SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 516 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took these construction photos of some developments in Rockdale in Sydney's south about a month ago. It's about time I post them.

Firstly I dont know the name of this one. Stupid me. They are doing some work on the roof at present.

Shalala???????

Rockdale Station

Cityrail should get this done by early next year

There are a number of other developments going on or have already completed. Hope to get some pictures in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
72,784 Posts
Yeah i went out last month and collected info for the 12st+ database for skyscrapers.com. and there are many that just miss out on being 12st+. All the newer developments seem to be 9-10 storeys high.there is some nice unit architecture coming along!
:)

·
4,925 Posts
Great job Fabian! :eek:kay:

Don't be worried about taking a while to post the pics - I have Rockdale construction pics from 6 months ago that i still haven't posted! ;)

The first picture is of "Southern Cross Apartments", and as for Shalala (hehehe ;)), I think that is the name of the developers, not the building. If you go and look at the completed 10 storey tower "The Astor" (or Aston...can't remember) a few doors down, it has a plaque for its opening, and it has the Shalala name on it as well.

There is so much construction happening in Rockdale, but like Culwulla said, the limit tends to be 10 storeys in the section where your pics are taken Fabian.

And if you've ever been around this area when they're using the east-west runway at the airport, and they're coming in for landings, you'd understand why! The planes come in so low!!! They basically look they're about 50m above the buildings!

So the twelve storey+ towers tend to be located further south around Rockdale Plaza, and along the railway (Rockdale Gardens).

Here are some other recently completed or under construction towers in Rockdale - the first one here "The Landmark" is probably my favourite, and is now being excavated.

The Landmark

Bayview

558-560 Princes Hwy, Rockdale

Aurora

Arena

Image Apartments

Highdale

Rockdale Gardens

Ashton Square

The Rocks Apartments

Sienna

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
558-560 Princess Highway is well under construction and is around level 4 or five.

Image apartments has topped out.

and 8-12 Market Street has been completed for some time.

Arena has been cleared out.

I'll need to take some time to check out Rockdale and take some new photos.

Also Finn, I was curious as to the address of the Landmark. I've never seen or heard of this one.

·
4,925 Posts
Landmark is next to "The Rocks Apartments" and "Sienna Apartments" on Market St.

It is on the corner of Market and Bryant, and was previously a petrol station. In the rendering of The Landmark you can see the two grey block forms of The Rocks and Sienna further down the street.

Also, Sienna (8-12 Market St) is indeed topped out, but they are still working on the internal construction.

If you head down that way, could you have a look and see if "Aurora" has started construction yet? Last time I was there they had cleared the site, but not started yet. Aurora is on the same block as Sienna and The Rocks, but behind them, and fronting George St.

·
4,925 Posts
Like I said, its all because of the flight paths in that area - they are so low right over the area around Target!

They will build taller around areas like Rockdale Gardens and Rockdale Plaza. I'm amazed they've even been able to build up to 10 storeys in some of the areas they have!

You've just got to head down there when they're landing on the East-West runway from the western end, and you'll see what I mean!

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I notice that when planes fly over Rockdale, they tend to fly north of the shopping strip. The main commercial area of Rockdale is not directly under the path.

I cannot see any problem building the highrises south of Bryant Street where the main shopping strip is.

·
4,925 Posts
Originally posted by Fabian
I notice that when planes fly over Rockdale, they tend to fly north of the shopping strip. The main commercial area of Rockdale is not directly under the path.

I cannot see any problem building the highrises south of Bryant Street where the main shopping strip is.
These towers are only barely south of Bryant St - like on the block directly south of it.

Flight paths are not along specific finite lines because the planes are controlled by pilots as well as well as the mechanisms of the machines - they need a bit of a buffer zone for slight errors or difficult weather.

It looks like the 10 storey limit in this area of Rockdale is the master-plan - although I know they had taller buildings proposed for the Target site at one stage.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talking about heights, the council does not have a maximum height limit, but restrictions are placed on sites. However zoning determines what can be built and height limits are usually placed in areas of lower density.

·
4,925 Posts
Talking about heights, the council does not have a maximum height limit, but restrictions are placed on sites. However zoning determines what can be built and height limits are usually placed in areas of lower density.
Yeah, it seems like they would definitely allow them to go higher. since that 20 storey tower is under construction at Wolli Creek!

I think they probably will allow higher buildings around Rockdale Plaza and eventually along West Botany St behind the Plaza, because that area is way out of line with the flight paths.

·
4,925 Posts
The Wolli Creek area is not under any flightpaths and is a fairway from them, so taller towers such as proximity can be built.
Yes, Wolli Creek is veeeeery close to the airport, and sits between two runways, so it would technically impossible for a plane to fly over Wolli Creek and take off or land on the runways.

So no extra noise, no major height limits, and they can build nice tall buildings! :)

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The cladding for Image Apartments seems different to what is shown in the rendering. I've seen some white and even purple painted walls. I'll have to look at it again when passing the site next time.

Also work has commenced on the Arena site with the buildings on site demolished and a sales office has been opened on the Princes Highway not far down (next to Lombardo music ).

·
4,925 Posts
<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Fabian </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>The cladding for Image Apartments seems different to what is shown in the rendering. I've seen some white and even purple painted walls. I'll have to look at it again when passing the site next time.

Also work has commenced on the Arena site with the buildings on site demolished and a sales office has been opened on the Princes Highway not far down (next to Lombardo music ).</td></tr>
</table>

Yes, I noticed that about Image Apartments as well - primarily white with a couple of purple feature walls - looks far better than the rendering! Quite pleasing! :)

·
All the way with PJK
921 Posts
Anything would look better than the 'Image' rendering!!!

:puke:

It's great the amount of development going on down in Rockdale and all along the southern railway line up to Rockdale. Hopefully a lot more to come! Should be a great area to live in a decade when there's more density added and more people move in. I'd say Rockdale is a very wise investment at the moment. If our boy Franky Sartor gets in as local MP, watch out for big things (unfortunately I don't mean skyscrapers) in that area. He'll be able to get a mammoth amount of money from Mr Carr to pretty up the place!

·
4,925 Posts
<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Tony P </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Anything would look better than the 'Image' rendering!!!

:puke:
</td></tr>
</table>

Hahaha, too true!

Maybe they should do crappy renderings for all developments, just so we are always pleased when the buildings don't end up as crappy as the pictures show! ;)

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw a photo of the nearly completed Image in Domain which is the real estate liftout of the St George and Sutherland Shire Leader. It looked more white than the colours shown in the rendering.

1 - 20 of 516 Posts