SkyscraperCity banner

541 - 560 of 570 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
I'm not sure how I missed this, since I must look at them almost every day, but yesterday I was looking at the buildings at KP and was thinking to myself something seems different, didn't 2 of them used to be a lot more alike? (Macleay and Stradbroke towers on Goodwin St).

So I looked back through some older photos, and here are 2 recent ones to compare with today.

This morning

Earlier this year

·
Optimist
7,318 Posts
Good catch, looks much better. Wonder if they plan on doing the plant rooms on both as well.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

The sails to deflect falling glass around Waterfront Place are coming down. Its a shame they need to put something else in place as the openness is very nice and enables Naldham House to get a suntan for the first time in years.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
View attachment 745324

The sails to deflect falling glass around Waterfront Place are coming down. Its a shame they need to put something else in place as the openness is very nice and enables Naldham House to get a suntan for the first time in years.
It's not a very cluttered awning affair they are putting in is it? I seem to remember some of us were pleased with how it would open it all up.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
View attachment 745324

Great minds bribri, as I went by that way this morning to check out the progress (before seeing your post).

20201118_084534
by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

20201118_084549

As a reminder, this is how the awning is to look.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Brisbane Times--->Brisbane's Great Wall goes back in time to find its future

A run-down landmark Fortitude Valley heritage building is being transformed back to its 1890s glory days as a retail and office complex.

The building, named the Great Wall Shopping Centre in the 1970s when it housed a collection of Asian shops, will once again be known as Stewart and Hemmant, recognising the two Scottish and English businessmen who came to Australian during the gold rushes to find their fortune.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
How much more pleasant will be that rounding the bend into The Valley via McLachlan Street when this is finished.
Is that Chinese tower the water tower mentioned? Never knew what that was....actually never thought about it to be honest apart from being "Chinese".

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #551
^^ Yes, that is the building's original water tower. It looks much better with the inserts covering the arches removed as in bribri's photo:

View attachment 702802

They have painted and appear to be keeping the "Chinese" style roof of the tower, perhaps as a gesture to its use over the past few decades, perhaps as they didn't see a need to spend money changing it?
------------------------------

I posted these in the Valley thread a little while back, but as they relate to this:

20201102_154528

Phone crop

2020-11-03_08-57-22

If you're wondering about the remnants of the painted Chinese scenes and the still-broken windows, those windows and brick panels are going to be removed, with rebuilt windows stretching down to the original sill height yet to be installed.

20201102_154723

Scaffolding is still up on the front, but the top of the gables peaking through give a little tease of what lays behind.

20201102_154930

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
^^ Yes, that is the building's original water tower. It looks much better with the inserts covering the arches removed as in bribri's photo:

------------------------------

I posted these in the Valley thread a little while back, but as they relate to this:

20201102_154528

Phone crop

2020-11-03_08-57-22

If you're wondering about the remnants of the painted Chinese scenes and the still-broken windows, those windows and brick panels are going to be removed, with rebuilt windows stretching down to the original sill height yet to be installed.

20201102_154723

Scaffolding is still up on the front, but the top of the gables peaking through give a little tease of what lays behind.

20201102_154930
Yes, I saw those images when you you posted them. It will be good to not see those lovely aircons. as shown in bribri's/bris times. Hahaha.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #554

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

The old police building on Charlotte St seems almost done including a restaurant/cafe space down the laneway (really just a driveway) next to it.

There is real scope to also have a cross block link for pedestrians from Elizabeth St to Charlotte St walking past John Mills Himself.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
IIRC, the new Elizabeth Arcade was also designed to connect with existing laneways if they were ever activated. They have a lot of potential, it just depends if that potential is realised.

·
Queenslander
334 Posts
Wonder if they'll remove the paint on Family to reflect its new interior style as 'The Warehouse'. Sad days, Family was far better fit out than Met and Prohibition.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
^^ I thought The Warehouse only occupies one level of the Family. Has the remainder of the nightclub closed down?

541 - 560 of 570 Posts