SkyscraperCity banner

18161 - 18180 of 18214 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I haven't really needed to follow the alerts - has there been less trackwork lately or are they taking the chance to get some significant work done?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I haven't really needed to follow the alerts - has there been less trackwork lately or are they taking the chance to get some significant work done?
The most significant would be suburban platform closures at Central to reinforce so Central Walk can be built beneath.

·
WARREN
7,975 Posts
There's usually a hiatus from trackwork at this time of the year due to the Easter Show. The only shutdown on this long weekend is the Eastern Suburbs Line.

At least I guess it means that less people have to suffer replacement buses which are gonna be worse for social distancing than the near empty train carriages are.

·
6,217 Posts
Iso got me bored.

Parramatta had 45,510 tap-ons on a typical weekday in 2018. Making a guess that a weekend is half a weekday, and ignoring public holidays because I'm lazy, that's about 14.2 million passengers per year.

Adelaide's entire rail network got 14.5 million passengers in 2018.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Question for Sydney people...Why does the Lavender Bay stabling down next to Luna Park need to exist?

It seem like there's only space for 4 trains, and it's prime land that could be a linear park.
Couldn't they adjust operations and establish stabling roads elsewhere?

·
WARREN
7,975 Posts
^^ It's just one of those legacy things that has never changed. It's used to hold a few trains during the daytime that have arrived from the T1 Western Line.

I guess it still exists because it's operationally convenient for the rail system (the nearest depot where they could otherwise park these trains is at Hornsby), but you're right... it is prime land that could be used for not a linear park as you say, but perhaps a lot of expensive apartments? ;)

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Appears to be stabling for six trains (although the current Google Sat images decipt some of the trains are moulded into some merry go rounds or whatever) but anyway the tracks leading there take up more room than the stabling itself.

There is ample room for moving the stabling to StLeonards. Even the turnback at Waverton could be used as stabling, plus one (or maybe two) of the tracks between North Sydney and Waverton..

·
Premium Member
Architecture, Urban Design & Planning
11,335 Posts
^^ It's just one of those legacy things that has never changed. It's used to hold a few trains during the daytime that have arrived from the T1 Western Line.

I guess it still exists because it's operationally convenient for the rail system (the nearest depot where they could otherwise park these trains is at Hornsby), but you're right... it is prime land that could be used for not a linear park as you say, but perhaps a lot of expensive apartments? ;)
For the new residents to then start complaining about the noise coming from Luna Park and lobby for its closure.

·
Premium Member
Architecture, Urban Design & Planning
11,335 Posts
Union are still having a whinge over the new fleet.

"bUT hOw DO I sEe tHe PaSEngErS iF IM nOt dAngLInG oUt Of tHE tRAiN???"
We need all mass transit systems to be automated to eliminate the human factor from its operation. Et voila.

·
La Urbanista
1,343 Posts
Wynyard main entrance closed this week. Think they are removing the scaffolding roof for the Wynyard Place project. You can see a lot more now. Gonna be amazing. I reckon Gladys could win the next election purely based on the PR and image of the new glitzy entry. Despite it being a private redevelopment.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Witnessed first-hand abhorrence by Transport for NSW/Sydney Trains and their failure to properly provision adequate rail replacement bus services assuring 1.5m social distancing during Trackwork on the T8 Airport and South line today.

15min frequency buses is definitely not equivalent to the same provision of 8 car trains every 15min, and it is not helped when I had to wait 25 whole minutes for a late bus because the service provision was grossly inappropriate amidst a pandemic. I got on at Leumeah only to give up going any further, get off at Minto and calling a family member to come RESCUE me due to the severe inadequacy of public transport provision in the Macarthur region this weekend.

I don't mean to exaggerate the situation but we are living amidst a PANDEMIC in the 21st century with advanced medical and historic knowledge of what happened in past pandemics. What I experienced today was akin to, or worse than what most Americans are probably enduring and dying as a result of.

Also don't get me started, they removed the automatic hand sanitiser dispenser from the station, just because there were no trains running
:roll:

·
Authorised Replicant
1,448 Posts
I don't mean to exaggerate the situation but [...] What I experienced today was akin to, or worse than what most Americans are probably enduring and dying as a result of.
WHAT? This is a seriously deranged overreaction, and actually quite insulting to the poor people in the USA who are getting sick and dying from COVID-19. Transit systems over there are running to skeleton schedules because their funding is reliant on farebox revenue (no fares = no funding = layoffs of workers), and as a result the trains and buses are PACKED, unlike Sydney where we have the luxury of having a full service schedule running every day. What they have is NOTHING like the state government funded transit system we have in NSW.

The photo actually doesn't look bad. In fact, the juxtaposition with the written words is almost comical.

With a bit of repositioning of the passengers in that picture (some standing in the aisle), there certainly would be 1.5 metres between each person. Remove two passengers and it'd be totally fine as is.

If you really are that paranoid about the distancing in that picture, you really should avoid public transport altogether!

I've been on buses recently where people who hop on seem to magnetise themselves to the row behind or in front of me despite a lot of free seats available, so there are clearly a lot of passengers who just couldn't give a F about social distancing. I do my best to maintain distancing, so I move. There are stupid people around, deal with it.

they removed the automatic hand sanitiser dispenser from the station, just because there were no trains running
I bet they closed the toilets too, the bastards!

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I agree that Boxe’s wording was grossly overdramatised, but I think his point was the bus was that full after only the first few stations, so it wouldn’t be long till it would be jam packed after Minto, Ingleburn, Glenfield (and possibly more stations, depending on the stopping pattern).

18161 - 18180 of 18214 Posts