SkyscraperCity banner

3421 - 3440 of 3494 Posts

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
^^ The potential is definitely there to activate spaces like this and under the REX, without a doubt. That said, I think Queen's Wharf will be slightly different in that the main 'dwell areas' will be aligned to the spaces not directly under the REX, with the areas directly beneath it largely comprising of landscaped spaces designed to be passed through to get to the Landing/Resort. One main exception to this is the children's water play area - how they handle that space will be very interesting.

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Here are some more West Village shots that I took earlier this week, mainly aimed at checking out Metro Arts' new premises.

DSC-300021
by Nathan Murray, on Flickr

DSC-300020

DSC-300007

DSC-300008

DSC-300009

DSC-300011

DSC-300018

DSC-300019

DSC-300010

DSC-300013

DSC-300012

DSC-300014

DSC-300015

DSC-300017

DSC-300028

DSC-300029

·
Registered
349 Posts
The woolies in this one plus the one at montague markets. Are they quite close together or reckon they will be able to sufficiently service the area, without overlap?

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
The article below talks about the area being under serviced by supermakets and locals spending $81m a year buying groceries in surrounding areas so should be all good. Personally I'm looking forward to Harris Farm opening a flagship store.

Two West End Woolworths Set to Open in 2020 - First National Real Estate Metro - Buy, Sell, Real Estate, Property and Homes for Lease & Rent. West End, Brisbane, Wolloongabba (metrofn.com.au)
In 2018 there was an Aldi, and Coles in the old jack the slasher site. and an IGA on melbourne st and a woolies metro in grey st

In 2020, there is woolies on Montague Rd, open (full service). Aldi, Coles (refurbishment in progress) , IGA, the woolies metro above AND another at the QPAC corner, and another woolies full service in direct competition to Coles coming in West Village.

I think the market responded. Its probably over supplied.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
In 2018 there was an Aldi, and Coles in the old jack the slasher site. and an IGA on melbourne st and a woolies metro in grey st

In 2020, there is woolies on Montague Rd, open (full service). Aldi, Coles (refurbishment in progress) , IGA, the woolies metro above AND another at the QPAC corner, and another woolies full service in direct competition to Coles coming in West Village.

I think the market responded. Its probably over supplied.
Woolies Metro on Grey (Fish lane) is only new which a month or two old. IGA has been there for a while though. BI LO at The Markets West End was taken over by Coles and rebranded to a Coles and recently refurbished to a Coles standard. Aldi has been there for a while too. I think the area was under serviced by now looking well serviced for the short term.

·
24,244 Posts
For a population of 20,000 and a significant employment and visitor population, 7 supermarkets (large and small) seems about right. That also considers that Woolloongabba only has 1 supermarket and residents of the CBD south may make the trip across the river for bigger shops.

3421 - 3440 of 3494 Posts