SkyscraperCity banner

3381 - 3400 of 3488 Posts

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Looks like it is actually doing something at the Museum itself. There looks to be work happening near the Stanley Place/Grey Street/Peel Street intersection - maybe to do with the intersection upgrade?

·
Premium Member
9,122 Posts
I drove down Grey St about an hour ago, there's a big crane and like nathandavid88 says it is on the museum side, but could be something to do with the intersection which is being worked on. There's also a smaller crane across the street nearby that I think could be something to do with the Metro project. It's on that little parcel of land that has Metro advertising on it.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ I'm not sure, but it is the only work in that area that I know of. Maybe the museum is getting aircon plant replaced at the same time?

I'll see if I can get down there later in the week to suss it out.

·
Registered
Tall building enthusiast
647 Posts
I've only just seen the 30 Merival St proposal now. Haha I can't believe there's a dog park on the podium.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I've never been to that area apart from the bus but it looks inviting now. Don't know what it was like before. Are the trains very noisy??

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ They're obviously noticeable, but I wouldn't consider them deafening or anything. Also, the noise only lasts for a few seconds and isn't constant like a general traffic bridge.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It is still very much a lipstick on a pig situation in there. There is nothing really enticing about hanging out there underneath a train overpass at all. Some greenery is nice I guess, but it needs alot more than that. It is a challenge, of course, and time and further local development will inform how the area evolves.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ This is just the landscaping - the full activation of the space is yet to come. There will be new F&B operators set to open in the adjacent buildings, including one from the people behind Burleigh Heads' Rick Shores and Little Valley, and a cafe or something in that little rotunda in the middle as well. The space has also been designed to accommodate live music, performances and events, so there will be that too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I work in the area, and Fish Lane is definitely now a well frequented F&B street. (it actually has been for years, the 5 sisters cafe for instance)

It's a mistake to assume you won't go to a pig-sty, with lipstick. People do. I've eaten in poky holes in Tokyo under the Ueno station arch, I've shopped in Glasgow Buchanan St under the station arch, people like activation of these spaces. Leaving them as out-door Urinals isn't actually helping. The lipstick, honestly applied, with some decent lighting, helps.

·
Premium Member
9,122 Posts
^^ I think you probably mean Argyle St in Glasgow geeohgeegeeoh. It goes under the Central Station tracks.

I like what they've done with Fish Lane, I hope it stays good. The surrounding area hasn't always had the best reputation, but with more units appearing, and more foot traffic, hopefully it will be a safe vibrant space.

3381 - 3400 of 3488 Posts