SkyscraperCity banner

18781 - 18800 of 19038 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
"Morning peak services will increase by 80 per cent at the Domestic, International, Mascot and Green Square stations on the T8 line"

The only way they can achieve that is by getting rid of T8 via Sydenham?
I was also going to add that it might open up future opportunities for more direct Southern Highlands services as well (so the locals could be used by South Coast and Southern Highlands services to Sydney Terminal), especially if they decide to extend the electrification to Picton (given the growth areas around there). These could also act as express services for Campbelltown passengers too.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
What are the chances that patronage will return to its previous levels so quickly? People are gonna work from home more frequently now and fear has probably made some people want to avoid transport. I wasn't expecting patronage to jump right back up.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
What are the chances that patronage will return to its previous levels so quickly? People are gonna work from home more frequently now and fear has probably made some people want to avoid transport. I wasn't expecting patronage to jump right back up.
Every day this week has been busier and busier - The green dots are already redundant on my routes. i'm surprised by how quickly it's happened.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Word on the street is C sets will stop running from Friday.

Good.
Has the entire second consignment of B sets been commissioned, or are there some still on their way?

If not, then some of the runs in the new timetable designated as B set might still be fulfilled by C and/or spare K sets in the immediate short term.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
In the morning peak Mascot/Green Square are each starting to have 125+ people board every service.

Obviously the line won’t be back to normal until Airport operations return closer to normal.

·
Here we go again
1,496 Posts
Word on the street is C sets will stop running from Friday.

Good.
The quicker they roll out the D sets on intercity lines, the quicker we can also get rid of the ancient K sets as well. Meaning that for the first time in half a century, we can finally have a proper, up to date train fleet.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The quicker they roll out the D sets on intercity lines, the quicker we can also get rid of the ancient K sets as well. Meaning that for the first time in half a century, we can finally have a proper, up to date train fleet.
Up to date? Impossible. There will always be something old. The Tangara’s are far from up to date and will clearly be in line to be replaced in the new future. They are not much older than the K’s and C’s.

·
Here we go again
1,496 Posts
Up to date? Impossible. There will always be something old. The Tangara’s are far from up to date and will clearly be in line to be replaced in the new future. They are not much older than the K’s and C’s.
The tangaras may have missed out on their second technology upgrade but apart from that, their updates throughout the years have still kept them perfectly up to date for the 2020s. Also, the tangaras were originally introduced into service with some pretty modern features for their time that have held up pretty well way up to today, a dramatic departure from the similarly aged C and K sets which were more or less lazy "facelifts" of the 60s/70s Tullochs, S and R sets. The only standout outdated feature of the tangaras are their lack of automated announcements and possibly their lousy motors. Sitting in a K or a C set is like sitting in a prison cell.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
The tangaras may have missed out on their second technology upgrade but apart from that, their updates throughout the years have still kept them perfectly up to date for the 2020s. Also, the tangaras were originally introduced into service with some pretty modern features for their time that have held up pretty well way up to today, a dramatic departure from the similarly aged C and K sets which were more or less lazy "facelifts" of the 60s/70s Tullochs, S and R sets. The only standout outdated feature of the tangaras are their lack of automated announcements and possibly their lousy motors. Sitting in a K or a C set is like sitting in a prison cell.
Sorry but the lack of internal desto boards or even announcements is the deal breaker for me. They're just dolled up C sets

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
"Morning peak services will increase by 80 per cent at the Domestic, International, Mascot and Green Square stations on the T8 line"

Looks like it could be the case, it appeared that way in some earlier Government docs, so not a huge surprise, although we did see earlier post Metro Sydney Trains maps with T8 via Sydenham picking up all stops from Tempe to Redfern.

So, it makes even more sense for these T8 changes with the upcoming Hurstville project, this just allows for full separation of T8 and T4 in peak. I would expect other NSW Trains will use the via Sydenham path still off peak to get to ST.

