SkyscraperCity banner

3721 - 3740 of 4050 Posts

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I don't consider myself to be an authority on tourism ads like you do.
But I will tell you this. If we forever have your kind of attitude, Sydney is gonna be all about Harbor and nothing else. Personally, I want Sydney to be that city with beautiful harbour plus much more on display.

And your view of Martin Place is very narrow. First of all, it shows off our historic colonial architecture, which in itself might interest a lot of tourists. Especially GPO, World War I ANZAC Cenotaph. Plus, it has been made famous by a lot of movies and TV productions. Like, Matrix and Superman Returns. A lot of the events are held there too and is the center stage for Christmas Tree Lighting.
centre stage. centre.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't consider myself to be an authority on tourism ads like you do.
But I will tell you this. If we forever have your kind of attitude, Sydney is gonna be all about Harbor and nothing else. Personally, I want Sydney to be that city with beautiful harbour plus much more on display.
I agree, ddjma. I totally understand that Sydney has an amazing harbour and beaches etc, but why we are leaving the whole laneway/coffee culture/street art thing to Melbourne simply beats me. Sydney has all those things in spades too (plus so much more) - it should show off its colonial architecture / terrace houses, arty venues, small bars, restaurants etc etc just like Melbourne does. A lot of people simply assume that Sydney has beaches and little else and Melbourne has the culture. That is simply not true and it sells Sydney short - it is only because Melb has been beating the culture/quirky/arty drum for decades (because that’s all they’ve got) that people are believing these clichés. Cultural tourism is a big drawcard and Sydney would be well advised to perhaps give that 1000000th beach ad a miss (everyone around the world knows this stuff anyway) and advertise the myriad additional strengths our great city can lay claim to!
It is meatheads like SloMo who are responsible for the whole beach / shrimp on the barbie shit in the first place.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
To be fair to Scomatose/Hawaii 5-Sco, the ‘shrimp on the barbie’ campaign was a little before his time.

I imagine in 1984 he was probably finishing his secondary education.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sydney could develop a laneways culture similar to Melbourne in its CBD, however the problem will always be the politics and incompetence of those at the top to make it happen. Melbourne do so much better in that area to actually try and make things work. I know Clover Moore talks about it a lot, but to me she looks more like she is always just buying votes in her electorate. She is very good at politics.

The thing is also that the harbour is an unbelievable attraction and will always beat any laneway for tourism. Saying that, it's become difficult for Sydney not to be stereotyped with simply the sun, sand and surf image, even though that's what overseas tourists tend to mostly look for in Australia. It's a double edged sword. But I agree that some of the older and new architecture in Sydney are definitely worth seeing, and the laneway culture can be created. No reason why you can't have the best of everything.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sydney could develop a laneways culture similar to Melbourne in its CBD, however the problem will always be the politics and incompetence of those at the top to make it happen. Melbourne do so much better in that area to actually try and make things work. I know Clover Moore talks about it a lot, but to me she looks more like she is always just buying votes in her electorate. She is very good at politics.

T.
Nail. Hammer. Head.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sydney could develop a laneways culture similar to Melbourne in its CBD,
Interesting cause I thought that's exactly what we got with Darling Square, many other locations in the CBD and around Central Park. In fact Sydney's new precincts are built with laneways in mind, just done in a way that still feels more unique to Sydney than trying to do a copy/paste of Melbourne which, btw, is been done by nearly every small to large city in the world by now.

What Sydney is lacking is more street food and music, places where you can move through and snack or drink without just having to take a turn into a bad looking back street to 'discover' a bar. We got plenty of those as is. In fact I'd argue Sydney has more 'twists in every turn' than most cities. They just need to apply a similar approach to how The Rocks are during weekends but on a daily/nightly basis. More 'life'.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting cause I thought that's exactly what we got with Darling Square, many other locations in the CBD and around Central Park. In fact Sydney's new precincts are built with laneways in mind, just done in a way that still feels more unique to Sydney than trying to do a copy/paste of Melbourne which, btw, is been done by nearly every small to large city in the world by now.

What Sydney is lacking is more street food and music, places where you can move through and snack or drink without just having to take a turn into a bad looking back street to 'discover' a bar. We got plenty of those as is. In fact I'd argue Sydney has more 'twists in every turn' than most cities. They just need to apply a similar approach to how The Rocks are during weekends but on a daily/nightly basis. More 'life'.
Sorry but have to pipe in, most old cities are made up of small laneways off the main streets.... and most global cities have far more laneway activation than Sydney, example London, Barcelona, Berlin, Paris, Tokyo, Buenos Aires, Edinburgh, Vienna, Hong kong, list goes on.

Haven't spent time around the world, Sydney feels like it could use more laneways not less.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
I’ve been reading about a spectacular makeover of circular quay for years. Is it happening ? Does it pertain only to the historic wharves or is it more extensive ?

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sounds like the upgrade extends also to paving/street furniture on the waterfront ? It was beginning to look tired when I visited in the 90’s!

·
Registered
72,398 Posts
All we then need is to piss off the Cahill and the station, and open the Square up to the harbor, aka Paul Keating style.
no worries. lets start this week
whos going to do this? where do trains and cars go? how much will it cost? never gonna happen:bash:

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Read that they will allow for commercial structures to the height of Cahill, perhaps serving to mitigate its impact ?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Having spent time around the world, Sydney feels like it could use more laneways not less.
I never said we need 'less'. I said we are actually getting a lot more with every new development. The issue as i see it is the activation part - there have been many attempts the last few years with various degrees of success. They need to loosen up their regulations and allow for more things to happen - more music, more vibrancy, more fun.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hate to keep pushing this idea but if no one is going to spend the money burying the rail line then the only option i see is pushing the new wharfs further into the water allowing space for amenities, gardens and a new row of low rise buildings in front of the cahill preferably with rooftop gardens, bars, cafes etc looking out over the harbour..

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Burying the railway line is only going to be hugely expensive (water table issues and all plus reclaimed land), and needs to be deep to get under Harbour Tunnel approaches.

Plus you'd need to cut the city circle line for some time to do all the connections, I'd say minimum 12 months. Even with light rail and metro from 2024 thats a disaster.

And by removing the Cahill you either create a traffic mess in northern North Sydney or funnel traffic down Bridge St

I think moving the water line out a few metres as part of wharf redevelopment to widen the walkway is the more likely outcome and/or reclaiming some of the current retail space

And too many other important objectives for rail lines in an ever growing Sydney than an expensive vanity project.

3721 - 3740 of 4050 Posts