SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 4888 Posts

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's keep this thread for the smaller projects - M4 East, metros etc. can be discussed in their own project-specific threads.

---

To start us off, here's the Castle Hill Eastern Ring Road.

The construction of the eastern ring road at Castle Hill has been underway for about 12 months now. I was thinking about getting some construction photos, but there's already a decent collection of good images on the Baulkham Hills Council website.
http://www.baulkhamhills.nsw.gov.au/Castle-Hill-Ring-Road-Gallery.html

The ring road will remove through traffic from Old Northern Road through the town centre, placing it onto an upgrade Terminus St/Cecil Ave route. Old Northern Rd will then be reduced in lanes and closed north of Crane Rd to allow construction of a bus interchange. Plenty of plans and reports on the BHSC site:
http://www.baulkhamhills.nsw.gov.au/Castle-Hill-Ring-Road.html

The original concept for the bus interchange would have involved Old Northern Rd becoming a 'transit mall' - i.e. a bus only road like Oxford St near Westfield Bondi Junction. This was unfortunately watered down by Council to allow general traffic on the Showground Rd-Crane Rd section and the placement of the bus interchange adjacent to the old railway station site north of Crane Rd.

Completion is expected March 2009. The Western Ring Road (McMullen Ave/Pennant St) was completed in 1999 buy QIC (the owners of Castle Towers).

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Glenhaven Bridge replacement, near Castle Hill, opened in January 2008. It is ridiculous to think that a single-lane timber bridge survived so long on a road carrying 10,000 vpd in the Sydney metro area :nuts:

The upgrade is 250m in length with a bridge span of 51m at a cost of approximately $5 million and will benefit thousands of motorists every day. The new bridge will be located approximately 250m upstream (east) of the existing timber bridge.

Photos from BHSC website

Hopefully the old timber bridge is retained for historical purposes.

·
#pantherpride
1,560 Posts
The road widening on Cowpasture Road between Camden Valley Way / Bringelly Road and the Carnes Hill Marketpalce is currently under construction. According to the RTA website, it is due for completion mid next year. With the final stage, between the M7 and North Liverpool Road, apparently the tenders have just been awarded, and is scheduled for completion in late 2010. More about the Cowpasture Road upgrade here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructionmaintenance/majorconstructionprojectssydney/cowpasture/index.html

·
Walking Leather Boots
1,995 Posts
:lol: why are they building a bridge like 2 metres away from another, cant people be bothered to drive the extra 5 seconds, or is it a congestion thing?

EDIT

sorry didnt bother reading the top part, disregard that comment

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The road widening on Cowpasture Road between Camden Valley Way / Bringelly Road and the Carnes Hill Marketpalce is currently under construction. According to the RTA website, it is due for completion mid next year. With the final stage, between the M7 and North Liverpool Road, apparently the tenders have just been awarded, and is scheduled for completion in late 2010. More about the Cowpasture Road upgrade here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructionmaintenance/majorconstructionprojectssydney/cowpasture/index.html
Excellent. I'll have to go get some pics of construction next time I'm down that way.

·
#pantherpride
1,560 Posts
The Narellan Road extension at Narellan, which opened in late 2007, and removed the dog leg on to The Northern Road.

Here's some pics I took after it opened.

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
The Narellan Road extension at Narellan, which opened in late 2007, and removed the dog leg on to The Northern Road.
Talking of dog legs on Metroad 9, does anyone know the status of the supposed The Northern Road/Richmond Road/George Street extension near Bligh Park (Windsor)?

And on an unrelated matter, is the road works on President Avenue at Kirrawee (concerning the bridge over the railway) part of the rail works on the Cronulla Line? I thought the pin was pulled from this project?

·
#pantherpride
1,560 Posts
Talking of dog legs on Metroad 9, does anyone know the status of the supposed The Northern Road/Richmond Road/George Street extension near Bligh Park (Windsor)?
The RTA are currently looking at investigations for the dog-leg at Bligh Park as part of general improvements to Richmond Road, so it's definitely on their radar.

Improvements to Richmond Road
The NSW Government is committed to upgrading Richmond Road to improve road safety and efficiency for motorists, cyclists, pedestrians and bus users.

Background
Richmond Road is a 23.5 kilometre route linking Blacktown and Richmond. It functions as an arterial road linking major urban and rural areas.

Members of the community have requested various road and intersection upgrades for safety and better traffic flow along this route.

In November 2006 the NSW Government announced details of the program to upgrade Richmond Road.

The RTA plans to improve key intersections along Richmond Road, including:

Richmond Road and Garfield Road west.
Richmond Road and St Marys Road.
Richmond Road and the intersections of Knox Road and Quakers Hill Parkway.
Richmond Road and Northern Road.
Knox Road and Quakers Hill Parkway

Investigations are currently underway for improvements to:

Richmond Road / Garfield Road West intersection.
Richmond Road / Northern Road intersection.
Source

It's quite vague, but I would imagine it would be making George Street a four leg intersection, and maybe replacing the roundabout with signals - however, that would I imagine depend on VPD's through there and also average wait times at that intersection.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
It's nice to see a thread focusing on the smaller projects.

Businesses in Castle Hill arent keen on the ring road because they see its bad for business. I remember last year this was also being built as part of the expansion of Castle Towers.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be interesting to see the corresponding "revitalisation" program for The Northern Road once the bypass is opened.
Have a look on Council's website for the Main Street Revitalisation Strategy or something similar. I can't remember whether it is current being prepared following the completion of the Bus Interchange study or whether it has already been completed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I came back from the Central Coast on the weekend. Why is it taking so long to widen the Mt Colah-Cowan stretch? They've been working on it for so long and i barely see any progress each time I go

Also RTA please resurface pittwater road in brookvale

·
#pantherpride
1,560 Posts
Have a look on Council's website for the Main Street Revitalisation Strategy or something similar. I can't remember whether it is current being prepared following the completion of the Bus Interchange study or whether it has already been completed.
OK, thanks.

I'll check it out on Friday when I'm up there, and I may take some pics if I have time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Probably money/budgets as usual, since only a certain amount is allocated every financial year. Throw enough money at them and they could probably get it done in a few months, but that's dreaming!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
The next thing needed after the Castle Hill East Bypass is the widening of Showground Road.

Because I now live in the area I agree that Richmond Road needs work especially George Street/The Northern Road intersection and the Knox Road/Quakers Hill intersection.

1 - 20 of 4888 Posts