I assume T4 Intercity to run into ST on the Western pair, Cronulla also on this pair but merge with the Eastern pair Hurstville all stoppers before Redfern, these all stoppers pick up Tempe to Redfern stations.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I was also going to add that it might open up future opportunities for more direct Southern Highlands services as well (so the locals could be used by South Coast and Southern Highlands services to Sydney Terminal), especially if they decide to extend the electrification to Picton (given the growth areas around there). These could also act as express services for Campbelltown passengers too.
Would love to see regular direct services from the Southern Highlands to Central. The Blue Mountains line currently (pre-Covid) gets 10m passengers a year, whereas the Southern Highlands line only gets 1m, even though it has a larger catchment population and in many regards a more favourable alignment. The difference has to be due to the need to change at Campbelltown for most services. Some people say that the area is more self-contained than the Blue Mountains with fewer city commuters, but how much of this is chicken-and-egg? I think there's a lot of latent demand that having a direct service would unlock, and Metro SW could be the catalyst for this by opening up slots on the Illawarra mains.

Added to this is the fact that Menangle and Wilton are going to have something like 30,000 new houses in the next couple of decades. Neither are, unfortunately, ideally situated with respect to railway stations (Wilton would require either the Maldon-Dombarton line to be constructed, or a new station at Maldon on the outskirts of the town), which shows that retrograde car-dependent urban planning is still alive and well in the state bureaucracy, but you would have to hope that rail would at least be the main form of commuting to the CBD for these residents.

I'd even suggest electrifying to Moss Vale (maybe combined with some modest line straightening here and there) and running the new D-Sets out there.* Combined with direct services to Central there's no reason why the Southern Highlands line couldn't match or even outstrip the Blue Mountains line for patronage.

* Apparently the ARTC is against electrifying the line due to future plans for double-stacking, but the state government should just override them on this, even if it means renegotiating the lease. Getting commuters on trains is too important to be held hostage to pipe dreams of double-stacking (which even without electrification would take a huge amount of overpass rebuilding to achieve) on a corridor which doesn't even really need it once the inland rail is built.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I'd even suggest electrifying to Moss Vale (maybe combined with some modest line straightening here and there) and running the new D-Sets out there.* Combined with direct services to Central there's no reason why the Southern Highlands line couldn't match or even outstrip the Blue Mountains line for patronage.

* Apparently the ARTC is against electrifying the line due to future plans for double-stacking, but the state government should just override them on this, even if it means renegotiating the lease. Getting commuters on trains is too important to be held hostage to pipe dreams of double-stacking (which even without electrification would take a huge amount of overpass rebuilding to achieve) on a corridor which doesn't even really need it once the inland rail is built.
I support electrification to Moss Vale too. Though let's not forget that in the meantime the endeavour replacement will be equipped with bi-mode functionality. This feature will be redundant if they're not running them further into Sydney than Macarthur. Hopefully we see them running all the way into Central.

Same thing goes for Bomaderry. Why have them terminate at Kiama when we can have them running further north as electrified services.

·
Registered
682 Posts
To be honest Kiama-Bomaderry and Newcastle-Maitland also merit electrification. The D-Set order seems to be very generous: 56 4-car sets and 55 6-car sets. As things stand they would only be running to Kiama/Port Kembla, Lithgow and Newcastle, which seems an excessive amount for that task. You should easily be able to squeeze a Central-Mona Vale service, Newcastle-Maitland service and an extension of Kiama trains to Bomaderry out of that.

