buildings.

In time these two buildings will get their own name but the general location identification is Transport Place until someone decides otherwise.

NB PROJECT AT 326-328 BOTANY ROAD which adjoins the lower of the two buildings by BATES SMART, 324 Botany Road, was posted last year in the Green Square thread as, even though it is right beside 324 Botany Road, it is not in the designated area of the Town Centre due to a decision by council not to include the whole super block of Botany Road, O'Riordan Street and Johnson Street in the Town Centre and give it a DCP.
This, surprise, surprise, has resulted in ad hoc development of the area not included in the Town Centre. Not the most sensible of council's decisions IMHO.

Cox Architecture won the design competition for 326 Botany Road:

·
Registered
75,784 Posts
finally,i was only talking to a planner last week about the foamie wie have on display for past 15 years,now finally a da.
looks good , GO THE TERRACOTTA! looks brick,noice
but fairly short? do you think high as Crown 60m?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So they’ve extended the area referred to as ‘Transport Place” from the original concept. I always thought of it as simply the building above the station.

Will there still be a tower in that location?

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,610
Gimble: No, as I tried to explain, the current Transport Place is the open area above the railway station and contains the main entrance.
Transport Place will be extended along Botany Road and will remain an open and larger area.
Calling the surrounding buildings 'Transport Place', is just a convenience term.

Just as we refer to Martin Place to include the buildings surrounding it, buildings surrounding Transport Place are referred to in general terms as 'Transport Place' - for the moment. Who knows what will happen in the future!?

The area of the place/plaza will remain open UNLESS council decides to pop one of its 'community based market, bike and village centre' structures on it! :rolleyes:

Apart from the two buildings by Bates Smart on the sites you identified on Botany Road and O'Riordan Street, there will be the tower on Site 1 which is pretty much on top of the current triangular patch of greenery which is the original Green Square, at the intersection of O'Riordan Street, Bourke Road (sic) and the bit of O'Riordan Street that now swings to join Wyndham Street.

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,611 (Edited)
CUL:

Just guessing, the tower planned for Site 1 may be 60m or a bit over (?) but, as I mentioned above, there have been no plans announced for the site yet.

The tower of the planned building by Bates Smart at 12 O'Riordan is likely to be, maybe, 50m though I hope a bit more.

The Cox building at 326 Botany Road, Alexandria, is DA 2019/657, approved on 5/20. It is indicated to be c.40m high, above ground? RL? It is a bit of a dip there so the RL is probably less than 20m.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
From ArchitectureAU:

Bates Smart’s ‘civic landmark’ for Green Square
INDUSTRY NEWS ArchitectureAU Editorial
15 Mar 2021
Bates Smart's competition winning scheme for Green Square.
1/4
VIEW GALLERY
Bates Smart’s competition winning scheme for Green Square.

Bates Smart has won a City of Sydney Design Excellence competition with its design for an office building in Green Square that offers a contemporary interpretation of the industrial sawtooth roof form.
The practice’s director Philip Vivian said the 28,570-sqaure-metre commercial development would respond to Green Square’s physical, social and historic contexts.
“The design creates the civic landmark entry that Green Square needs,” he said. “The city fringe location, alongside the connection to Green Square’s train station, provides a unique opportunity to create a fringe precinct that invigorates its context and sets the precedent for the workplace of the future.”

The design competition jury said the design had an “interesting built form, particularly due to the splayed rooftop and height.”
The jury unanimously selected Bates Smart’s scheme, which they said provided the best response and was capable of achieving design excellence.
Bates Smart's competition winning scheme for Green Square.

VIEW GALLERY
Bates Smart’s competition winning scheme for Green Square.

The building has been conceived as two volumes, with a through-site link connecting to an adjoining pocket park, creating a smooth public domain transition from the Green Square train station.
This space will be home to cafes and retail tenancies and will be defined by arched forms, chosen to celebrate the area’s industrial history.
Inside, the volumes house two workplace neighbourhoods with individual identities, connected via a naturally ventilated timber “social heart” that encourages connectivity and collaboration.

Vivian noted that commercial city-fringe developments are increasingly important to the future of work in Sydney, as they allow for a greater focus on workplace wellbeing and can integrate with the surrounding urban context.
“This development in Green Square will weave together public space, retail, workplace and transport to create an exciting, holistic, shared place. It will meet growing expectations on commercial space and more importantly, serve the needs of the people as Green Square continues to grow,” he said.

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,613
^^ contained the best view of the project in its Gallery.

Took a bit but I finally trapped the image:

This is the view at the 5 Ways intersection looking from Bourke Street & Botany Road across to Transport Place.

Botany Road is on the left with the big van and a sliver of Infinity on the left.

On the right and going into the distance is O'Riordan Street with a sliver of the green patch that is the original Green Square. It will be the site of the projected 21+ tower eventually.

Question: where has the entrance to GSQ Railway Station gone as it should be right in the centre of Transport Place. Also missing, a traffic light - guess to clear the view of the buildings.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
And the bike shed plus the sculpture and I don’t think the trees along O’Riordan are the actual trees there now.

It’s magic.

My favourite is the Rail Operations Centre. This article removes power lines and traffic lights from real photos.

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,615
Impressive building the ROC, but the images were Big Fibbers!
Still the Sites 2-4 building designs by Bates Smart are very promising.

I wait for council design luminaries to remove the sculptural, shifted forms and reduce the façade to two flat planes in their usual de-knackering 'improvement process'.
Also, the 'improved' designs will be decorated with green bits dangling off every balcony, ledge, roof and whatnot so it ends up looking like something post-Apocalypse.
How long is this fad going to last?
Look what they did to Bates Smart's beautiful design for Site 18: turned the visually interesting, even playful, façades into ordinary, regular, predicable ones. Just to cite one example.

Not that I'm cynical. ;)

And I really hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gimble: No, as I tried to explain, the current Transport Place is the open area above the railway station and contains the main entrance.
Transport Place will be extended along Botany Road and will remain an open and larger area.
Thanks for the informative posts Brizer.

It a bit of shame to discover transport place is planned to continue being just a large open area (I'd call it a wasteland).

I've always hoped one of the development sites would include an intergrated station entrance like what we've seen at Wynyard.

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,617
Transport Place was always intended as an open public space as is Green Square Plaza and Neilson Square or even Martin Place. It can be used for public events, gatherings and such but i only remember it being used as such once.

·
Registered
75,784 Posts
Transport Place was always intended as an open public space as is Green Square Plaza and Neilson Square or even Martin Place. It can be used for public events, gatherings and such but i only remember it being used as such once.
you can tell with new design, that ground level is very important and and basically a building above open space.

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,619
Yes, and it will be further enhanced by the 21+ storey tower on Site 1, and, across Bourke Road, the ever promised, ever ephemeral, Emerald City towers, all with retail and commercial as well as residential.

·
Registered
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,620
CUL & Co. Re Site 1: if it goes to 21 storeys - and given the history of these things, maybe 22 storeys - and comparing it to other 20 and 21 storey buildings in Green Square (Waterloo, Zetland) I suspect it may be 68-72 metres tall.

1601 - 1620 of 1623 Posts