SkyscraperCity banner

5041 - 5060 of 5123 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hopefully a pedestrian crossing with signals is installed as part of any future development proposal here. People cross frequently and dangerously here and apartments may exacerbate that.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ It will be - it's heritage listed and is required to be preserved. I'm more commenting on it's current state - boarded up and probably still on temporary stumps after being moved around the site several times.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Breaking---> Valley Metro Changes

^^Cinemas scrapped

Thought that would be the case after checking the place out a week ago. I couldn't find any indication of cinemas being built nor the second level from the original plans.

Woolies and other retail will be opening in March 2021.

It makes sense re cinemas not going ahead. It's a cut throat declining business at the moment. People tend to prefer streaming services over Cinemas. The supermarket, discount department store, bar, cafe sectors and casual dining will continue to grow despite the Covid setbacks

I wonder if there is an option for a second level in the future? Or will they let that slide?
There are a lot of cold feet in the cinema market at present due to lack of new blockbusters and Disney streaming Mulan on Disney+ (even though it failed miserably for the extra charges compared to box office takings). Cinema's a very heavy and expensive to build, so provided they have engineered the cinema box now, it shouldn't be too hard to fill in later.

·
New Urbanist
5,487 Posts
^^ Before covid though the cinema industry was booming, i think the nostalgia of movies will continue on as people are social creatures that like to get out of the house.

·
Registered
350 Posts
^^ Before covid though the cinema industry was booming, i think the nostalgia of movies will continue on as people are social creatures that like to get out of the house.
I'm 50/50 on this one. Since cinema shrunk to the same size as affordable hi-definition TVs its kind of moot how many want to come back. I do, but I don't want bigger than 55" in my living room. I'm told a shedload of people tooled up to 75" and are not coming back. They own la-zee-boys and have a popcorn machine at home.

In terms of land-use, in a TOD or similar, a cinema complex (eg at Coorparoo Myer) is a good deal: you can't put resi that close to the noisy street, and you won't get complaints from Resi close to the cinema if you do this right, and the parking thing is worked out by the TOD.

If I owned Queen St Mall I'd be pretty bloody worried the foot traffic to cinema and other entertainment might not come back. I wouldn't want to own a CBD cinema, and I notice Hillsong is hanging on to its cinema-is-a-church-now model in Brisbane, and probably elsewhere too (Isn't a huge theatre close to flinders st station in Melbourne a gospel revival hall?)

But I do think nostalgia for shared experience is real. Palace is selling pricey tickets to Nick Cave sort-of-not-very-live-and-exclusive and Opera, and they're selling well. Art house is selling well. People like to sip wine ostentatiously in front of the peasants with their minties.

I did 'gold class' once. Frankly, pressing that slave button is really embarrassing. I'd rather get up and get my own nut assortment thanks.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
New DA 447 GREGORY TCE SPRING HILL #A005608964

2x15 floor mixed-use

Building A: 15 Storeys and 55 - 57.5m Building B: 15 storeys and 57m Gross Floor Area / Yield
• 113 multiple dwelling units
• 120 short-term accommodation rooms
• Hotel dining / food and drink outlet – 200m2
• Function facility – 323m2

Waiting for docs

·
Registered
952 Posts
A couple of people remarked that the movie business was booming before Covid? Is that really true? I don't follow the industry nor the figues (official figures would not be reliable or believable anyway), but my admittedly flippant observation is that the movie business, like legacy media, was prior to Covid, and is now, in even more radical decline. I have not opened a Brisbane Times nor Courier Mail article in months, nor have I watched a recently made movie. All of today's content is merely SJW/feminist screed and frankly, unreadable nor watchable. As for Covid and it's potentially negative effects on the economy and society generally, my sense is that we aint seen nothin yet, unless governments' spending can last indefinitely...

5041 - 5060 of 5123 Posts