Then the regional trains (which have the opposite problem, it looks like they haven't ordered enough to properly expand regional service) could be hypothecated to do runs like Central-Bathurst, Central-Maitland, or beef up Central-Canberra frequencies to something halfway acceptable. If they can get running times to around the 3:30-3:40 mark with the new stock, then you would only need 4 sets to have two-hour headways on the Canberra run.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Every day this week has been busier and busier - The green dots are already redundant on my routes. i'm surprised by how quickly it's happened.
Apparently train patronage is up to 70% of pre-virus levels and roads are pretty much back to where they were. Once the vaccine is rolled out the trains will probably go to at least 90%. The only long-term effect may be a small uptick in partial work-from-home for certain types of office workers. But this could be beneficial in defraying peak-hour loads, i.e. instead of going to the office 9-5 every day, you travel on a more fragmentary basis when physical presence is necessary. The upshot should be that the need to shift public transport from a CBD commuter system to a genuine transit system (conveniently serving everywhere-to-everywhere trips at all times of day) becomes all the more pressing.

·
Registered
449 Posts

It depends on whether he's referring to increases in frequencies with the existing signalling or the upgraded digital signalling. The current maximum frequency on the Airport Line is 10tph and I understand it was proposed to upgrade it to 16tph, but I'm not sure if that was with the existing or digital signalling. If the frequency on the Airport Line is to be increased by 80%, then that suggests an additional 8tph, bearing in mind that it will have to merge with T8 services via Sydenham on the City Circle.

T8 via Sydenham will in fact be increased rather than being eliminated after the Bankstown Line conversion to metro and will merge with the Airport Line on the City Circle and possibly also T2 via the Central flying junctions, as T3 does now.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Looks like it could be the case, it appeared that way in some earlier Government docs, so not a huge surprise, although we did see earlier post Metro Sydney Trains maps with T8 via Sydenham picking up all stops from Tempe to Redfern.

So, it makes even more sense for these T8 changes with the upcoming Hurstville project, this just allows for full separation of T8 and T4 in peak. I would expect other NSW Trains will use the via Sydenham path still off peak to get to ST.

I assume T4 Intercity to run into ST on the Western pair, Cronulla also on this pair but merge with the Eastern pair Hurstville all stoppers before Redfern, these all stoppers pick up Tempe to Redfern stations.
The intention is that with the Hurstville and Erskineville crossover projects, the T4 all stations Hurstville to Bondi Junction services will switch to the Illawarra Main (eastern track pair) and the semi-express Cronulla/Waterfall and South Coast Intercity services will switch to the Illawarra Local (western track pair) from Hurstville. The T4 Cronulla/Waterfall services will cross over and merge with the Hurstville all stoppers at Wolli Creek continuing in an all stations pattern to Bondi Junction. The South Coast Intercity services, increased to 10 car NIF sets, will no longer go to Bondi Junction but will continue on the Local to Erskineville, crossing to the Main and the Illawarra Dive via the new crossover to Sydney Terminal. They will share the Local with increased T8 services via Sydenham to the City Circle in an express pattern between Wolli Creek and the Illawarra Dive at Erskineville. The Erskineville crossover to the Illawarra Dive will also allow Southern NSW Regional services and potentially future Southern Highlands Intercity services to cross from the Local to Sydney Terminal without conflicting with T4 services.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
To be honest Kiama-Bomaderry and Newcastle-Maitland also merit electrification.
Instead of truncating the Newcastle line to Wickham, the entire Newcastle CBD branch should have been converted to Light Rail, with the interchange at an upgraded Broadmeadow station, and the electrification extended to Maitland.

Would have quashed any political criticism too, 4km less electrified heavy rail into Newcastle CBD, but 30km of extended electrified services to Maitland with a direct journey to the Central Coast and Sydney.

The D-Set order seems to be very generous: 56 4-car sets and 55 6-car sets.
The current Oscar fleet is 55 4-car sets
The current V-set fleet is somewhere between 50-55 4-car sets, (and since V's are longer that D's, their substitute is effectively a 6-car D)

And it's already been announced that many of the current 8-car Oscar trains on the South Coast line will instead be a 10-car D. (partially to offset the reduced seating per carriage, being 2 X 2 seating instead of 2 X 3, but also a bit of capacity boost).

Considering that, it's close to being a like-for-like fleet replacement.

18781 - 18800 of 19038 Posts