SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1993 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We need a place to discuss projects going on in the Inner West!!! There is some activity going on in this area, particularly in relation to highrise development in suburbs such as Strathfield, Burwood, Ashfield and on former industrial sites along the Parramatta River.

I thought I would kick off the thread by announcing a 10 storey residential tower was proposed for the site of the Ashfield RSL club was rejected by Ashfield Council :bash: This was to include a larger clubhouse. This was despite pleas from the RSL, that it could go bankrupt if it didn't get the green light. The council rejected it because it could cause problems with traffic on Norton Street (Ashfield has one too).

·
Registered
18,457 Posts
There is a block of apartments going up beside the railway just west of the station at Burwood. This proposal has been on and off for so many years I have forgotten how many storeys it is to be now that construction has actually begun. I think it is 12 but it might be 8 or 9 by now.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
testuser said:
There is a block of apartments going up beside the railway just west of the station at Burwood. This proposal has been on and off for so many years I have forgotten how many storeys it is to be now that construction has actually begun. I think it is 12 but it might be 8 or 9 by now.
I've seen that one just to the west of the station. It's a very small site too and I was wondering what they were doing there. It's only one storey tall at present. I'll keep you posted on it.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fabian said:
I've seen that one just to the west of the station. It's a very small site too and I was wondering what they were doing there. It's only one storey tall at present. I'll keep you posted on it.
It's gone up another floor to level one.

·
Registered
18,457 Posts
Yes, it is quite a narrow building. The views in all directions will be great from the upper floors and it certainly is close to transport, but you would need to be deaf and enjoy having yourself and your furniture rock'n'rollin' on a frequent basis.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
testuser said:
Yes, it is quite a narrow building. The views in all directions will be great from the upper floors and it certainly is close to transport, but you would need to be deaf and enjoy having yourself and your furniture rock'n'rollin' on a frequent basis.
I went to a school that was directly on the Illawarra rail line and the trains weren't too annoying when I was there even though many windows weren't insulated from the noise. It is likely the apartments will be insulated to minimise the noise.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Burwood Station is set to have a major upgrade!!!!

From The Inner West Courier
Grand plan for Burwood
Plans for a major Burwood station upgrade may be the most significant development in Burwood for 50 years.
Report EMILY O'KEEFE
Date: August 31

An artist's impression released by Burwood Council last week shows what Burwood station would look like after proposed plans for a major upgrade, estimated to cost in excess of $35 million, are completed.

Under the plans, the station exterior would be revamped and an extra entrance built in Dean Street to feed passengers onto the centre of the platform. Multiple lifts and disabled access points would be installed to all station areas to reverse the current situation where there is no disabled access at all. Help points, cameras and street lighting would also be added for tightened security.

"We are going to go the whole way and we're going to do it right so that this will last for the 50 years before another major upgrade is done," Burwood mayor David Weiley said. The upgrade plans were outlined in a Burwood Council Vision document released last March, which highlighted future planning priorities and development work needed.

The upgrade would be part of a broader infrastructure scheme that would see more open space around the station area and added greenery. One building that the council was looking at buying to earmark for open space was the Westpac Bank on the corner of Railway Parade and Burwood Road, Cr Weiley said.

The council was in discussions with the Department of Infrastructure and Planning to develop an infrastructure scheme to fund the project. "What we hope to do is introduce a developer levy, so that developers wanting to build in the town centre will need to pay a significant amount of money that will then go towards these infrastructure plans," he said.

Cr Weiley said the council's planners had conducted an economic feasibility study which suggested the developer levy could be capable of raising the $100 million needed to pay for the station upgrade and further plans outlined in the Vision document for the area around Burwood railway and the town centre. So far the State Government had shown "a strong level of support" for the project and talks were going very well, Cr Weiley said. But Cr Weiley was reluctant to give an estimate on when the station upgrade was likely to start or be completed.

"What we are doing here at Burwood is groundbreaking stuff that will take time. But it is also something that could be the blueprint for other councils to follow," he said. Doug Sutherland, president of Burwood Chamber of Commerce, said the station upgrade could only mean positive things for Burwood business. "Expenditure of this magnitude will be the most significant improvement and development we've seen in Burwood for the last 50 years," Mr Sutherland said.

"I think it would be welcomed by every business in Burwood because it will make Burwood a more friendly place to travel to." The executive officer of the Physical Disability Council of NSW, Dougie Herd, said he was happy to hear that easy access would be made available at Burwood station and that it was long overdue. "It will not only help people like me in a wheelchair but also parents with prams," he said.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Burwood will eventaully become a true satellite CBD for Sydney.

ATM The churches, groundscrapers, Westfield and a couple of apartment buildings are the most prominent in the area.

Aerials of Burwood:

________

·
Registered
18,457 Posts
the artist's impression shows only the new entrance to the railway station at the corner of Burwood Road and Dean Street. Mind you, it will be a bloody sight of an improvement on what is there now. A part building which is cut off at about 8 storeys, is shown on Dean Street. The impression is indicative not concrete. We live in hope.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The apartment building next to the railway building is progressing allong nicely - now at the stanchions. Still, its very close. Looks good though.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Burwood to get a Scraper!!!!

A 15 storey residential tower is being built at 3 Railway Pde along with a smaller nine storey tower. The development is known as Gateway and should be completed by the end of next year!!!! :) It should be the tallest in the suburb and I'm pretty sure it's the first scraper being built out there. :eek:kay: I'm also sure it's the project that I saw on the train while travelling to and from uni which was also discussed a few posts up.

Lets throw a party for this one :cheers:

:pepper::cucumber::pepper:

It's about time Burwood got something tall.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Muse said:
So they're already under construction?
I'm sure it is. There is a construction site at the moment on Railway Pde just to the west of Burwood Plaza that also backs onto the rail line. As already stated I've noticed the site while travelling on the train through Burwood.

From what I've seen so far, the towers in the renders appear larger & bulkier than they should be. The actual site is very small and I've questioned how they could fit such a tower/s on the site. :?

·
Streetwalker
7,025 Posts
Fabian said:
Burwood to get a Scraper!!!!

A 15 storey residential tower is being built at 3 Railway Pde along with a smaller nine storey tower. The development is known as Gateway and should be completed by the end of next year!!!! :) It should be the tallest in the suburb and I'm pretty sure it's the first scraper being built out there. :eek:kay: I'm also sure it's the project that I saw on the train while travelling to and from uni which was also discussed a few posts up.

Lets throw a party for this one :cheers:

:pepper::cucumber::pepper:

It's about time Burwood got something tall.

This complex is fast topping out and it really looks good.

1 - 20 of 1993 Posts