Skyscraper City Forum banner
3121 - 3140 of 19775 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
About time, the access fees at Mascot and Green Square are a rip off for regular commuters.

However i'm not so sure about the Airport surcharge being removed, it does have the advantage of deterring louts from coming to the airport and causing trouble.

But, taking away the airport surcharge makes it fairer on airport workers. The price of a weekly ticket from the Airport to the city is $43, rising to $74 from the outer suburbs.

·
Moon Transit
1,949 Posts
I dont think the surcharge deters louts: they can cycle or walk from Tempe station/pubs, catch bus 400, park their noisy cars in Arncliffe, or just jump the ticket barriers and run.

The AirportLink should never had any surcharge. An airport is part of a metropolitan area and should be served by regular public transport without discrimination or surcharge, just like anywhere else in the city. That is, unless the Govt prefers people to travel by car.

That said, if a premium service is made specially for the airport, a surcharge is understandable.

Sydney's AirportLink is Not a premium service (nor is Brisbane's Airtrain)

Compare it with most airports overseas: they have regular fare services and premium services. Tokyo Narita, Heathrow and some others even have 3 tiers of service: regular fare/service, express, and super duper express. The super-express in Tokyo would cover AirportLink 5km journey from domestic in 2.3 minutes, and actually costs much less per km, and much more comfortable. Meanwhile the regular service in Tokyo, still faster than AirportLink costs only 1,100 yen for a 70 km journey. In Europe many airports like Frankfurt, Schiphol and Zurich are like hubs in a vast rail network and normal fares apply like any other station. Most airports in the United States have a reasonable bus services, with same service and fares as bus services in other parts of those cities (even if PT in general seems poor), in addition to their ubiquitous shuttles.

Why are Australian cities so different? Maybe Sydney is a 'poor' city, with too few people or airport users so it couldn't afford that or maybe bad government decisions that the public dont challenge? Maybe buying a bankrupt AirportLink wouldve been a good idea, and slugging the owners with massive utility, rates and land tax hikes (like they do the rest of the population) would get the operators to simply give away Mascot and Green Square.

Luckily the airport is in Mascot and not Badgerys Creek or Holsworthy or theyd be charging everyone $80 for the service with no alternative.

There is a market for each fare type, and they all seem to co-exist elsewhere, and all make a 'profit' if they are properly managed. Even on the Gold Coast theres the regularly priced 702, then theres a premuim Shuttle service (which still attracts plenty of mugs because the 702 is often just as fast). There will always be a sufficient number of mugs who use premium services elsewhere, only perceiving a benefit because they pay more, with little or no actual benefit for their particular case, to help keep the services viable.

Also, Australian airports are practically unique in that they charge for getting from one terminal to another in the same airport. I wish Sydney users would learn to protest this by all pushing their luggage on trolleys along Airport Drive. Im sure Melbourne would also charge to get between terminals if they could.

To be fair, route 400 is reasonable service (pity the Dee Why service is gone), its the cheapest way to get from International to Domestic and comparable to AirportLink to the south and eastern suburbs. I'd be happy with the Metrobus 20 extended a km to the terminals, a NightRide service (they run along most other rail lines after all) and a travelator tunnel.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm so bloody annoyed the Liberals are canning the Parramatta Epping line. It should have been built ages ago, it's an important link in the network, AND it has federal funding. "Infrastructure" minister my arse. If he really wanted to call himself that, he should be proposing at least 5 more lines to bring Sydney's network out of the 1980s, the PRL, NWRL, Second Harbour crossing, Hurstville to Strathfield line, Anzac metro, at the MINIMUM!

The way consecutive governments just keep cancelling the previous government's projects makes me hate this city and this state so much sometimes.

I've sent an email to Fatty's office complaining about this, anyone else done the same?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The Liberals want to introduce an extra 135 weekly express services to serve outer suburbs and the Central Coast if elected next month according to todays edition of The Sun Herald (19/2/2011).

More details here: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/state-election-2011/ofarrell-express-to-victory-20110219-1b099.html
I love the logic in this one - the timetable was reworked to improve reliability, so there must be some slack to shove more express services in.

Of course this won't affect reliability.......

·
Registered Noob.
700 Posts
Good idea to take the access charge off of Green Sq and Mascot, people might actually use them.

But here is one thing that is annoying. When there is trackworks on the airport line, you still have to pay the station access fee just to take a bus to/from Sydenham or Central..
Like today :lol:

·
40,696 Posts
The service offered by Airtrain are on par with those with Cityrail. In fact Brisbane is far worse with airport transport. The privately run shuttle buses only do the CBD, Southbank and Fortitude Valley. If you need to travel anywhere else, you have to use the train. For me it was Albion and was slugged.

There is not even a public bus service to the airport - which fortuantely Sydney has through the 400 route. An extension of the M20 would do alot of good. I was appaled when the Airport Express buses were ditched a few years ago, and I thought they were good.

