Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I've heard mention of buildings in Campbelltown. I was wondering how tall some of these buildings in the "city centre" are, and what plans there are for Campbelltown. I got these when my car broke down near the station.

I didn't get over to Macarthur Square as I wanted to. At the moment Campbelltown reminds me very much of Blacktown and Bankstown, funnily enough. I wonder if it will boom as Blacktown is set to.

·
Registered
77,306 Posts
i spent some of most of my teens in Campbelltown.horrible place.absolutely nothing going for it.
i think the 8storey council bldg is still the tallest bldg.
theres a large 6 storey octagonal ofice bldg out near mac sq.
i dont think theres any plans for highrise units. no reason to add more slums.
the area is rife with unemployment and crime.nothing to do out there.
i was over the moon when i left there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's a bit harsh Cull?!?!? But never the less Cambelltown has had its fair share of bad publicity. The Mac Field riots didnt really push the real-eatse market through the roof. But there are still suburbs like Glen Alpine and Maquarie Links where you cant find a property under 1/2 a million! :runaway:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems to be the case somewhat whenever you get that far from the city centre, at least to the west. But I'm sure it will improve as more people and money flow into the area.

Sometimes when I here what councils have to say I can't believe their talking about the same area. They always make there LGA sound like a tourist area.

·
Registered
77,306 Posts
Italo-Australian said:
That's a bit harsh Cull?!?!? But never the less Cambelltown has had its fair share of bad publicity. The Mac Field riots didnt really push the real-eatse market through the roof. But there are still suburbs like Glen Alpine and Maquarie Links where you cant find a property under 1/2 a million! :runaway:
bit harsh? lol, hey spent alot of time around MINTO, LEUMEAH at infamous housing commission. seen alot of stuff. yes there is nice suburbs now, but back in 80;s they were being developed. spose there built now. still suburbs like AIRDs and CLAYMORE are still tragic.

btw great pix

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Great Pictures, I looking into Cambelltown for you and there are only Units going up no highrise at all on the board. BTW Cull i have to agree to a degree i felt unsafe there even on a saturday at Noon.

·
Jacaranda Images
1,043 Posts
Now Now - I grow up in Ruse and Bradbury, and did years 10, 11 and 12 at Airds High - and I came out ok. :crazy2:

CULWULLA said:
bit harsh? lol, hey spent alot of time around MINTO, LEUMEAH at infamous housing commission. seen alot of stuff. yes there is nice suburbs now, but back in 80;s they were being developed. spose there built now. still suburbs like AIRDs and CLAYMORE are still tragic.

btw great pix

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Petermaloney said:
Great Pictures, I looking into Cambelltown for you and there are only Units going up no highrise at all on the board. BTW Cull i have to agree to a degree i felt unsafe there even on a saturday at Noon.
I guess Campbelltown is an area suited more to industry, with any office workers travelling to city, Liverpool, Parra, etc.

As for the builings, I still can't quite judge what is high rise yet. Those builings look 35m+, but more likely 25-30 I guess. The cut off should be 50m, make it a bit more manageable to identify them all.

·
Registered
975 Posts
That first pic is the Council Chambers... I worked there from May last year to June this year!! Brings back the memories! Campbelltown Centre is disjointed and it's exacerbated by the massive Macarthur Square that's just a couple of Km's away. Not much office development going on per se, but the draft residential DCP that was still in draft form when I left was permitting higher residential development in the Campbelltown town center.

It's definitely not on fire like Liverpool. Amusingingly the main Labour candidate for Macquarie Fields (by election this Sat) is very much against any sort of high-rise development. As a Councilor, Steve Chaytor was always bitching about any high-rise development in Ingleburn and other suburbs.. So any future high-rise in the area is in for a tough fight. :(

·
Registered
77,306 Posts
gazmo said:
Now Now - I grow up in Ruse and Bradbury, and did years 10, 11 and 12 at Airds High - and I came out ok. :crazy2:
did you? Airds high? and you survived? lol
that would of toughened you.
my brother lived in Cook Rd, Ruse for years and finally made the move to Umina Beach 5 years ago. best move ever.lol
i suppose Campbelltown has got many nice areas but alot of mean places too which are a concern.

·
Jacaranda Images
1,043 Posts
Yep, Airds High of 86. Although I have to say I only did years 10, 11 & 12 there, previously I was living and attending school in England when my famlity migrated here in 1983. So there was a 'culture shock' so to speak.

While living at home, we were in Bradbury, Ruse and then St Andrews (I chuckled at your Minto comment).

My parents currently live in Glen Alpine, but looking at the over development in the area (and the state of the hospital - read 'death by postcode'), I have to be brutally honest and say I wouldn't want to live there.

CULWULLA said:
did you? Airds high? and you survived? lol
that would of toughened you.
my brother lived in Cook Rd, Ruse for years and finally made the move to Umina Beach 5 years ago. best move ever.lol
i suppose Campbelltown has got many nice areas but alot of mean places too which are a concern.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the least habitable place in Sydney? Campbelltown, Bankstown, Blacktown, Liverpool, Redfern, Fairfield are all the areas (councils) that come to mind. Punchbowl, Lakemba, Macquarie Fields, Mt. Druitt, Cabramatta are the suburbs.

·
Jacaranda Images
1,043 Posts
Oh Man, do we really have to have this discussion? :runaway:

lennyr said:
What is the least habitable place in Sydney? Campbelltown, Bankstown, Blacktown, Liverpool, Redfern, Fairfield are all the areas (councils) that come to mind. Punchbowl, Lakemba, Macquarie Fields, Mt. Druitt, Cabramatta are the suburbs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gazmo said:
Oh Man, do we really have to have this discussion? :runaway:
Just interested. I know I shouldn't dwell on the negatives, but from the perspective of someone moving to Sydney, where would they least likely go.

·
Registered
77,306 Posts
heres the first highrise units for city of Campbelltown! The 8storey MOSIAC Apartments in Leumeah.Curently Uc developed by Parkview Group

here is stage 2 which is 6storeys

Also UC more highrise units for Campbelltown! the twin 6storey GREENBANK towers

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
lennyr said:
Just interested. I know I shouldn't dwell on the negatives, but from the perspective of someone moving to Sydney, where would they least likely go.
One of the Radburn estates for sure. Claymore, Minto, Bidwill.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Randwicked said:
One of the Radburn estates for sure. Claymore, Minto, Bidwill.
Of them I only know Minto. I was looking at crime figures and found most violence in Sydney to be in Campbelltown, Blactown, Marrickville and Penrith. The robbery figures were a little worrying though:

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocsar/ll_bocsar.nsf/pages/bocsar_lgaranks_robbery04

With Strathfield, Burwood on top. I'm not sure if it's possible to make a correlation between living standards (crime, infrastructure, employment) and construction. Though it would be good to see how high-rise areas have been affected. Chatswood seems to have turned out really well, Liverpool is improving and Campbelltown is just starting to get high-rise (thanks Cull).

Sorry for the rambling, I was interested by Culwulla's first response on this thread

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
lennyr said:
My primary school was at Lakemba. Wasn't the best but i still enjoyed it.

I came out okay...i think.

:clown:

1 - 20 of 148 Posts