SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 559 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
This thread is only for low and mid rise developments under 40m around Adelaide.

-------------

ADELAIDE CBD

Centro Apartments; Pulteney Street; 6 levels; Proposed

Bent Street Apartments; Corner Bent Street and York Street; 6 levels; U/C

Aqua Apartments; Flinders Street; 7 levels; U/C

Alpha Apartments; Frome Street; 9 levels; U/C

Maximo Apartments; Pulteney Street; 7 levels; Proposed

Majestic Roof Garden Hotel; Frome Street; 8 levels; U/C

]

Lumiere Apartments; Halifax Street; 5 levels; U/C

Windsor Apartments; Hurtle Square; 5 levels; U/C

Queen's Apartments; corner King William Street and Halifax Street; 2 x 6 level buildings and one 8 level building; U/C

Domain Apartments; Grenfell Street; 8 levels; Approved

Dakota on Wyatt; Wyatt Street; 9 levels; Approved

Optus Tower Apartment Complex; King William Street; 8 levels; approved

·
Registered
450 Posts
New one...

Light Square Development Underpins Strong Demand For Premium Office Space
16/02/04
(ACC website)

A high quality, eight-level office development to be built at Light Square will accommodate up to 500 City workers, underpinning strong demand for premium office space in the City.

An application from Tritan Corporation Pty Ltd to construct the office building 52-58 Light Square, on the corner of Playhouse Lane, was approved by the Development Assessment Panel tonight.

With a floor area of 7264m2, the development involves demolishing an existing building and constructing the multi-level building with basement car parking for 30 vehicles accessible from Playhouse Lane.

Designed by Woodhead International the building includes energy efficient features including thermal insulation, glazing, sun shading, low energy fittings, recycled materials and natural light.

There is an opportunity for a café to be developed on the ground floor which would spill out into Light Square, and the entrance is pedestrian-friendly with a cover over the public footpath.

“Construction of this high quality office development is good news for the City,” the Lord Mayor, Mr Michael Harbison, said.

“In the past six months three major office development projects have been approved which will add an extra 50,649 m2 office space in the City, and, taking the Light Square development into account, space for an extra 4,000 City workers over the next few years.

“The development reflects growing business interest in investing in the City and maintains the City as the principal focus for business in South Australia.

“There is strong demand for premium office space, with not enough of this type of space currently available in the City.

“While the City’s vacancy rate has flat lined at 11%, this is a short term trend, symptomatic of a market where office tenants are preparing to move into A grade accommodation as lesser quality space is vacated for redevelopment and taken off the market.”

·
Registered
738 Posts
The Light Square proposal is an 8 storey building - I think it's on the corner part between the arts center thingy and Night Train.

There's also a 9 storey commo named "Admiral" approved for Hindmarsh Square.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yob said:
The Light Square proposal is an 8 storey building - I think it's on the corner part between the arts center thingy and Night Train.

There's also a 9 storey commo named "Admiral" approved for Hindmarsh Square.
Actually this building will be built at the other end of Light Square, I have just checked my street directory, and Playhouse Lane is on the opposite side to the TAFE Arts building.

On the topic of low-rise buildings, there is a 5 level office block currently U/C on the corner of Flinders and Frome Streets.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Those pics of Alpha Apartments are a week old, max. It's looking cool, and i'm urging everyone to check out the feature of the facade on the frome road end - it's half done and looks ultra sweet! It's a photo of the old john martins store from the 1920's embossed in the metal.... that's going to look so fucking nice when it's all finished and probably lit up at night!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was in Adelaide on the W/E and I agree it looks pretty slick. Also the top part of the building can be seen sticking up above the surrounding buildings from many spots to the east of the CBD so it should add a touch of class to the skyline from this direction.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I do :D

as far as I could make out the other day the entire Flinders link site was being cleared - hopefully this means they'll soon make a start to the other buildings as well as Dakota

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Will said:
Actually this building will be built at the other end of Light Square, I have just checked my street directory, and Playhouse Lane is on the opposite side to the TAFE Arts building.
There is a rendering of this project in the City Messenger from a couple of weeks ago. It will be built on the southern side of Playhouse.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for the updates yob - nice angle of alpha from across Rundle Street.

New one from Advertiser today (render looks schlick...alas no scanner)

$30m plan for creche site
By ANDREW HOUGH
13mar04

IT has sat empty for eight years and was once the home of a building described as the "pride and joy for women around the state".

The derelict South Adelaide creche site in Gouger St, city, was the location for Australia's first child care centre. Many battles were fought to save the heritage-listed building, which was dismantled eight years ago.

Now a $30 million development, to be considered by Adelaide City Council on Monday night, is likely to finally take its place..

The plans, which were submitted by property developers the Kambitsis group, are for a seven-storey retail and office complex to be built at 13-21 Gouger St.

The development – which will be be called the Minter Ellison Building – has been labelled non-complying by an internal council staff report to the panel's members.

"It is clear, on the face of it, that this proposal would have significant benefits for this part of Gouger St," the report says.

"However, it is equally clear that the proposal contravenes to a very considerable degree the requirements of the plan relating to podium height. This, coupled with the very substantial amount of additional floorspace proposed for the site, results in a building of much greater bulk that is envisaged by the plan."

If approved, the development is expected to take 15 months.

The development's plans include space for 400 office workers, 47 car parks and a roof garden.

The building will be home to law firm Minter Ellison.

Kambitsis director, George Kambitsis said yesterday the building had a five–star green rating.

He also said it was "sensitive" to the precinct's character.

"The green rating is more than just energy conservation but it also creates a better working environment," he said.

Mr Kambitsis bought the site in 1994 and had the facade removed from the State heritage list.

Despite protests, the building was demolished on the condition the bricks were numbered and stored. He said last night the old creche would be given three different memorials, which was "more than just a plaque".

He said a female artist would be commissioned to create a piece of public art symbolising the creche, an interpretive display to be created in a nearby public space, with photographs, model and history.

A historian would collect, compile and research the creche, with the results donated to the State Library.

One of the creche's key supporters, former lord mayor, current member for Adelaide and state education minister Jane Lomax–Smith, said yesterday she was "still outraged" at the way the heritage-listed building was treated. She had once described the creche as an example of Adelaide's "non-male history".

"I feel severely let down by the process because that site was heritage listed," she said.

"It was the pride for women everywhere."

·
Registered
738 Posts
There's also a 6-7 level apartment complex with roof garden planned for the site of the Tivoli Hotel (across the road from garden east, next to tandanya). The plan is to retain the front bar and hotel portion and build the complex behind it. 26 apartments from memory. Should make for a nicely dense midrise area in the east end - with garden east, and on the other side of the road this building and Domain apartments close by.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I wonder how many mid-rise buildings are being planned or are under construction in the southern half of the City. There's so many small projects that I've never heard of before beginning to emerge. :dizzy:

1 - 20 of 559 Posts