Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
This is news to me. My understanding is A-set trailer cars (cars 4 and 5) have larger end saloons at one end explicitly to replicate Sydney Trains standard door spacing found on all sets from M-set onward.
How different are the T sets in 8-car formation?

Wonder whether matching sets might be used on T1 so you could have platform doors on all platforms at Chatswood and Epping and possibly some CBD stations when Metro Stg 1 opens

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
But as per other posts, do you need to straighten them.
Plenty of overseas stations have PSDs on curves, and any gap will be no different to what it is today.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Good lord...the overwhelming incompetence of SRA and Railcorp :eek:hno:
First safety PSDs weren't installed until 1987 in Singapore.

Tangaras were designed before this and entered service from 1988, albeit would have been smart to use the T+set as the reference vehicle.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
So that would enable PSDs on T1 (as all Waratahs), but not anywhere else as the T sets are non-standard

(One would think Chatswood to match the Metro, along with Wynyard and Town Hall would be obvious candidates for PSDs)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
That's a bit odd. Considering the capacity which public transport is already at and the increase in the future, you'd think they purpose the line for both suburban and metro
So you'd like to mix a driverless flat floor design with Platform Screen Doors

With
Driven cars likely with different door heights and position

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Query the level of the tunnel compared to the existing platform 24/25 concourse.

I'm assuming it's roughly at this level (as the escalators up to platforms look fairly long), and I suspect this space will be used for the new easterly entrance.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Is it true that Epping currently has more escalators than Central?
Wouldn't be hard.
I get to 12.
4 to/from 24/25 at each end
2 to/from Grand-North
4 to/from Grand-Street
2 at the Chalmers end of Devonshire tunnel

Almost as many elevators

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
And the engineering in retrofitting such a large roof with limited supports isn't cheap.

Not that a new tunnel and a bunch of escalators won't be

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
So closure of the ECRL for Metro conversion won't release enough sets?

And then it's only the T sets without standard door positioning?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Am surprised the rail stats don't show a spike just after peak expires, given reports of people waiting for the time to switch over

Assume the slightly earlier peak in rail reflects longer average journey times and 8.30/9am average starts

How different are the ferry stats Sat v Sun, given it's an expensive service and $2.50 caps

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Looking a lot less of a mess. Wires are a bit more organised and a few cable trays have been installed.

Platform level also a lot brighter with new lights

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I think this has been covered before. Yes, it presents issues. No its not something that cannot be engineered away.
Possible yes.. but requires fleet with common door positions.
From previous threads Waratah and Millenium are the same, but Tangaras slightly different and the C,S,K quite different.

So you probably need another round of fleet deliveries to be ready for PSDs on even a couple of lines

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I still think there is a likelihood that existing lines go GoA4.

When pure driverless trains were developed it was thought separated tracks, PSDs etc were absolutely required.

But we now have autonomous cars (Tesla's) driving on our roads in far more complex environments than a rail corridor. It doesn't take much to move similar technology onto old school rail that hasn't been designed like a Metro (not that I see it happening anytime soon)

1 - 20 of 241 Posts