Skyscraper City Forum banner
19721 - 19730 of 19730 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
^Pretty much that, yes

There will be a link for airport opening*. This is committed. It's seeing this link as being primarily focused towards air passengers, and therefore should be route X, that's the error

*Touch & go if they have long enough at this stage

·
Perpetual Bohemian
4,108 Posts
I think in Historyworks's concept the Sydney Trains tracks from Liverpool to Leppington would be converted to Metro and all T2 and T5 services end at Liverpool.
No, I suggested running the metro line from Liverpool further to the west of the Main South to service the suburbs there that are away from rail, touching the Main South again at Glenfield, then taking over the Leppington line.

I emphasise that this was no more than a thought bubble from me. If somebody wants to run with it, you're welcome to it. I think it would be Priority X among all the proposed metro lines.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No, I suggested running the metro line from Liverpool further to the west of the Main South to service the suburbs there that are away from rail, touching the Main South again at Glenfield, then taking over the Leppington line.

I emphasise that this was no more than a thought bubble from me. If somebody wants to run with it, you're welcome to it. I think it would be Priority X among all the proposed metro lines.
Why not just send the Metro from Liverpool in a direct westward line towards WSA instead?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Why not just send the Metro from Liverpool in a direct westward line towards WSA instead?
4 lines servicing the airport precinct? Seems overkill.

Only way I could feasibly see it is an underground EW station at Liverpool, maybe Prestons, then follow the reserve to Edmondson Park ditching a few km of existing track.

Can't see Liverpool being used for everything terminating , and you've still got freight and T8 to deal with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
4 lines servicing the airport precinct? Seems overkill.

Only way I could feasibly see it is an underground EW station at Liverpool, maybe Prestons, then follow the reserve to Edmondson Park ditching a few km of existing track.

Can't see Liverpool being used for everything terminating , and you've still got freight and T8 to deal with.
It'd only be 3 pairs of lines, wouldn't it? Metro WSA (from north and south), Metro West Extension and a Liverpool Metro. The SWRL would only go as far as Bradfield. This would be far into the future, potentially when the second runway is built.

Good point about freight. Frustrating that the Minto Terminal isn't on the other side of the corridor because then all freight could be put on the SSFL. I'm pretty sure that's the only freight service that uses the electrified tracks through Liverpool. Also, the T8 doesn't run to Liverpool. Passengers using the T8 services could interchange at Glenfield to catch whatever would take over the Leppington line.

Anyway, I digress.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Little wonder they're not running hot on extending the Leppington line. The sole advantage of doing that would be a faster journey between Central and Bradfield until the West Metro is fully complete, after which that advantage is completely expunged. There is absolutely no advantage in the Leppington Line connecting Parramatta and Bradfield either now or in the future. I think it's generous of them to rank the connection of Leppington to Bradfield as high as stage 2.

Now, if they were to extend the Bankstown metro from Liverpool via the Leppington line that would be something else.
But you can use Pintpot's logic on the SWRL as well. Its value would be connecting Bradfield (and thus also WSA) with suburban centres to the west: Bringelly, Rossmore, Leppington, Edmondson Park, Glenfield, then Liverpool and/Holsworthy. If it doesn't get built there's a bizarre gap in the network (not the only one: Tallawong-Schofields is another bizarre anomaly), and areas that could otherwise be developed have to lie idle.

And it should be an extremely cheap connection, since it can run at-grade through open farmland. Going by comparable projects like SWRL phase 1 or Melbourne's Mernda extension, it should cost less than $1b. Compared to other projects in the transport pipeline, it's pretty much an asterisk.

·
Registered
106 Posts
But you can use Pintpot's logic on the SWRL as well. Its value would be connecting Bradfield (and thus also WSA) with suburban centres to the west: Bringelly, Rossmore, Leppington, Edmondson Park, Glenfield, then Liverpool and/Holsworthy. If it doesn't get built there's a bizarre gap in the network (not the only one: Tallawong-Schofields is another bizarre anomaly), and areas that could otherwise be developed have to lie idle.

And it should be an extremely cheap connection, since it can run at-grade through open farmland. Going by comparable projects like SWRL phase 1 or Melbourne's Mernda extension, it should cost less than $1b. Compared to other projects in the transport pipeline, it's pretty much an asterisk.
The 2018 scoping report estimated the SWRL extension to Aerotropolis to cost $2 billion ($2017). I bet it's much higher now.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The 2018 scoping report estimated the SWRL extension to Aerotropolis to cost $2 billion ($2017). I bet it's much higher now.
Yep, because TfNSW is an utter failure at cost control and so just accepts over-inflated construction costs as a reality that they can't do anything about. $2b would only be a reasonable estimate if the whole line was tunnelled. There is no reason for a 6-7km line running at grade through flat, undeveloped terrain to be anywhere near that cost. Even recent projects in Sydney and Melbourne have proven that.

19721 - 19730 of 19730 Posts