SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 490 Posts

·
New Urbanist
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brisbane's biggest ever Riverside and Urban Renewal delevopment!

A new rail link and city cat are planned to be built! 5 weeks until council will approve it...
Construction starts next year!

Web site...Video
http://northshore.mooball.net/about/flash_large_view

The vision for Northshore Hamilton is the creation of an urban environment that supports a healthy and diverse community with access to a variety of housing types, community and commercial facilities, and open spaces. An integrated community focused on Northshore Hamilton’s unique riverside location provides opportunities to enhance the character of Brisbane as the River City, through public access and amenity.

Situated just eight kilometres from the Brisbane CBD, Northshore Hamilton represents a unique opportunity to develop a significant brownfield site into a vibrant and diverse community with approximately 10,000 residents.
Northshore Hamilton offers an unparalleled opportunity to create a new waterside precinct in Brisbane that can be enjoyed by both local residents and visitors.

The proposed features of Northshore Hamilton include:

* public access to approximately two kilometres of formerly inaccessible waterfront
* riverwalks, public parks, cycleways, and retail and commercial outlets
* a wide range of dwelling styles and options, catering for diverse residential needs
* good connections to neighbouring entertainment, businesses, venues and transport
* architectural, landscape, environmental and social principles integrated to provide a vibrant, sustainable community.

Northshore Hamilton's extensive river frontage, proximity to the CBD, major employment nodes and transport such as the Gateway Bridge/Motorway, Brisbane's domestic and international airports, and Moreton Bay, make it ideal for urban redevelopment.

http://www.northshorehamilton.com.au/

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
That's hot, looks good.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Some pics from that site.

This is a BIG project to say the least!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dont get me wrong, i am in support of this development, but IMO i think that....i dunno....its kinda boring. They (the developers) have just chosen the easy option, nothing really really exciting (which at this stage in the game, Brisbane needs) which could change the face of brisbane (not just physically)....anyone else agree?

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Well that is the masterplan, probably won't look quite like that.

But i know what you mean, it's a bit New Farm on Steriods, but then again it's a residential development, not really a public space in the way Southbank is, I'd like to see a central iconic tower but then I like towers:p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeh, absolutely, now that you mention it, it is just Newfarm on steroids. However, I dont think an iconic tower would totally suit this location (let alone be allowed) however, i think they could definetely do something iconic with the location to attract the tourists brisbane only dreams of AND still have its main purpose as a residential precint....such a large site would allow for versatility

·
retired
893 Posts
What affect will the airport have on this development? I know when I was playing at RQ (the golf course) next to this development the planes where annoying and are really loud on their approach. I guess all appartments will have double glazed windows but still I wouldn't want to live that close to the airport. Still looks like a great development thou.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a good concept, however its just a 15 year plan at this stage, nothing to say that a owner won't re-develop their land. I would rather see the industrial areas at pinkenbah done before any of this, so it would encourage the tennants to move there.

·
©
9,470 Posts
DeejayT said:
What affect will the airport have on this development? I know when I was playing at RQ (the golf course) next to this development the planes where annoying and are really loud on their approach. I guess all appartments will have double glazed windows but still I wouldn't want to live that close to the airport. Still looks like a great development thou.
Yeah i was thinking the same thing as well. I'm sure that area would be fairly well height restricted?

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
this is good! thats about all i give it. definately an improvement on industrial land but how public is it? i hope it has attractions to bring the ppl in rather than lock em out.

^^ i dont think that Pinkenba is likely of any redevelopment....ever. it is the port of Brisbane and at the base of the Airport Tech Park. Also, the plasterboard factory that is at Northgate is relocating to Pinkenba. Apparently the locals arent worried by this at all.

·
7,972 Posts
I think the rail link only refers to better connections to Doomben and Ascot.

Overall, a pretty good urban development, i like the variety of housing and apartments, and there seems to be a fair amount of open space. I would personally, like others have said, like to have seen somethig more iconic somewhere, whether it be the main tallest building or some sort of sculpture or water feature.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
I hope anyone that moves there likes the sound of low flying aircraft.

I would leave that area as industrial, this is a silly development.

What do they mean in their blurb by a "diverse" community?

·
New Urbanist
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ NO WAY! are you kidding! this is prime riverfront land that is currently being wasted by dumpy old ware houses!!! The airport isn't going to affect it much... though they did reduce the main towers height down from 30 to 20... But this project just signifies the fact that brisbane is starting to love the river more and more...

Also this has so much public open space!! I wouldn't worry too much about an iconic thing there... This is just like a really nice new riverfront suburb more than anything...

Iconic...leave that to Northbank... :)

Aussie Bhoy said:
I would leave that area as industrial, this is a silly development.
If i am correct that sounds much like a nimby statement...

·
Read Only
809 Posts
Great concept and good location but hopefully the final product will be abit more architecturally inspiring. And hopefully they'll extend the Doomben line into the site - its looks like it would hold a significant population and they'll need a decent mass transit mode to get them places.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
zach24 said:
Parochial moron...I am now going to occupy my time seeking out several comments you have made about Melbourne Docklands (negative as per usual).

This development is NICE...but architecturally not very inspiring..but according to you it is WOW.

Dickhead.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
I am not a Nimby!

Just being sensible, I work for ASA at the airport, there are noise complaints from people that live a long way further from the flight plan than this development.

I hope people buying there are made aware of the aircraft noise, they really are right under the path, pretty close to 01. I can imagine thousands of people buying these places, and then starting a new "no aircraft noise" bunfight.

Government just wants to cash in, as the figures in today's Courier Mail show.

Nice if they put in the railway line though.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Homes for 10,000 in $2.5bn riverside development
16 May 2006, The Australian

HOMES for 10,000 people, new retail and leisure facilities and a string of public parks will be developed on riverside industrial land flanking the upmarket Brisbane suburb of Hamilton.

The Port of Brisbane Corporation yesterday unveiled its draft masterplan for an 80ha site stretching 2.5km along the Brisbane River between the Royal Queensland Golf Club and the Portside Wharf cruise terminal, now being built.

State Transport Minister Paul Lucas described the $2.5 billion project as "the most important development of riverfront land in Brisbane's history" and said it would be a bigger boost for the city than the popular South Bank precinct.

The Northshore Hamilton masterplan is a scaled-down version of a proposal the corporation floated last year, which was not received well by either Brisbane City Council or Brisbane Airport Corporation.

That plan allowed for a series of 30-storey buildings and a population of 15,000 on the site, but the latest proposal has a lower density, with a 20-storey height limit and about 10,000 residents.

Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell ****** said Mr Lucas had "graciously agreed" to allow the council to process the development application, even though the port corporation had development approval powers.

Mr ****** said there were still traffic issues to be resolved, but that he was pleased the council's concerns about building heights had been considered.

"It is a fantastic development and I am thrilled to see it getting to this critical stage," he said. The plan would rid Brisbane of "all the run-down wharf operations that always were a bit of a blight on that reach of the river".

The land will become available as the port activities are relocated over the next decade to the rivermouth at Fisherman's Island, which has been renamed the Port of Brisbane.

Port corporation general manager Jenny Ryan said the land was worth more than $500 million, and the massive development of the site would eventually be worth more than $2 billion.

The port corporation is seeking public comment on the plan before submitting its application to the council.

·
Dinosaur Planner
218 Posts
Very uninspired by this proposal.

For a development which is supposed to house over 10, 000 people there is ludicrously little parkland.

Also for almost the entire interface with the river there are buildings almost to the river bank with only a pedestrian path.

What a waste…

1 - 20 of 490 Posts