SkyscraperCity banner

3961 - 3980 of 5385 Posts

·
Sure, Jan...
3,421 Posts
Comparison:

Noticeable changes here:
  • Ernest Street's ramps are removed with excess road capacity given to a 'greening' of the bridge. I can see the justification for this being that the majority of traffic on Military Rd should shift to the tunnel, hence any existing Ernest traffic can be easily accommodated.
  • The Falcon Street overpass is a diverging diamond.
  • Falcon St exit looks as if it is WHT only, so I'm assuming the remaining northbound traffic is directed to Miller Street.
  • Southbound Military Rd exit now accessed via the middle carriageway
  • Slightly unclear, but to my eyes it looks like the Brook Street ramps are physically separated from the carriageways and are actually extensions of the Miller Street ramps. Buses will then be conflict free from the Willoughby Rd entrance onwards and signage will hopefully be a bit simpler.
  • Military Rd buses get a dedicated flyover to join the bus lane on the far eastern side of the freeway.
  • Beaches Link exit has a dedicated merge into the bus lane.

This one is harder to make out:
  • The High Street 'loop' is no more. A new flyover serves the purpose of connecting High St to Whaling Rd, with an intersection replacing the rest.
  • The bus on ramp has a tighter angle, meaning a new on ramp possibly landing in what seems to be the existing western-most lane.
  • The layout of the weave between Alfred St N, and the Alfred St N freeway exit remains the same except the freeway exit lanes are now grade separated to go over the bus lane and the northbound link from Mount St to Alfred St N.
  • That Alfred St N exit now seems to be the only way to access the Cahill Expressway from the Warringah Freeway; involving exiting the main carriageway, flying over the bus lane, diving under Mount Street, meeting the Mount Street on ramp to continue more or less in it's current configuration.
  • What's very interesting, and very new, is the northbound on ramp from the High Street overpass to the Warringah Freeway.
  • This seems to be accommodated by the removal of the northbound Mount St exit, which I gather is being justified in the same way as the Ernest Street reduction is; i.e. if those accessing North Sydney from west of the Anzac Bridge will now be using the Western Harbour Tunnel, then there's freed capacity at the Pacific Highway exit to accomodate those accessing High Street from south of the Harbour.

For buses from Beaches Link (or anywhere from the freeway really) to access North Sydney, they will have until just after the Military Road on ramp to join general traffic to access the Alfred Street exit to get onto High Street. The new High Street on ramp allows buses to get on the freeway direct from the Pacific Highway, but I wouldn't call this "direct access to North Sydney" as the documents say. Military Rd buses will have better access via Miller Street with the McLaren Street exit to the station only being a few stops from Falcon Street.

·
24,281 Posts
What I find really interesting (and potentially an issue) is all 3 road harbour crossings interchange at the same location in North Sydney. This seems like a choke point waiting to happen IMO regardless of how it's designed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
With the addition of the western harbour tunnel and the northern beaches link to the currently under construction westconnex, Sydney surely will have the longest continuous road tunnel in the world! If not the longest it would have to be 'up there' for sure!

The western harbour tunnel will be 6.5km, the northern beaches link at its longest point (cammeray to wakehurst parkway) will be 9.7km.

from the 3 farthest different routes drivers can take through this tunnel network they will travel,

*M4 east to the New M5 east (22km)

*New M5 east to Northern Beaches, wakehurst parkway exit (32.7km)

*M4 east to northern Beaches (21.7km)

The farthest trip in the tunnel network will be 32.7km! And this will eventually grow even longer once the proposed f6/M6 motorway is built.

·
Sure, Jan...
3,421 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Sorry - I'm all over the shop at the moment. Lots of moving in the last 8 months.

Definitely aware that northconnex and westconnex are both separate, but I am really interested in both. The alison road/anzac is particularly interesting for me as I used that intersection every day for a few years, and do lots of running around centennial park. Since leaving sydney I haven't been able to keep up as much and rely on others.

the last photo I saw, the light rail was almost through the intersection and the slip lane to turn left into alison was almost open

·
Registered
599 Posts
the last photo I saw, the light rail was almost through the intersection and the slip lane to turn left into alison was almost open
The continuous flow intersection is part of the Alexandra to Moore Park up grade ( part of WestConnex) and as mentioned above is still in the planning/approval stage, it is separate to the LR project. Altought the lightrail project has taken this into account and is proceeding thru the area on the assumption that all will be approved later this year.

