SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 382 Posts

·
Ach, sis man!
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't know where to put this thread, in the Brisbane or Gold Coast or what. Mods can move.

There are a few developments up on the Sunshine Coast that we haven't heard about.

Here are a few I've added to ss.com

Platinum Apartments - Maroochydore

m1 - Maroochydore

The Observatory - Caloundra Under Construction

Ramada Pelican Waters - Caloundra

Aurora - Maroochydore Under Construction

·
Registered
295 Posts
cool, I hadn't seen a rendering of platinum yet, so I liked that. I had a look at ss.com, and think the list is now a lot closer to the true list of skyscrapers up there.

Also with the updated stats, the current QLD skyscraper total is (hope I haven't forgotten any towns):

Gold Coast 212
Brisbane 182
SS Coast 12
Cairns 5
Townsville 4
Toowoomba 2
Total: 417

and for Victoria it is:

Melbourne 413
Total: 4 less than QLD

hip hip hooray :)

·
6,400 Posts
With any luck Townsville will be moving up to 5 soon. The PJ Group have proposed a 12 story apartment tower for cnr of Dibbs and Palmer St. It's undergoing public consultation at the moment- don't know much about it though it should become the tallest for South Townsville and will be Townsville's first skyscraper (12 st +) in 14 years.

I might do a post to update ya on things that are happening up here soon - at least 6 of 6 stories + under construction or planned and huge CBD developments in the pipeline.

·
Ach, sis man!
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oriolus said:
With any luck Townsville will be moving up to 5 soon. The PJ Group have proposed a 12 story apartment tower for cnr of Dibbs and Palmer St. It's undergoing public consultation at the moment- don't know much about it though it should become the tallest for South Townsville and will be Townsville's first skyscraper (12 st +) in 14 years.
Hey thats cool, do you know what the towers name is going to be? The address?

Is PJ Group the full developer name? I could add it to ss.com if I could find some more info on it.

·
Registered
72,866 Posts
good stuff orodreth! some beauties there. i wonder when Sunshine Coast will get its first 30st/90m scraper? the tallest so far is the 18storey/60m Outrigger resort at Mooloolaba.Its spires are 67m high.

Thomas- Ive added a futher 11 skyscrapers to ss.com. I went through my records and checked on ss.com they hadent been added yet. I also contacted Caloundra Council for some heights. It was quite easy as they have height controls for most areas. Some are 36m/40m/45m and 50m zones.

skyscraper count for Sunshine Coast
total-37
existing-23
planned-10
uc-4

cheers

·
Registered
72,866 Posts
jellyman said:
cool, I hadn't seen a rendering of platinum yet, so I liked that. I had a look at ss.com, and think the list is now a lot closer to the true list of skyscrapers up there.

Also with the updated stats, the current QLD skyscraper total is (hope I haven't forgotten any towns):

Gold Coast 212
Brisbane 182
SS Coast 12
Cairns 5
Townsville 4
Toowoomba 2
Total: 417

and for Victoria it is:

Melbourne 413
Total: 4 less than QLD

hip hip hooray :)
exsiting scrapers now for Sunshine coast is 23 (up from 12), thus new total for QLD=428.
the combined total for QLD (incl uc/planned) = 549
and Victoria= 556.
QLD require just 7 more to surpass its southern sister city! :D

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
CULWULLA said:
exsiting scrapers now for Sunshine coast is 23 (up from 12), thus new total for QLD=428.
the combined total for QLD (incl uc/planned) = 549
and Victoria= 556.
QLD require just 7 more to surpass its southern sister city! :D
Don’t forget Hamilton Island. You can add another 5 towers. 4 are pictured below.

I thought it was a given that we had more buildings than Victorian anyway?
jt

·
Ach, sis man!
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CULWULLA said:
good stuff orodreth! some beauties there. i wonder when
Thomas- Ive added a futher 11 skyscrapers to ss.com. I went through my records and checked on ss.com they hadent been added yet. I also contacted Caloundra Council for some heights. It was quite easy as they have height controls for most areas. Some are 36m/40m/45m and 50m zones.

skyscraper count for Sunshine Coast
total-37
existing-23
planned-10
uc-4

cheers
Hey thats awesome. Sunshine Coast was badly represented on SS.com. This makes it better. Also this thread was moved to Gold Coast?? Even tho its in the opposite directions.... hmmm ok :?

