SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 356 Posts

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thread we can put stuff in about Rockhampton.

Rockhampton is Queensland’s 7th largest city with a population of around 80,000 people. It isn’t known for its growth but rather its beef and beef products.

Anyway feel free to add your own pictures and comments about Rockhampton.

Some pictures of Rocky.

jt

·
7,972 Posts
I haven't been to Rockhampton for close to 15yrs now, so I can't remember it much, but I'm always so surprised at the amount of old buildings that still exist, it looks fantastic. Its bizarre though, that this is one of the few cities in Qld that is actually losing people.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
and if you go up onto Mt Archer at night you can see the word HELL from the street lights on major roads and streets lol and that sums up Rocky quite well! :happy:

·
i've changed my mind
3,853 Posts
i've always refered to it as 'shanti town' cause thats exactly what you think of when you drive through it for the first time, reminds you of some south east asian shanti slum

·
Registered
77,003 Posts
Joe- the tallest structure in Rockhampton would be the 40m tall spires of St Josephs catholic cathedral
view in 62 showing the dominating spires.

storm over rocky

J barnets courthouse

The massive 210m chimney at Stanwell Pwer st ,some 22km west of rockhpt.

130m tall cooling towers

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cul, I think the building with the dome is the Customs House, it is a similar design to the one in Brisbane CBD.

The court house is a building set back behind it somewhere.

jt

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cul, I think the building with the dome is the Customs House, it is a similar design to the one in Brisbane CBD.

The court house is a building set back behind it somewhere.

jt

·
i've changed my mind
3,853 Posts
i think you'll find cul that the Queensland Rail State headquarters is the tallest building in Rocky, i cant remember how many storeys, just remember being amazed that there was an office building there! lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
at least 5 stories, I spent a week there on rail business on 5th floor.

That building is where the operations for most of the coal haulage is managed. This is a lucrative business which accounts for the majority of QR's profit.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Stanwell Power Station is huge, I used to live in Gracemere a long time ago and you could see the towers from miles away.

·
6,436 Posts
These hotels could be contenders for tallest building (although shorter than St Josephs)

Rockhampton Plaza Hotel

Mercure Inn Leichhardt

Country Comfort Rockhampton

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just dug some detail up about the Buildings in Rocky

Rockhampton Plaza Hotel
Built 1992
Height 25m
Floors 7

Mecure Inn
Built 1976
Height 26m
Floors 8

Country Comfort Inn
Built 1984
Height 28m
Floors 7

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
I stayed at the Country Comfort once, quite good, nice views of the Fitzroy river, infact its right across from the River. The Mall there is one of the nicest malls in Australia, Infact, its what Townsville should look at.

1 - 20 of 356 Posts