SkyscraperCity banner

3441 - 3460 of 3495 Posts

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
For a population of 20,000 and a significant employment and visitor population, 7 supermarkets (large and small) seems about right. That also considers that Woolloongabba only has 1 supermarket and residents of the CBD south may make the trip across the river for bigger shops.
The Gabba is getting a Woolies/BWS at South City and a Woolies Metro up near Main Street at Kangaroo Point.

·
24,290 Posts
And considering Kangaroo Point and Woolloongabba have a combined population of over 13,000 people, it's still not a huge availability of supermarkets, especially with the numbers of workers in these suburbs.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
^^ They are 1.4km apart as the crow flies, increasing to ~1.7km when following roads. While that sounds fairly close, they will service very different sections of West End, so they should co-exist fine.
We have a Woolies Metro and large Woolies at Teneriffe/Newstead which are closer and doing very well. I reckon the West End ones will be fine.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
New DA for 281-297 Montague Rd. A005608649

The design proposes two 5 green star rated 24 level buildings with roof terrace’s and a basement of 5 levels proposed. The north Tower 1 contains 200 apartments and the south Tower 2 contains 270 apartments, both with a mix of 1 Beds, 2 Beds, 3 Beds and penthouse suites with retail/ food and beverage on ground.

Replaces an existing project with 5 x 6-12 floor resi

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think that tower could turn out pretty ugly there’s a lot going on with It, different angles everywhere, different overhangs shapes and curve. But have still produced a wall of balconies. Reminds me of the car Homer Simpson designed in the simpsons.

Really the only thing which will save it is if the planting looks as good as the render, which i doubt.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
This would be by far the tallest building in this part of West End. The nearby Treehouse is 12 levels I think vs 24 floors here.

The nearest building with a similar height I think is West Village and that's almost on the edge of the South Brisbane cluster so doesn't stick out as much as this will.

The activation on Montague these days is great.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
New DA for 281-297 Montague Rd. A005608649

The design proposes two 5 green star rated 24 level buildings with roof terrace’s and a basement of 5 levels proposed. The north Tower 1 contains 200 apartments and the south Tower 2 contains 270 apartments, both with a mix of 1 Beds, 2 Beds, 3 Beds and penthouse suites with retail/ food and beverage on ground.

View attachment 810923

View attachment 810922

Replaces an existing project with 5 x 6-12 floor resi
This has also been published in the media

In Qld--->New $285m apartment complex planned for West End - InQueensland

·
Registered
357 Posts
24 floor towers this close to the river in a region which has nothing over 15? This is f**ked.

This is a-social design. Its completely inappropriate for the setting. Its "oh, but we're legal for the density so we will greenwash the space, give you a park and make a motza on the two towers"

·
Registered
Tall building enthusiast
655 Posts
24 floor towers this close to the river in a region which has nothing over 15? This is f**ked.

This is a-social design. Its completely inappropriate for the setting. Its "oh, but we're legal for the density so we will greenwash the space, give you a park and make a motza on the two towers"
Why's it too big / inappropriate for the area? I'm curious since I'm not well versed in West End.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Why's it too big / inappropriate for the area? I'm curious since I'm not well versed in West End.
Go into the Brisbane development 3d rendered map. Nothing inside 500m circle of that site is greater than 15 and most are either 2 or under 12. So its taken the cbd south Heights from merivale, Cornelia and latterly west village at mollison St (about which there was a shitstorm, jacquie trad forced it though on a call-in which may account for why she is the ex local rep)

So it punches height by 50% or more half a kilometre further out. Not needed. The larger developments approved in the surroundings are at 15 peak. Its 10 f**king floors higher. That's just being pushy.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Go into the Brisbane development 3d rendered map. Nothing inside 500m circle of that site is greater than 15 and most are either 2 or under 12. So its taken the cbd south Heights from merivale, Cornelia and latterly west village at mollison St (about which there was a shitstorm, jacquie trad forced it though on a call-in which may account for why she is the ex local rep)

So it punches height by 50% or more half a kilometre further out. Not needed. The larger developments approved in the surroundings are at 15 peak. Its 10 f**king floors higher. That's just being pushy.

Brisbane is heading into an under supply of apartment dwellings again. I don't mind a few mid rise towers here and there. It won't look out of place as this one is built on lower ground and will not be any taller than the recently built building on Cordelia and Boundary Street.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
will not be any taller than the recently built building on Cordelia and Boundary Street.
Yeah, but the the point is that this is much further out. It is in no way connected to the cluster from Mollison Street / Boundary Street towards the city.

I'm not against this development - but it is very very high for the area.

It reminds me of the way The Milton sticks out on the other side of the river - that can be seen from everywhere because it's the biggest building in the area by a long way.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Looking more like a city than a suburb now - South Brisbane City -
Where on the chase to beat North Sydney, Chatswood and Parramatta. Seeing as it's so close to our CBD maybe we should just try and beat Melbourne's Southbank do you think? Or maybe we could get The Valley to compete with Melbourne's Southbank? How's the height restrictions in The Valley compare with West End?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Where on the chase to beat North Sydney, Chatswood and Parramatta. Seeing as it's so close to our CBD maybe we should just try and beat Melbourne's Southbank do you think? Or maybe we could get The Valley to compete with Melbourne's Southbank? How's the height restrictions in The Valley compare with West End?
Australia 108 Tower 2 in Southbank, Brisbane and good luck airports Brisbane

3441 - 3460 of 3495 Posts