·
6,400 Posts
Orodreth said:
Hey thats cool, do you know what the towers name is going to be? The address?

Is PJ Group the full developer name? I could add it to ss.com if I could find some more info on it.
All I've heard about this development is from an article in the Townsville Bulletin. There are development app signs at the site - I'll go have a look at the application if I get time. The address is cnr of Dibbs & Palmer Sts, South Townsville.

TB says it is a partnership between the PJ Group (looked them up on Google but all I got was a load of stuff about group sex!) & M2 Property Development (again appear to have no web site). It will be 104 apartments as well as shops, restaurant and conference facilities I think. But no name.

·
Registered
72,866 Posts
JayT said:
Don’t forget Hamilton Island. You can add another 5 towers. 4 are pictured below.

I thought it was a given that we had more buildings than Victorian anyway?
jt
yeah i added them last year. Hamilton island has its own section on ss.com

·
Registered
295 Posts
The sunshine coast section in ss.com is messed up. Aspect A and B, Cilento, Northbridge Apartments and probably others are repeated. There are 37 buildings listed, but the front page says that there are 26 buildings total.

Also, I think there is one skyscraper in Logan City. I think its 14 stories, a hotel, and you can see it from the pacific motorway right in the densest part of town.

Also I drove to Redcliffe on the weekend, and was surprised to see a nice cluster of half a dozen or so highrises, some looking very new, and another under construction. They look like they are all under 12 stories though, more like 8 or so.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
An interesting one in the future - but none over 10 stories I don't think.

My Planning field trip to the Gold Coast was amazing - I never new such suburbs existed!!! Robina was fantastic and there are heaps of office buildings under construction as well as some medium density residential around the railway station. There is also a medical district and a new hospital.

Coomera was the big eye opener!!!!
175,000 people are planned to live there in 15 years with high density around the railway station. Many blocks of highrise apartents are proposed for Coomera CBD around the station and the CBD itself will be as large as Brisbane's!!! Medium and low density will surround the CBD as well as certain industrial precincts. The current Marine precinct is only 5 years old and is amazing.

It is well worth a look if anyone is down there. The land that Coomera sits on is owned jointly by the Maquaurie Bank and Sunland.

jt

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
CULWULLA said:
good stuff orodreth! some beauties there. i wonder when Sunshine Coast will get its first 30st/90m scraper? the tallest so far is the 18storey/60m Outrigger resort at Mooloolaba.Its spires are 67m high.
Probably never. Even the developers up there don't seem particularly keen on height! I was talking to a sales rep for Juniper in Mooloolaba a couple of weeks ago and she said that Outrigger will be the highest for Mooloolaba and indicated that she didn't think that was a bad thing. They were able to build Outrigger to that height because it is set such a long way back from the road along the beach.

The Sunshine Coast locals are very much anti Gold Coast and its skyscrapers.

The height controls are now very strict. The sales rep also told me that a strip of old shops in a prime position near the surf club are owned by Peter Forrester (formerly part of FKP) and that his latest plans had just been knocked back because the building exceeded the height limit in that area. He considers that unless he can exceed the height limit its not worth building .

·
Ach, sis man!
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jellyman said:
The sunshine coast section in ss.com is messed up. Aspect A and B, Cilento, Northbridge Apartments and probably others are repeated. There are 37 buildings listed, but the front page says that there are 26 buildings total.
How is it messed up? With the buildings you say its repeated? I'm the editor, aswell as Culwulla. I can't see where they are repeated.

It says for Sunshine Coast

37 (all status types)
23 (completed)

Meaning there are 37 buildings all together, but only 23 have been completed, the remaining are in the proposed/approved/under construction status.

