SkyscraperCity banner

441 - 460 of 480 Posts

·
23,969 Posts
Except I just realised it is code assessable unless it's too tall or has too much GFA. What a NIMBY infested planning scheme Brisbane is getting.

It's all good as long as it's not too dense or too tall.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Amsterdam looks nothing like this now because they prioritised building for people and not cars.

I think that picture portrays an over exaggerated. This development will be similar in traffic flow to that of Coorparoo Sq, Gas works or the development that was approved at Albion station. The extra parks are mandated mainly for the apartment titles.

·
23,969 Posts
610 non-residential car parks and 233 residential. I think you'll find a majority of the car parks are not for the residential.

The picture is not over-exaggerated. It's exactly what Amsterdam was like before they realised building for private vehicles over people wasn't the best approach. Don't pretend we are exceptional.

Also, Albion has notably less car parking than they are permitted with the retail and commercial components accommodating more than 100 fewer car parks than permitted. I don't have the time to review Coorparoo Square and the Gas Works but if my memory serves me well it's similar to Albion.

As a result, the traffic flows will be significantly higher proportionally.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
^^The building will be structured to allow rooftop expansion, making it a multi level development in the future.I really like the earthy undertones of the design. The development on that parcel of land is well overdue and it will benefit the area tremendously.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It will be interesting to see if they ever have enough students to fill these buildings anymore. I bet that woman who opposed the Dama Zaha Hadid champagne flute towers is wondering if these student towers will be filled with homeless people or rented by the government as public housing. Serves her right.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dissappointing while the rest of Toowong is coming along nicely. I thought the latest plan was for a green bridge to land on the former ABC site. That was probably canned by Karen too. She's never satisfied.

·
23,969 Posts
That was on an open block of land. This is on a deteriorating retail premises.

·
23,969 Posts
I specifically used the word real.

A black of land next to a park is easy. Redeveloping the tired retail is another thing entirely.

Not a huge difference, but it will feel very different with it occurring in multiple areas.

·
Not_the_timber_man
353 Posts
i don't understand how it is different sorry. if anything the retail would be easier to redevelop. it appears to have had only one owner, who was presumably an investor, and the structures on the site are not heritage protected. central park was previously home to several houses that would have had character protection and multiple owners, some of whom could have included owner-occupiers who are typically more emotional than investors.

·
23,969 Posts
It's only different in my head. nothing officially different. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Couriermail.com.au--->New Mid Rise Apartment Block for Sylvan Road Toowong

Days after controversial high-rise survey lands, new plans are revealed for another apartment block in Toowong
A multistorey apartment complex with more than 40 units has been proposed for construction in Toowong, just days after a scathing survey into a $450 million redevelopment of the Town Centre landed.

Blake Antrobus, Quest Newspapers
Subscriber only

August 6, 2020 12:02pm

A multistorey apartment complex with more than 40 units has been proposed for construction in Toowong, just days after a scathing survey into a $450 million redevelopment of the Town Centre landed.

Developer Standring Pty Ltd has lodged plans for the multistorey development along Sylvan Rd earlier this week.

Brisbane City Council will decide whether the apartment block, which will be eight floors high and filled with 43 units, will go ahead at a later date.

Planning documents claim the apartment block will “contribute positively to the image, quality and overall identity of Toowong”.

The development is much smaller than the planned revamp of the Toowong Town Centre but is located only a few blocks away.

On Tuesday, a survey organised by Maiwair MP Michael Berkman identified concerns about traffic flows and lack of community input into the major development.

The area is considered a major thoroughfare with a nearby university and train station and Mr Berkman said the public had a right to know what was going on.

“It’s clear from this survey that densification and growth are making traffic worse on the westside and if we don’t invest now in better public and active transport infrastructure, more high-rises and a new school will turn areas like this into a permanent car park,’’ he said.

441 - 460 of 480 Posts