Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
My wife's train ground to a halt at Petersham. She got off because I was on my way to pick her up. The train just sat there with some passengers remaining on board waiting without any idea how long it would take to move. That was 6:30pm. The network still looks terrible on TripView.

·
Registered
179 Posts
New York and London are exactly like that, probably even more than Sydney. Someone living in the Upper East Side or Kensington wouldn't even know places like Queens or East London existed.
THIS. Those "cosmopolitan" cities are just as divided with their own enclaves. Flushing in New York is an Asian area, Bronx is an African American area and so on. We just know Sydney better than other cities because we either live here or travel here often enough. Also, NYC and London have been around a lot longer so the tensions at the time immigrants arrived and became part of the community were experienced long ago.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Convert a few more lines to driverless trains.
Central to Revesby is an obvious one. T7 would be good too given the short trip. Convert the entire City Circle while you're at it. It's incredible ATO hasn't been rolled out on that part of the network. (But then where would Leppington and T8 trains go? Dunno).

·
Registered
179 Posts
And how much dead running will be happening tomorrow, to shift Tangara's from the T4 stabling yards over to fill in the reduced frequency T1, T2, T3, T5, T7, T8, T9 (with most presumably as 4 car trains?)
There's only so many T sets and K sets residing in those sectors.

And what about the South Coast line - will that be Tangaras as well from Mortdale / Waterfall, or are they shifting some of the V sets from BM just for that day?
A driver could clock up half a days work (4 hrs) just repositioning one empty V set from Mount Victoria to Kiama.
There will be one less Tangara set following the level crossing accident at Kembla Grange this morning.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So we are really going to need fully fenced off tracks for future fast, faster & HSR. Probably with something like the tension wired barriers that have replaced some of the armco/jersey curve road barriers anywhere where low life exists? Is that sort of thing standard in other countries or is it a mostly Aussie practice?
Instances of non compliance at that particular level crossing is regularly used by TfNSW to highlight level crossing risks: https://au.news.yahoo.com/cctv-footage-deadly-problem-railway-crossings-052641352.html

Not sure about other countries but I'm confident that crossing would have to go if Fast Rail was ever built. I remember the corridor for HSR would need to be hundreds of metres wide, assuming up to 300km/h operation but no one is advocating for that service level. The XPT is allowed to operate at up to 160km/h on lines with level crossings. I know in Japan that there are no level crossings on the Shinkansen network except for one line in the north (Akita line) but the train on that particular section doesn't travel at high speed. It was just a standard line that was modified to take the Shinkansen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For all of its operational downfalls (as seen in the UK), that's one of the areas where privatised rail systems excel in. You hardly get unions whinging over arbitrary, irrelevant concerns. And their systems also seem to be vastly more modern, mainly because there's always an element of outdoing the competition.

The waratahs were ordered by Labor... or Liberal, depending on when it's convenient
The Waratahs were announced in 2006 from memory but the Coalition saved the PPP from collapsing. I guess it doesn't matter now. I was just pointing out that Labor had a hand in their delivery.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why the messy privatisation of BR is the only example Aussies can think of? Anyway, ferries, buses, light rail and metro are run by the private sector in Sydney. That’s also the case for many regional and freight services in continental Europe. Not to mention JR Central, JR East, JR West and the always private Japanese companies such as Tokyu or Hankyu
Failure often gets more political mileage with the public than success.

·
Registered
179 Posts
More industrial action tomorrow, 29 October 2021. I'm not even sure what they're doing this time. But some train services will be replaced by buses. See below.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That article is actually from the ABC. But same thing.

I can't get over NSW Labor referring to vehicles and vessels as "ïnfrastructure". They've been doing it for a few days now and nobody seems to have quietly taken them aside for a language lesson yet.
That article may as well have been written by Labor. I'm also tired of reading about "trains that don't fit the tracks" or "don't fit into the tunnels". Everyone seems to forget that the Ten Tunnels and the Woy Woy tunnel were modified to take the rail fraternity's beloved and locally manufactured V sets.

The Labor are digging a huge hole for themselves in blaming overseas manufacturing for these issues including the cracks on the light rail vehicles. It's not like local manufacturing of passenger rollingstock in NSW can be brought back and setup quickly. Also do people also forget that one third of the electric locomotive fleet in the mid 1990s experienced cracked frames leading to their hastened withdrawal from a number of routes?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Especially when Labor fails to acknowledge that the NIF trains ordered by the current government are the same dimensions as the previous Intercity fleet ordered by Labor - the Oscars.

Is Labor really too stupid to reliase that fact?
Or are they well aware of it, but are trying to pull the wool over the public to gain political mileage?
They know what they're doing. They're digging a hole. They're so desperate to land a punch on the government they'll sign up for anything even if it means rubbishing decisions they made in government. It's clear that Chris Minns has allowed the unions to run the show now. It's a horror show but I'm not sure how much traction they'll get from all this whingeing about everything.

·
Registered
179 Posts
In fact didn't Labor need to widen the Woy Woy tunnel and several of the South Coast line tunnels because the Oscars they ordered didn't fit through them?
I can't recall if that was the case. However, I do remember platform edges at some stations were shaved back a bit to allow the OSCars to pass.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If there was one failure of Gladys’ tenure as Transport Minister, it was in fleet acquisition.
Going with cheap CAF trams, and not exercising the Waratah order extension were both expensive mistakes to make.
How many additional Waratah sets would the extension option have built?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Chris Minns is actually opposed to the influence of the unions in dictating Labor's agenda, which is why he had been unsuccessful in the leadership ballots in the past because he didn't appeal to some of the union heavyweights in Head Office. Now that he has attained the leadership, I wouldn't be so quick to write him off.
Have you seen his Facebook posts? They contradict everything in your comment. I know people inside the Labor party and it's exactly as I described it. Minns gaining the leadership wasn't costless. He doesn't have free reign. The content is aimed squarely at the base targeting tolls, privatisation and blaming foreign manufacturing. Nothing has changed except the jockey.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts