SkyscraperCity banner

3661 - 3680 of 4057 Posts

·
Registered
18,734 Posts
Problem is CoS's obsessive control via restrictive rules and regulations that (to repeat what I've written many times before) strive to prevent the worst
BUT
in doing so they prevent the best, the most imaginative, the most inspired.

Council DCP's are developed by planners in a philosophical cage and not by the best available talents, ergo, my comments about architects being reduced to 'exterior decorators' too often.

As for the associated costs of design competitions, there are benefits in terms of FSR &/or height and such, which make it worthwhile for the developer.

While some may feel the 'track record' for design competitions is questionable, I am not one them. The problem is not with the architects but with council's stringent cleansing approval process which interferes and almost invariably reduces the design character to something more bland. What that says about planners' and 'design consultant' committees' egos is not commendable.

Basically council needs to employ the best available planners from outside council, to not set such restrictive design parameters and stick to ensuring all practical requirements are satisfied. And to keep their little sticky fingered egos out of the aesthetics.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Article about new Central Sydney Planning Strategy height rules etc. (I know it’s been posted, I’m just posting a photo of the article as it was in the DT today).

Sorry about the size.

PS - Tapatalk makes it so easy to post photos.

·
Registered
72,456 Posts
nearly all of your proposals still wouldn’t be allowed as they are in low zones
i still think all rules are in place for sun impact ect, talls only allowed along spine of cbd

·
Registered
529 Posts
nearly all of your proposals still wouldn’t be allowed as they are in low zones
i still think all rules are in place for sun impact ect, talls only allowed along spine of cbd

Most of my proposals don’t significantly overshadow any significant public spaces. Exception being Belmore Park which I can live with.

It’s more some fun to show what *could be* with liberalised development in and around the CBD.

·
Registered
72,456 Posts
^yeh agree, but after seeing the 1;2000 model you will see what i mean for areas zoned for lowrise med rise highrise ect.

like this 3d graph showing the blue zone heights

·
Registered
529 Posts
^yeh agree, but after seeing the 1;2000 model you will see what i mean for areas zoned for lowrise med rise highrise ect.

like this 3d graph showing the blue zone heights

Yes but my point is to ignore a lot of what the City of Sydney deems appropriate. Because their paradigm is so often a recipe for dullness.

Yet, the only SAPs I’m breaking are:
- Belmore Park (but buildings to the north and NW should be skinny resi to lessen arvo shadow impact).

- Hyde Park’s SW corner.

That’s literally it. Everything else I’ve proposed pretty much fits. Obviously, things like replacing the awful “three bears” on Elizabeth St at Central are not part of the strategy. But they do not overshadow Prince Alfred Park significantly so who cares. They would also allow the site to be renewed and made less shite.

There’s plenty of places where scale goes suddenly from low rise to high. The change is often quietly thrilling and “interesting”.

So again. It’s more an exploration of what could be possible with liberalised CBD & Surrounds laws. Outside the dull paradigm of CoS.

·
Registered
72,456 Posts
yeh agree with dull CoS strategy,but its here to stay. CoS dont understand words thrilling and interesting, only conservative and dullness

·
Registered
529 Posts
It’s interesting how a progressive council turns out to be very conservative. Depends, obviously, on how you measure “conservative”, but yeah.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
The proposed design of the new eastern entrance to Central Station and Central Walk has been revealed as Central undergoes its biggest upgrade in decades.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
That's nothing new, we have seen those ages ago...? Entrance is meh, it could have been as much a statement as what lies beneath it.

3661 - 3680 of 4057 Posts