SkyscraperCity banner

5021 - 5040 of 5123 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Be nice if whoever owns/runs Valley Metro could also take over McWhirters retail and incorporate it into one larger shopping precinct. McWhirters badly needs some assistance here.

·
Registered
350 Posts
McWhirters to me, is an object lesson in why developments need an anchor tenant. It's perfect for 'I need to be here once in a blue moon' shops, and therefore has a splurge on each 10 year refit/repurpose, and dies again once your blue moon moment passes. If they had something unmissable with repeat presence, I think it would have more life. hence, the need for an anchor tenant.

its the valley: either it's a fantastic deli, or din tai fung, or a major brewhouse. If it becomes another mall of failed 'my first shop' experiments, it's dead-on-arrival. Shame the new farm deli fire was at the wrong stage: they'd have been perfect as an anchor.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Even without a change of ownership, the refurbishment of Valley Metro should have a positive flow-on effect for McWhirters, both from a potential increase of walkthrough traffic from people using the McWhirters bridge to get across to VM, and maybe also from people doing their grocery shopping at Woolies who then go on to get their fruit & veg and meat/deli from the traders in McWhirters.

McWhirters is currently getting its mismatched timber floors sanded down and polished in preparation, I believe, for an uptick in foot traffic relating to Valley Metro. I'm hoping that after they sand the floors that they do something about this:

20201124_160835.jpg

The lower ground level is as terrible as ever, and with the Cash Converters currently "closed for refurbishment", it is completely empty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
McWhirters to me, is an object lesson in why developments need an anchor tenant. It's perfect for 'I need to be here once in a blue moon' shops, and therefore has a splurge on each 10 year refit/repurpose, and dies again once your blue moon moment passes. If they had something unmissable with repeat presence, I think it would have more life. hence, the need for an anchor tenant.

its the valley: either it's a fantastic deli, or din tai fung, or a major brewhouse. If it becomes another mall of failed 'my first shop' experiments, it's dead-on-arrival. Shame the new farm deli fire was at the wrong stage: they'd have been perfect as an anchor.
Din Tai Fung needs to establish its first Brisbane store at McWhirters. Din Tai Fung itself would draw people from all over South East Queensland. After having it overseas, it is a pity that the closest one to here is in Chatswood, Sydney. However, Din Tai Fung will not be able to be the sole anchor, there will need to be others as well.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
As sturdy as these steel poles look ( I hope they are solid steel, not hollow!), it's amazing to think of the weight they will have to hold from the building above.

I looked back through my old photos for a reminder of what the Valley Metro food court was like and found these ones from 2007. The windows and higher ceiling do seem to make a big improvement.

I'm not an architect, but you seem to see this a lot lately. I may not have the terms right, but they have removed the drop ceiling, thus exposing the plenum space?

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
^^ I'm not sure whether it is purely an aesthetic choice (wanting a more industrial look), a practical choice (quicker/easier/cheaper) or a combination of both, but you are right in it being used more and more. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the before and after shots in this case show.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
As sturdy as these steel poles look ( I hope they are solid steel, not hollow!), it's amazing to think of the weight they will have to hold from the building above.

I looked back through my old photos for a reminder of what the Valley Metro food court was like and found these ones from 2007. The windows and higher ceiling do seem to make a big improvement.

I'm not an architect, but you seem to see this a lot lately. I may not have the terms right, but they have removed the drop ceiling, thus exposing the plenum space?

^^ I'm not sure whether it is purely an aesthetic choice (wanting a more industrial look), a practical choice (quicker/easier/cheaper) or a combination of both, but you are right in it being used more and more. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the before and after shots in this case show.
Breaking---> Valley Metro Changes

^^Cinemas scrapped

Thought that would be the case after checking the place out a week ago. I couldn't find any indication of cinemas being built nor the second level from the original plans.

Woolies and other retail will be opening in March 2021.

It makes sense re cinemas not going ahead. It's a cut throat declining business at the moment. People tend to prefer streaming services over Cinemas. The supermarket, discount department store, bar, cafe sectors and casual dining will continue to grow despite the Covid setbacks

I wonder if there is an option for a second level in the future? Or will they let that slide?

·
23,969 Posts
Interesting that there's been no application submitted yet.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I'm not at all surprised, given the state of the cinema market at present. It's a shame, but there's still the New Farm Cinemas up the road.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Breaking---> Valley Metro Changes

^^Cinemas scrapped

Thought that would be the case after checking the place out a week ago. I couldn't find any indication of cinemas being built nor the second level from the original plans.

Woolies and other retail will be opening in March 2021.

It makes sense re cinemas not going ahead. It's a cut throat declining business at the moment. People tend to prefer streaming services over Cinemas. The supermarket, discount department store, bar, cafe sectors and casual dining will continue to grow despite the Covid setbacks

I wonder if there is an option for a second level in the future? Or will they let that slide?
7 eleven is gearing up to be open once again. It's likely to be the new format, as I had a sneak peak and there is lots of black going up inside.

5021 - 5040 of 5123 Posts