SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
i've changed my mind
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ipswich deserves its own thread. I drove through the place (by mistake) and was suprised that there were a few decent office buildings there! nice to see if anyone has any pics of the cbd.

Also, isnt there some sort of big shopping centre being built along the river? i recall some people throwing around words like 'biggest in queensland' and all that sorta hype...

please post info cause im full of crap :p (and i still dont know how to post the proper smiley faces damn it!!!

·
i've changed my mind
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Centrelinks national headquarters or something? gonna be 300 foota

·
i've changed my mind
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a render of the 16 storey building in fridays paper... it said it is very 'iconic' for ipswich

·
i've changed my mind
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the article - >

Courier Mail Friday, October 8, 2004

Michelle Hele and Jeff Sommerfeld

Plans are under way to give Ipswich its tallest building which
will house a mix of residential and retail space in the heart
of the CBD.

The proposed $26 million 16-storey tower, with an additional
four levels underground, would also feature 500sq m of
retail space on its ground level and just over 500sp m in an
adjoining building for restaurants.

The project by Dore Property Corporation is awaiting council
approval.

Managing Director Ian Dore said Brisbane had already been
successful in getting more people living, working, eating and
shopping in the CBD and now it was Ipswich's turn.

The proposed tower will have 99 units, a swimming pool and
gymnasium.

The residential component will range from studio apartments
to three bedroom units and penthouse suites. Prices for a
two-bedroom unit on the eighth floor, depending on the
aspect, will be between $350,000 and $400,000.

"The building has an iconic design," Mr Dore said. Initially,
he believed between 30 and 35 per cent of the units would
sell to locals, but strong early interest had led him to revise
that to up to 65 per cent.

Mr Dore said it had been important to allow space for retail
and restaurants in the development. He said people living
in the city expected those things would be directly on their
doorstep.

If approved the project would be built on the historic
bakehouse site on Darling and Ellenborough streets
overlooking the Bremer River.

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale said inner city residential
development was identified as a key component of the
council's River Heart planning vision for the CBD, with a 98
room hotel currently under construction in the CBD.

"The calibre of these two projects together with the
amount of development around the city demonstrates that
Ipswich is coming of age," he said.

·
i've changed my mind
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know the name of the huge shopping complex to be built on the river bank in ipswich? trying to find the website for it

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
What's the Ipswich CBD like, Any Pics, renders etc to show.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Absolutely - Ippy side needs a new thread of its own.. at the moment there are some development updates in the Ipswich council website.
Follow "River heart"
so far the only one I could find.. They are so sectret squirrels

BUT - the Ipswich international Hotel (go figure) got the go ahead, and another apartment block.. still sourcing addresses and heights.

With new industrial opportunities getting the green light (ie SWAN Bank Paper Plant) there should be some more activity in the near future..

·
i've changed my mind
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
have they started construction of that 16 storey residential building yet?

·
i've changed my mind
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spirited debate over highrise plans

By CARMEN GREIVE

PUBLIC opinion has flared over the introduction of highrise buildings in Ipswich, fuelling a fiery debate into heritage preservation versus progressive development.

A handful of residents yesterday called on Ipswich City Council to reject highrise building applications, saying they conflicted with the heritage character of Ipswich.

The 15-storey Aspire apartment block, at the Bakehouse Steakhouse site, has received council approval as has the 98-room, multi-storey Ipswich International Hotel on South Street.

Most recently, a Sydney firm lodged plans for a 16-storey, three-tower block complex opposite Queens Park. Eastern Heights resident and former mayoral candidate Graham Douglas, an integrative improvement consultant, said a failure to preserve heritage would repel tourists.

"What attracts tourists is difference and something unique. If we start putting up highrise buildings it will be like downtown Brisbane or downtown anywhere in the world," Mr Douglas said.

Ipswich mayor Paul Pisasale said the city's heritage program was "second to none in Queensland".

"I don't see a city full of high-rises. That's not us," he said.

"But one or two buildings won't hurt us, it will help us."

Cr Pisasale said inner-city living was proven to help reduce crime and would revitalise the CBD.

It would also have an enormous economic benefit, according to Tony Russell, president of the Ipswich Region Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

It would create jobs and apartment residents would boost business in the CBD.

State government laws do not permit Ipswich City Council to reject any building development because of its height.

A spokesman said council had "character zones" where new developments had to be sympathetic to the character of the area.

The proposed towers opposite Queens Park were not in one of these zones.

Booval resident Gervase Pender said highrises contradicted the slogan of Ipswich as a "heritage city".

The unique, defining aspects of Ipswich would be swallowed by new developments, he said.

Real Estate Institute of Queensland Ipswich zone chairman Peter Mendoza said Ipswich had suffered in the past because it had turned away progress.

"It's a product we haven't had before but we’re ready for it," he said.

http://www.qt.com.au/storydisplay.c...localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

·
Yeah but No!!
1,496 Posts
Is it just me or does it seem like Queensland has more nimby's (excusing the Gold Coast) than anywhere else in the country. I understand that places dont want to lose their character but it just seems to me like everyone is too scared of change, no wonder Brisbane had kept the Big Country Town Label for so damn long!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Having only moved to Queensland a couple of years ago from NSW, I agree and wish to add that Queensland should declare open season on those pesky nimbys. :)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Preservation is fine, but you do need to move forwards - it isn't like they're knocking down anything with historic value to build these towers.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
idiots. No one wants to visit Ipswich now, and if he thinks their supposed heritage makes people want to he is greatly mistaken.

A CBD full of highrises will make people want to visit, for shopping, leisure, entertainment, or a number of other things.

A lowrise hole of a CBD attracts no one.

Bring on the development

1 - 20 of 337 Posts