SkyscraperCity banner

10001 - 10020 of 18150 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
They claim that are no more than 2 dozen in operation, though I see one here and there and confined to certain timetabled services.
That may very well be on the numbers, but they may have also isolated them to the Bankstown line, as they did in the last days of the red rattlers

·
Sure, Jan...
3,383 Posts
The Cumberland Line, and the Olympic Sprint are exclusively run by S-sets, but they're also used to replace any train that happens to break down.

I was coming back east form a little trip to Parramatta, and I was surprised to see that an M-set was being used on the Carlingford Line. I would have guessed S-sets would be used for that line too.

·
WARREN
7,904 Posts
^^ Incorrect - the only line that is scheduled to use S sets at all (and also happens to use them exclusively) is the Olympic Park Sprint, on weekdays only.

There are numerous S sets allocated as standby trains, and in reality they do get used and are sent out on whatever run happens to need a replacement train, which is why they pop up all over the network on a daily basis.

I caught three of them on the Bankstown line when I was last there and they were all supposed to be Millennium Train services according to Tripview which must have been replaced due to set failure/vandalism/maintenance.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
From memory there's also minor overhaul works going on for M-sets which will remove some from availability.

The tender for the major overhaul for T- and former G- sets is now also let, so once that starts it will put even more S- sets back in the system.

·
Registered
944 Posts
From memory there's also minor overhaul works going on for M-sets which will remove some from availability.

The tender for the major overhaul for T- and former G- sets is now also let, so once that starts it will put even more S- sets back in the system.

What's in store for the T-sets? LED information screens? New windows that you can actually see out of? New seats with leg room so your knees aren't wedged against hard plastic seat backs? Working air conditioning?!!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
What's in store for the T-sets? LED information screens? New windows that you can actually see out of? New seats with leg room so your knees aren't wedged against hard plastic seat backs? Working air conditioning?!!
I'm wondering that too. Perhaps they are putting in that trial longitudinal seating?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Maybe every set will have its desto board permanently set to DAPTO like the one which has been trialling that for the last 2 decades.
I'm wondering that too. Perhaps they are putting in that trial longitudinal seating?

hmm, I don't know. The upgrade includes replacing the train operating system and intercom. When the project was announced last year, CCTV and PIDs were to be "considered". The Telegraph seems to say at least some of this is happening. I also don't know if it includes the other improvements from the earlier [trial] refurbishment project:

* replacing the floor covering
* re-covering the seats
* changing the vestibule furniture
* cleaning between the glass layers

Or whether it includes other elements that have been trialled in Tangaras:

* M-set interconnecting gang-ways
* M-set door motors and door panels
* various skirt panels have also been tried from memory

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
External door cameras would be a great addition - if they were fitted to all T sets (and cameras like those from the A sets were fitted to the M sets) then we would be pretty close to being able to do away with train guards.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Eco_rat posted in another thread
“PARRAMATTA IS NO LONGER A SUBURB. IT IS GREATER SYDNEY'S SECOND DESIGNATED CBD.”

I disagree because I believe in 50 years Parramatta will be the main CBD of greater Sydney
IMO there should be and express train service linking Sydney City, with Parramatta and the 2nd Airport at Badgerys creek. I'm not too sure though if a dedicated metro line solely linking Sydney City and Parramatta without stops in between will have the patronage to keep the line viable. I would be more in favour of a Sydney City, Burwood, Parramatta, Liverpool, Badgery's creek express line. It will cost hell of a lot more but it will be more beneficial economically.

My opinion of Parramatta is that it will not overtake Sydney city as the main CBD. What will most likely happen is that Sydney City will remain the private sector city, with Parramatta a secondary CBD with a public sector presence. For Parramatta to overtake Sydney City, you will need to prise the management and skilled workforce who decide where to base the business from their Eastern Suburbs and leafy north shore homes and attract them west. That will be a task in itself.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As a commuter, I think frequency of services is more important and being to know where and when services are being run is what I need to know.
That's fine if you catch the same train or bus everyday.

But what if you want to catch a bus or train to a place where you've never been before?

That's where Wayfinding and Signage becomes CRITICAL.

If Wayfinding and Signage on public transport is poor then people will simply say bugger it it's too hard and just take their car - adding to congestion on the road and perpetuating the city's addiction to the car.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
^^ Agreed. It is important, and we have been left with half rolled out/generic pictogram signs for far too long.

I'm liking the lollipop signs which have a tendency to stand out, with the use of striking colours to mark each mode. The blue and yellow of the previous system kind of just blended in with the city itself.

10001 - 10020 of 18150 Posts