SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the back of projects like the conversion of 363 Adelaide Street (formerly Boeing House) to student accommodation, and the extensive refurbishment of 36 Wickham Terrace (formerly Suncorp Centre "Wedding Cake"), I thought a thread relating to these kinds of conversions and refurbishment might be a good idea, rather than posting in the faster moving News & Gossip Thread.

There may only be these two projects at present, but with the moving of State Government offices out of low grade office buildings into 1 William Street, there's a chance that we might see a lot more of these kinds of projects occurring.

As a new thread is nothing without photos, here's 36 Wickham Terrace:

P1230010 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

P1230009 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

The traffic light pole was strategically placed in this photo to block the sun, in case you're wondering.

P1230012 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

And 363 Adelaide Street:

P1230014 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

P1230015 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

P1230023 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

P1230024 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

P1230030 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

P1230031 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

P1230032 by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

·
23,971 Posts
The hotel on the corner of Albert and Mary streets is another example.

Great idea for a thread.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ Oh wow! I hadn't seen it with the new vertical signage. Regardless of the lackluster retail offering, it has certainly given that building a new lease on life. It doesn't look like a building that is over 60 years old.

·
23,971 Posts
Nope, they are adding quite a bit of floorspace externally as well as a full refurbishment.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a few plans to show how significant the changes to the building's exterior will be. The appearance of the building will change to the extent that the old "Wedding Cake" nickname will no longer apply.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Maybe its just me but I really can't see how the slight increase in floor space could justify the expense of doing so. A refurb fine, I see that, but adding a slight extension on three sides? The cost has to outweigh the benefit.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Agree seens like a lot of money spent for a little increase in floor space but I think the exterior of the building will look heaps better

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Possibly to do with building services (ie there appear to be some additional risers tacked onto each "wing").

1 - 20 of 570 Posts