SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 27134 Posts

·
Perthite
8,037 Posts
Woo was on set 80 today. Nice and shiny and smells nice :) Already had scratches on the windows :mad: :mad: The only difference being the displays, they are a lot nicer to read, and now show which side to leave on.

I was going to take a picture when getting off at my station.... but the door was off the platform lol, was at the front and the driver missed it. On the way to Perth we skipped Kwinana entirely because we didn't stop in time for the platform :/ Just kinda slid through it lol.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I came back from a weekend down south today. There was a little water on the freeway at Como today, although nowhere near as bad as it was a few years ago thanks to the wall they built. The northbound train was also proceeding very slowly.

The Perth-Bunbury highway looks to be at least a month from completion - a fair bit of work in progress at the south end, and they haven't painted the lines at the north end. ETA: their June newsletter confirms an August opening. Oh, and the Roadhouse at the Centre of the Universe is closing, it's just north of where the PBH joins Old Coast Road.

·
I said love, I said pet
1,691 Posts
^^Actually had no idea construction of the road was that advanced!

·
Premium Member
Mercedes-Benz OC 500 LE
6,528 Posts
I came back from a weekend down south today. There was a little water on the freeway at Como today, although nowhere near as bad as it was a few years ago thanks to the wall they built. The northbound train was also proceeding very slowly.

The Perth-Bunbury highway looks to be at least a month from completion - a fair bit of work in progress at the south end, and they haven't painted the lines at the north end. ETA: their June newsletter confirms an August opening. Oh, and the Roadhouse at the Centre of the Universe is closing, it's just north of where the PBH joins Old Coast Road.
Mortality rates in drivers traversing that stretch of road will decrease dramatically.

·
WARREN
8,177 Posts
Bullswool said:
Woo was on set 80 today. Nice and shiny and smells nice Already had scratches on the windows :mad: :mad:
You'd be surprised how easily they do it. I was on an X'Trapolis set over here today and some ferals were scratching them :bash: - took about five seconds.

Unfortunately it's pretty easy for them to get away with it. I was disappointed that my first B-set ride was on one with scratches everywhere.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
^ It's the same logic as spray-painting shit on other people's property

·
A 'Refined Bogan'
8,213 Posts
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/cockburn-to-whitfords-trains-slashed-20090630-d3o5.html

Cockburn to Whitfords trains slashed
Chris Thomson
July 1, 2009 - 9:14AM

In a blow to Perth rail commuters, a whopping 79 train services per day have been cut on the Cockburn to Perth and Whitfords to Perth train lines.

Following the introduction of new B-series trains on Sunday, the number of services from Cockburn Central to Perth Underground between 9.37am and 2.36pm were slashed from 42 to 23.

In the opposite direction, the number of trains travelling from Perth Underground to Cockburn Central between 9.13am and 2.00pm was cut from 39 to 21.

On the north side of town, trains between Perth Underground and Whitfords between 8.40am and 2.57pm have been slashed from 52 to 30.

The number of services from Whitfords to Perth Underground between 9.19am and 2.28pm has been cut from 43 down to 23.

-------------------------

How will this affect your commute? Have your say

-------------------------

The introduction of the B-series trains was supposed to have eased congestion on metropolitan Perth's north-south rail network by allowing longer trains to operate at peak periods.

However, as of yesterday commuters between Cockburn, Perth and Whitfords must wait an average 15 minutes for an off-peak train, compared to the seven-and-a-half minutes they waited on Friday.

Labor's shadow transport minister Ken Travers said that the near-50 per cent cutbacks sounded greater than the ones the Government had led him to believe would occur.

"This is clearly part of their 3 per cent efficiency savings," Mr Travers said.

"While I recognise the need to make savings, I believe the Government needs to monitor the impact on customers."

Mr Travers called on the Public Transport Authority to start monitoring consumer sentiment and patronage levels on a weekly basis from this week forward.

The PTA failed to respond to questions, including over whether the cuts had been inspired by Mr Barnett's efficiency drive, and whether the B-series trains had only succeeded in culling rail services on the Cockburn-Perth-Whitfords sector.

In a document obtained by WAtoday.com.au, City of Stirling chief planner Ross Povey warned the train cuts could jeopardise the viability of high density developments at Stirling and Glendalough stations.

"Recent research conducted by Booz and Company in Victoria has shown that without frequencies of less than 10 minutes there is no significant reduction in car usage in transit-oriented developments," Mr Povey advised.

"The Joondalup line has had train frequencies of 7.5 minutes since 2004.

"The PTA has indicated that the reduction in frequencies is due to the government's 3 per cent efficiencies cut and low patronage levels."

On the Mandurah line, a high density centre planned for Cockburn Central has been hit hard by the property slump.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
What a pissweak response from Labor.

Interesting to hear that stats about TODs

I really dislike the fact that most governments treat public transport expenditure as some optional add-on when government revenues are going well. Which road projects have been delayed or cancelled? Zero.

·
Mr Superstar
2,407 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned/discussed anywhere.

But has anyone else noticed all the glass bus shelters being smashed lately? Like I have not seen one lately where it hasnt been smashed.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Can we seperate roads from rail and other infrastructure? Makes it easier to navigate and find what is of interest.

·
Perthite
8,037 Posts
Can we seperate roads from rail and other infrastructure? Makes it easier to navigate and find what is of interest.
I like it like this, keeps the discussions going, rather than having 3 usually quiet threads :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned/discussed anywhere.

But has anyone else noticed all the glass bus shelters being smashed lately? Like I have not seen one lately where it hasnt been smashed.
I've been noticing this a lot lately. It's annoying that when we have something nice in Perth, it just gets destroyed.

1 - 20 of 27134 Posts