·
Ach, sis man!
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jellyman said:
Also, I think there is one skyscraper in Logan City. I think its 14 stories, a hotel, and you can see it from the pacific motorway right in the densest part of town.
This is Springwood Tower you are speaking about. It is only 10 stories

·
Registered
295 Posts
Recent expansion plans for Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore included 4 x 25 story towers, which was knocked back by council. Maybe once they build enough 12 story buildings they won't care so much if the height limits are increased. I think 10 years ago the height limit was 6 stories or less basically everywhere except for blocks with preexisting approval for previous higher limits. I think the Outrigger hotel was built becuase they were able to take advantage of a brief period during which height limits in selected areas was 17 story.

I have mixed opinions on the issue. I think the locals have raving fanatical NIMBY tendancies. But I don't think I would want the gold coast replicated up there, with wall to wall highrise. I remember the huge outcry against having a coles in Maleny (hinterland), I laughed at the reports on the news. Some time after I went up there for a visit. When I was reminded of how beautiful the area was, I could start to sympathise a bit more.

I think there may be good arguments for mid density development vs very high density, as increasing the overall density of an urban area probably depends more on the amount of medium, and even the density level of the light residential (500 sq-m block or 700 sq-m?). For instance most European cities are more dense than American cities, but have many less skyscrapers. Paris achieves huge residential densities in a city center area limited to 8 stories. Highrises are built in three satellite centers.

I think some or preferably most sections of coast line should have no highrises. I would not be against concentrations of true skyscrapers (above 30 stories) if planned carefully, and not right on top of prime public open space.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Double towers plan lifts the Coast high-rise bar
20 storeys bid for CBD

THE owners of the Big Top Shopping Centre are set to present two alternatives for the site's redevelopment, including their preferred option , to build two 20-storey towers.
The second option would see at least four 10-storey towers built, a design which would be more compliant with the town plan, but which would significantly reduce open public space the project would create.
Mayor Joe Natoli said he had discussed the development with Reeds.
He acknowledged that approving 20 storeys would set "all sorts of dangerous precedents''.
At the same time, however, he said he could see the advantages of taller buildings and more open space.
Any amendment to the planning scheme, however, would be noted by other developers and almost certainly be taken into account in future court decisions.
Lend Lease, the manager of Sunshine Plaza, has already had its bid to include five 20-storey towers in the Plaza master plan rejected by the council.
While many residents have said they do not want another Gold Coast built here, a look at the skyline there reveals dozens of building which are 30 to 40 storeys high, while Q1 will be the world's tallest residential tower at 78 storeys.

full article: http://www.thedaily.com.au

I am intrigued to see a newspaper article cautiously close to being in favour of higher buildings on the ss coast. However I can imagine there might be some nasty letters to the editor published in the next few days...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Work crew moves onto Oceans site
$100m resort continues esplanade's transformation
THE ever-changing face of the Mooloolaba Esplanade is set to undergo another transformation, with demolition crews moving in to make way for the latest multi-million-dollar beachfront resort.
Juniper Group's $100 million Oceans development will soon begin to take shape on the old post office site , the final "missing piece'' on the nothern end of the esplanade.
Juniper marketing manager, David Kortlang, said the 10storey resort was another important milestone in the evolution of the Esplanade into a "world-class tourism and lifestyle precinct''.

http://www.thedaily.com.au

3 posts in a row. Guess I care more than everyone else about ss coast development lol.

·
Registered
72,866 Posts
good stuff jelly! i appreciate your posts! yeah ithink the height limit should be approx 12-15storeys. no higher.leave tall ones for Surfers.
cheers

·
Registered
295 Posts
Council plan allows for seven-storey buildings in residential area near Kawana shops

Caloundra City division four councillor Andrew Champion said while the draft plan applied to the whole city there were specific provisions that related to properties in Buddina, adjacent to Kawana Shoppingworld, including Pacific Boulevard, Illuka Avenue, Lowanna Drive and Bermagui Crescent.
"In this area, the draft plan is seeking to encourage redevelopment for multi-unit and mixed use residential uses on the proviso that individual properties, if sold, are amalgamated into larger parcels before this can take place,'' Mr Champion said. "The provision also allows for an increase in building heights of up to about seven storeys (or 21 metres) on certain sites.''

article also talks about retirees being worried about being forced out of their homes.

1 - 20 of 382 Posts