The patronage at Green Square and Mascot would skyrocket if the fees were waived and losses would be recouped.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Compare it with most airports overseas: they have regular fare services and premium services. Tokyo Narita, Heathrow and some others even have 3 tiers of service: regular fare/service, express, and super duper express. The super-express in Tokyo would cover AirportLink 5km journey from domestic in 2.3 minutes, and actually costs much less per km, and much more comfortable. Meanwhile the regular service in Tokyo, still faster than AirportLink costs only 1,100 yen for a 70 km journey. In Europe many airports like Frankfurt, Schiphol and Zurich are like hubs in a vast rail network and normal fares apply like any other station. Most airports in the United States have a reasonable bus services, with same service and fares as bus services in other parts of those cities (even if PT in general seems poor), in addition to their ubiquitous shuttles.

Why are Australian cities so different? Maybe Sydney is a 'poor' city, with too few people or airport users so it couldn't afford that or maybe bad government decisions that the public dont challenge? Maybe buying a bankrupt AirportLink wouldve been a good idea, and slugging the owners with massive utility, rates and land tax hikes (like they do the rest of the population) would get the operators to simply give away Mascot and Green Square.
Presumably the finance companies supporting both the previous and current ownership entities are politically well connected. All the debacle of Sydney Airport is down to corruption and influence among the well connected and the NSWALP (insert NSW Liberal Party when time comes).

BTW this is the new alias for Eco-rat.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Also, Australian airports are practically unique in that they charge for getting from one terminal to another in the same airport. I wish Sydney users would learn to protest this by all pushing their luggage on trolleys along Airport Drive. Im sure Melbourne would also charge to get between terminals if they could.
Nice idea - the problem is, the thieves who run the airport also charge for the luggage trolleys :eek:hno:

·
Gosford/Sydney.
1,656 Posts
How sad is this.......... The Carr Govenment listened to the NIMBY voices of only 2000 and decided not to proceed. This is the problem for Sydney, the minority voicing their concern and a weak Governemnt.

Bondi Locals Shout Down Rail Link

Bondi residents turned out in force at Bondi Beach on Sunday 26/4/98 to protest against the proposed CityRail extension from Bondi Junction to the beach.

The crowd, estimated at about 2000 people, was led by singer Kate Ceberano and actor Michael Caton.

Since the environmental impact statement for the proposed link started, hundreds of locals have been out to stop it, including a group called "Save Bondi Beach".

You can contact "Save Bondi Beach" at:

Save Bondi Beach
Locked Bag 7000
Bondi Beach NSW 2026

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I am glad that I did a photowalk around Mascot Station and it was nothing but dead quiet. It is pure common sense to remove the access fee for Mascot and Green Square.
I've used the airport line for years. It was built in part, for the Olympics and as a cheap relief line for sector 2. I don't mind using it paying the extra few dollars as it's far easier to use than driving and parking. I worked at T2 today.

mx

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Anyone who complains about Sydney public transport needs to see this photo. I left my Galaxy Tab on a 380 bus going to CQ on Saturday. My husband and I thought it was a dead loss. (and bought a new one)

I was completely gob smacked to get a phone call that my G-Tab had been turned into lost and found and was able to have it picked up.

Thank you Sydney buses and Waverly depot.

mx

·
40,696 Posts
I love the logic in this one - the timetable was reworked to improve reliability, so there must be some slack to shove more express services in.

Of course this won't affect reliability.......
And longer stops at stations. Some trains at Hurstville are often forced to stay there for up to three minutes.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
How sad is this.......... The Carr Govenment listened to the NIMBY voices of only 2000 and decided not to proceed. This is the problem for Sydney, the minority voicing their concern and a weak Governemnt.

Bondi Locals Shout Down Rail Link

Bondi residents turned out in force at Bondi Beach on Sunday 26/4/98 to protest against the proposed CityRail extension from Bondi Junction to the beach.

The crowd, estimated at about 2000 people, was led by singer Kate Ceberano and actor Michael Caton.

Since the environmental impact statement for the proposed link started, hundreds of locals have been out to stop it, including a group called "Save Bondi Beach".

You can contact "Save Bondi Beach" at:

Save Bondi Beach
Locked Bag 7000
Bondi Beach NSW 2026
not long after that they started protesting about parking meters, lack of parking spaces and too much traffic

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I remember those NIMBY campaigns against the Eastern Suburbs line extension to Bondi Beach. Really stupid of them and a lost opportunity to provide a rail link a major tourist destination and beach.
Oh is it that time again? Must be all of four months since we went through this.

The Bondi Beach railway was to be a single track, single station, single platform railway to be built and operated by Lend Lease. It would have had a gate access fee. It would have had one train every 20 minutes. It would have been useless.

3121 - 3140 of 19775 Posts