Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sports and entertainment centre has been proposed by Bramley Properties opposite Carrara Stadium.

From The Gold Coast Bulletin

$63m 'heart' for Carrara sports hub
Mike Bruce

June 17th, 2009

PRIVATE developers have proposed a $63 million sports and entertainment centre directly opposite Carrara Stadium.

Brisbane-based Bramley Properties has proposed a complex of almost 35,000sqm on a 21ha site which will comprise a Southport Sharks-style sports club, shops, restaurants, offices and a Ferry Road-style boutique food and produce market.

The proposal designed by the same architects who did the Southpork Sharks club complex will be lodged with the Gold Coast City Council today, and if approved could be built by 2011.

Have your say on the feedback form below

While the obvious contender as an anchor tenant is the new GC17 AFL club, planner Michael Nash said the developers were talking to several possible sports bodies.

The project yesterday received the stamp of approval from Mayor Ron Clarke, who believed it could also add support to the Coast's 2018 Commonwealth Games bid.

``This is exciting news for the Gold Coast and illustrates perfectly the importance to a City such as ours, of an AFL licence,'' said Cr Clarke.

``Not only has the granting of this (AFL) license resulted in the $135million investment in a new stadium at Carrara by all levels of government federal, state and local it has, as a flow-on effect, provided the impetus for a government-backed bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games (which could generate even more infrastructure for the City).

Mr Nash said the proposed centre would give a `heart, a core and a seven-day-a-week operation', to the Carrara sports precinct.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a case of 'anything goes' on the strip.
The last thing I would want the Gold Coast to resemble is Las Vegas with its tacky theme park style resort developments. It takes away from the well designed towers such as Q1, Circle on Cavill, The Wave and Soul.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Tbh I prefer the Portofino wannabe to the bottom pic of your usual cookie cutter GC apartments.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Tbh I prefer the Portofino wannabe to the bottom pic of your usual cookie cutter GC apartments.
yeah i sort of agree. As long as its not "over the top" garish then i dont mind the variety.

Themes are better in large scale developments as opposed to isolated small development which adds to a visible patchwork of mismatched styles.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Emerald Lakes is now 50 % complete

From The Courier Mail

Paris by the lake
201 words
10 July 2009
The Courier-Mail
COUMAI
1 - First with the news
English
Copyright 2009 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved

CONSTRUCTION of the $60 million French Quarter at the Emerald Lakes development on the Gold Coast has passed the halfway mark.

The Paris-inspired mixed-use precinct has resonated with buyers, with 60 per cent of apartments valued at more than $60 million sold, including six penthouses -- two of which fetched $1.6 million each and three $1.5 million each.

The French Quarter comprises three buildings, Le Parisien, Maison and the nine-level Bella Vue, around a central piazza.

Developer Nifsan's construction manager Hans van Riel said completion was due in February next year. ``We are aiming to have the scaffolding on two of the buildings down by mid-September, which will start to reveal how the structure will look at completion,'' he said.

The Bella Vue building, the biggest of the three, will have a 12m-wide copper-coated fibreglass dome on top, reflecting French architecture.

At street level, the French Quarter will comprise 1060sq m of retail and commercial space. Above the retail precinct will be 1015sq m of offices capped with residential apartments.

Once complete, Emerald Lakes at Carrara will comprise more than 1800 homes.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Retail areas are being snapped up in the French Quarter

French Quarter hots up
August 7th, 2009

FERNWOOD Hotel Group, a New Caledonian dentist and a private investor are the first to snap up retail space at Nifsan's French Quarter precinct in Carrara.

The buyers paid a total of $2.2 million for the units in offmarket deals before the release of the near-2000sqm office and retail precinct at the soon-to-be completed mixed-use development.

A range of retail, restaurant and office tenancies is being offered for sale at the three-building, mixed-use precinct in the $1 billion Emerald Lakes development.

The commercial segment of the $60 million French Quarter sits across the first two levels of two of the buildings, Maison and Le Parisian, which have four and five floors respectively.

The third building in the 109-unit project, the nine-level Bella Vue, will overlook the retail strip to create a central piazza-style area in the heart of the precinct, mirroring what is seen in traditional French cities.

The retail precinct has approval for a restaurant covering 200sqm, 592sqm of retail space and 1140sqm for office use.

The retail and office space, from 74sqm to 281sqm, ranges in price from $5500/sqm to $8000/sqm.

Nifsan's acting manager Sean Wardrop said the company, headed by billionaire Japanese businessman Toshiaki Ogasawara, had fielded numerous inquiries for space in the precinct from national and local businesses.

Fernwood Hotel Group will occupy a 100sqm space, while the dentist bought a 200sqm office and the investor acquired a 79sqm ground-level retail outlet.

"We are ultimately targeting businesses that need that unique point of difference that the French Quarter possesses," said Mr Wardrop.

"This is one of the most unique and impressive commercial offerings that has ever been released to the (Gold Coast) market and will be like nothing ever seen before in the area."

He said the retail tenancies would vary in configuration depending on the needs of the tenant.

"Much like the traditional retail strips in Paris, the French Quarter will provide a continuous boulevard of restaurants, delicatessens, homeware outlets, and other retail and commercial opportunities," he said.