·
Authorised Replicant
1,525 Posts
Not bad. That's a lot closer to the actual construction budget of the project (their 51% share) than the $4-5 billion figure being thrown around before.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The current publicly released budget is $16.8 billion. As far as I can tell the NSW Government has invested $3.6 billion and there has been a $1.5 billion grant from the Federal Government. The Federal Government has also loaned $2 billion. Separately Sydney Motorway Corporation (SMC) has raised $1.5 billion and $1.7 billion via two private separate debt issues.

It looks like the State Government has invested $3.6 billion in SMC and has now sold 51% for $9.3 billion and still own 49%.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It’s not that simple, this is actually a very good result.

A few items have been de-scoped from the project - these include Sydney Gateway and, Rozelle Interchange which will now be funded 100% by the NSW government rather than by Sydney Motorway Corporation. There will also be a state government capital grant of $1.6 towards Stage 3 (mainline tunnels). The cost of all of these contributions is $5.3b which needs to be taken out of the sale price. This leaves $4b in cash back to the NSW government.

That’s only half of the story since the NSW government still owns the other 49%, which has been valued at $9b. If you think about the government contributions so far, the NSW government has put in $3.6b in equity, thrown in the M5 West concession (worth about $2b) and the Australian Government threw in $1.5b (this was a capital grant, so they get nothing back for this). Effectively all of this adds to $7.1 which has been contributed from all levels of government so far for a stake that is now worth $9b.

Long story short, the NSW government has an equity stake worth $3.4b more than what they have contributed (or $1.9b more if you include the Australian Government contribution) PLUS $4b in cash that can be spent elsewhere. Obviously the equity stake is only worth $9b on paper - this could increase if traffic forecasts exceed expectations or could be worth nothing if the road goes bankrupt.

But there is more. WestConnex will raise $2.2b of debt on transaction close and distribute half of this to the NSW Government, so at this point they will get $1.1b cash, but their equity stake will go down to about $7.9b at current value.

Net result, the road is basically free, plus a $7.4b net paper profit to taxpayers.

It takes a bit of working out, but there are a lot of details here: https://yourir.info/resources/a5095...cl.asx/3A499896/TCL_Investor_Presentation.pdf

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Something else to consider - The F6 and Western Harbour Tunnel will increase traffic on Stage 3, and Transurban has probably incorporated some of that (with appropriate discount for the risk of them not being completed) into the price they have paid.

Taking F6 as an example, it could cost up to about $2.6b, but the $1.77 toll will only support about $600m of funding. The NSW Government will probably have to contribute the other $2b, some of which can come from the premium paid now, and some from an increase in the value of the remaining 49% WestConnex stake when the traffic actually flows.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Given Transurban's confidence about it's traffic forecasts the government shouldn't sell the remaining 49% until at least after it's all open.

In addition you also have to remember SMC is earning toll income now on the M4.

Edit:That's a great link. Transurban gives the project a current enterprise value of $25.2 billion.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It’s not that simple, this is actually a very good result.

A few items have been de-scoped from the project - these include Sydney Gateway and, Rozelle Interchange which will now be funded 100% by the NSW government rather than by Sydney Motorway Corporation. There will also be a state government capital grant of $1.6 towards Stage 3 (mainline tunnels). The cost of all of these contributions is $5.3b which needs to be taken out of the sale price. This leaves $4b in cash back to the NSW government.

That’s only half of the story since the NSW government still owns the other 49%, which has been valued at $9b. If you think about the government contributions so far, the NSW government has put in $3.6b in equity, thrown in the M5 West concession (worth about $2b) and the Australian Government threw in $1.5b (this was a capital grant, so they get nothing back for this). Effectively all of this adds to $7.1 which has been contributed from all levels of government so far for a stake that is now worth $9b.

Long story short, the NSW government has an equity stake worth $3.4b more than what they have contributed (or $1.9b more if you include the Australian Government contribution) PLUS $4b in cash that can be spent elsewhere. Obviously the equity stake is only worth $9b on paper - this could increase if traffic forecasts exceed expectations or could be worth nothing if the road goes bankrupt.

But there is more. WestConnex will raise $2.2b of debt on transaction close and distribute half of this to the NSW Government, so at this point they will get $1.1b cash, but their equity stake will go down to about $7.9b at current value.

Net result, the road is basically free, plus a $7.4b net paper profit to taxpayers.

It takes a bit of working out, but there are a lot of details here: https://yourir.info/resources/a5095...cl.asx/3A499896/TCL_Investor_Presentation.pdf
Yes. A *slightly* different story to the “State government has spent $16.8bn/$50bn of your money on a tollway and given it away to their mates!!!11!!!1!” Horsesh1t being continually spat out by protestors

3961 - 3980 of 5385 Posts