"The distinct Parisian design and sheer aesthetics make the precinct one of a kind."

Mr Wardrop said the sales and leasing campaign targeted retailers, restaurant operators, cafes and various corporate operators requiring high-profile office space.

Construction of the French Quarter has passed the halfway mark and is expected to be finished in February next year.

French Quarter residents also will benefit from a recreation club incorporating a pool and gym.

Agents Kevin Ramsey, Ricky Mahuika and Tyson Mayr, from Ray White Commercial Broadbeach, are marketing the commercial precinct in an open-ended tender campaign.

The French Quarter will link the recently finished first commercial stage, the Town Centre, at Emerald Lakes.

The $45 million Town Centre has two six-level buildings, one with 4100sq m of A-grade office space and the second with two levels of retail topped by 39 one- and two-bedroom apartments.

National liquor retailer BWS was the latest business to secure space in the Town Centre undertaking a lease for 150sq m of ground level retail space, at an undisclosed rate.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Emerald Lakes isn't too bad actually. There are far many worse developments. It'd been done fairly tastefully. Now I'm on uni holidays, I'll go down and get some snaps of the place once the French Quarter is finished.

The other thing that I like at Emerald Lakes is how in the islands in the lake, they've got the nice, big mansions, and then in about half a dozen places on each island, they have multi-unit houses which, from the waterfront, look like it's just one house and it fits right in. Good way of getting a range of residents, preventing a homogenous community.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Maybe they should continue the European theme and have a little Dutch, British, Greek, Spanish and German quarters?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Well also remember that they did buy the statue of David which used to be in Raptis Plaza off Juniper, and they've placed it in their Town Centre section.

And I'm with you Danubis, Emerald Lakes is far better than Springfield(hell-hole). There is heaps of open space and the entire lakefront is opened for recreation.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I dunno - I never thought Q1, Circle on Cavill, Hilton, Soul or Oracle came even close to the 'tacky' side of the scale.

I think it is shaking its tacky image on the whole. Remnants remain, but as for tacky new proposals, I think they're in a minority now.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The council likes saying no to projects in this area especially the medical superclinic.
The locals want these to be built.

Council says put away the shovels
Shannon Willoughby | June 19th, 2010

TWO shovel-ready projects at Carrara worth millions of dollars and scores of jobs do not have the support of the Gold Coast City Council.

An application to build a Woolworths supermarket on a residential site within Nifsan's Emerald Lakes precinct is unlikely to have majority support at Monday's full council meeting.

Meanwhile, a $13 million medical superclinic precinct on Nerang Broadbeach Road was rejected by council earlier this year.

Both Nifsan and Woolworths are frustrated by council's decision and attitude towards the projects, which they claim are necessary for the catchment area of that size.

According to research carried out by the pair, almost 16,000 people live in the region, which includes Emerald Lakes and surrounding residential pockets.

This has been forecast to increase to about 20,000 people by 2016.

A full-line supermarket is needed for every 8000 to 10,000 people.

Woolworths alone would employ about 100 people, while hundreds more would have jobs in the projects' construction.

Residents also backed the proposals, saying the region was in desperate need for the facilities.

But council planning boss Ted Shepherd said that both applications were outside the Emerald Lakes' masterplan, approved after lengthy negotiations in 2006.

Cr Shepherd also said the supermarket giant had plans to build a facility near the Carrara Markets site, which would be used by Emerald Lakes residents.

The site Woolworths wants to build on in Emerald Lakes is next to Emmanuel College, outside the town's European-influenced centre.

The site is zoned for 150 apartments with a seven-storey height limit. Both Nifsan and Woolworths say the site will be less bulky at two storeys, covering 3500sq m, than an apartment building.

The 'superclinic' divided city leaders for months.

In May, it was decided the floor area of the facility be reduced.

Nifsan said the scheme, which went from 1172sq m to 600sq m and would have included 15 medical practitioners including GPs, pathology, physiotherapy, dental and radiology in a single location, would no longer go ahead.

Cr Bob La Castra, who supported both proposals, said council needed to understand the original plans for the site had changed based on the needs of the community.

Originally, Nifsan had asked for 2500sq m of commercial space within the town centre.

"It is unrealistic to have large trucks making deliveries inside the town centre," said Cr La Castra.

"The problems that arose (with council) are not insurmountable."

Mark Grierson, Nifsan's general manager of developments, said two separate consultants found that the population in the catchment of Emerald Lakes was large enough to warrant these facilities.

"However council officers and councillors in their wisdom choose to ignore the research and appear that they know better than the professionals and the business community," he said.

Local MP Ros Bates, a resident of Emerald Lakes, said the area needed facilities like a medical precinct and supermarket.

"I would be living right next to the proposed Woolworths site and I still back it," she said.

A Woolworths spokesman said that while the company was looking at the Carrara Markets site, researched proved another centre was needed within the Emerald Lakes catchment.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
What a bad spot to propose the Woolworths! If anything, they should do an Easy-T style centre at the set of lights on Nerang Broadbeach road and bring the woolworths into the medical centre. I think that site is only planned as further residential development, but I think a commercial centre, backed up with some campus-style office blocks would be good here.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts