SkyscraperCity banner

361 - 380 of 1225 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Both Cairns and Townsville cities are growing faster
How would this development compare ( in size and $)to the recent Stockland redevelopment at Townsville?
As much as i want to see this go ahead, in the back of my mind it does seem very large and expensive for Toowoomba. Does QIC know something the general public doesn't? They seem very commited to it.

·
i've changed my mind
3,771 Posts
How would this development compare ( in size and $)to the recent Stockland redevelopment at Townsville?
As much as i want to see this go ahead, in the back of my mind it does seem very large and expensive for Toowoomba. Does QIC know something the general public doesn't? They seem very commited to it.
well they already own grandcentral... with this development they would basically have 100% monopoly on retail in the cbd.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
looks like the Masters development in Toowoomba has hit some trouble.

source

MAJOR WIN: Citilife senior pastor Jonathan Oastler celebrates the decision by the Planning and Environment Court.
Dave Noonan

A COMMUNITY church and school have won a major court battle over Toowoomba Regional Council's approval of a hardware store development in Middle Ridge.
The Planning and Environment Court yesterday ruled the approval was "of no force or effect".
In 2009, McNab applied to Toowoomba Regional Council to develop a block of land next door to the Christian Outreach College and Citilife Church which are both owned by Christian Outreach Centre.
Those plans were approved.
But last year, McNab lodged new plans that moved the entrance to the site and the building's loading dock to the boundary the proposed development shared with the Christian Outreach College.
Christian Outreach Centre's objections to the changed plans were ignored by Toowoomba Regional Council and the new development was approved.
Judge David Searles yesterday ruled that no reasonable council would have decided that the changes to the plans could have been approved without allowing for objections from the community.
Citilife senior pastor Jonathan Oastler said the church and school had always stood firm in their belief that council's decision was "unreasonable and illegal".
"We hope that council will in the future make decisions in a more consultative way with the community it is there to serve," he said.
Mr Oastler said Christian Outreach Centre was not anti-development.
"However, any development needs to be ethical and done in a reasonable way to build community," he said.
McNab managing director Michael McNab said the company was reviewing the decision of the court and considering its options.
Mr Oastler told The Chronicle he understood that construction on the site would have to stop immediately until new plans were lodged and approved.
Works continued yesterday afternoon and McNab would not comment on Mr Oastler's claim.
A Toowoomba Regional Council spokesman said McNab could continue with the development as per the original approval or lodge a new application.
"Council is often caught between a rock and a hard place balancing the business community's planned developments and the benefits they provide to the wider region with the expectations of other segments of the community," he said.
"Council can sometimes be criticised for following procedures which extend the time for development applications to be determined; however this case demonstrates that if council does not follow the processes laid out in state legislation to the precise letter, the decision may be void, requiring the application to be made all over again."

·
Registered
361 Posts
from www.thechronicle.com.au

This should be great for Toowoomba. Adding 30000 square metres to the combined size of Gardentown and Grand Central will make this a very large shopping centre, about 88,000 sqm by my calculations. A bit bigger than Logan Hyperdome.

Very exciting!
That is actually exciting. Gardentown is such an eyesore - this render looks so much better. The other thing I like about the proposal to join Gardentown and Grand Central is that it integrates Grand Central with the CBD more = which can onyl be a good thing for CBD businesses.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
^^ I'm looking forward to seeing how they integrate the connecting bridge with the creek and train line that pass underneath.
Some sort of glass floor or viewing platform would be cool. Provision for a possible future train station would be forward thinking.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
from www.thechronicle.com.au

New centre points to 400 extra jobs

25th April 2012 2:00 AM

SHOPPING DELIGHT: An artist’s impression of Northpoint Shopping Centre where Coles has been confirmed as a major tenant.
Contributed

TOOWOOMBA'S newest large-scale retail development has received final approval and within 18 months will become a hub for 400 new jobs.

Northpoint Shopping Centre will be located at the intersection of North and Ruthven Sts on a site developer Ian Knox secured in November, 2010.
Clearing of the site should start within a month and the $25 million centre is planned to open by the end of 2013.
The 17,430 square metre retail development will be anchored by a Coles supermarket which only this week committed to the centre.
It will feature fast food outlets, restaurants, offices, a pharmacy and a liquor outlet.
A medical centre has also been proposed.
L.J. Hooker Commercial principal Mike Stewart said Northpoint Shopping Centre would fill a void and breathe new life into Toowoomba's northern suburbs.
"That northern corridor is one part of the city that is really under-serviced at the moment," he said.
"There hasn't been a focal point, but this is it.
"We believe this is going to generate truckloads of opportunity."
Mr Stewart said he expected the shopping centre to trigger a series of new developments in the area.
"A lot of Toowoomba's future growth is going to be focussed on the northern corridor simply because there is room to grow," he said.
"This is just step one."

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hardly surprising really...
source

Bypass pushed back by budget

Callum Bentley
Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:35

ANY hope for the construction of the Toowoomba Range Bypass in the immediate future was quashed last night after the much needed project was ignored in the Federal Budget.

The bypass was cast aside for a loosely promised duplication of the Pacific Highway worth $7.1 billion, half of which would have to be payed for by the New South Wales State Government for the project to go ahead.

Federal Member for Groom Ian Macfarlane said the proposed budget was "extremely confused".

"The alleged increase in infrastructure funding is nothing more than smoke and mirrors," he said.

"There's actually been a significant cut in road funding and there won't be enough money to maintain the major roads around our region let alone upgrade them."

The Queensland Government's application for $4 million of funding from the Regional Infrastructure Fund to carry out detailed technical design, cost estimates and traffic modelling of the Range Bypass as part of the Federal budget were also ignored.

Member for Toowoomba North Trevor Watts said the fact that funding for a Toowoomba Bypass case study was not successful goes to show the Federal Government's feeling towards the region.

"It effectively shows that Queensland is closed as far as the Federal Government is concerned," Mr Watts said.

"It is the number one infrastructure project and if they can't come to the party with $4 million for a case study it shows pretty clearly the government's feeling towards the people of Toowoomba."

Toowoomba Regional Council mayor-elect Paul Antonio said the neglect of the major infrastructure project was not surprising.

"The Toowoomba Bypass is critical and we are going to need something very significant to happen for it to get the attention it needs," he said.

"Realistically, I can't see anything doing that until the bypass again becomes a focal point during the upcoming Federal Election."

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
source
Sales spark need for office space

John Farmer
Monday, May 14, 2012 6:25
Share on emailShare on facebookShare on twitter
OFFICE space is proving hot property in Toowoomba at the moment with sales at record levels.

Colliers International has sold $15 million worth of office buildings in the past eight weeks, and director Markus Eames said the market was only at the "tipping point".

Mr Eames said good quality, A-grade vacant office space was proving too good for investors to resist.

"We're setting new benchmarks," he said.

He expects as more industry comes to Toowoomba to be closer to the Surat Basin, demand will only increase.

"We haven't got a mining boom, we've got mining growth," Mr Eames said.

"It's steady growth without the ebb and flow."

Colliers' sales include the Pechey St headquarters of FK Gardner and Sons, which is relocating to a new building next year, and the offices at the intersection of Margaret and Hume Sts.

Mr Eames said he expected the majority of available properties to be snapped up within the next 18 months.

Then he believes Toowoomba will see a spike in office development.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Source

Toowoomba poised for major boom

TOOWOOMBA is on the cusp of becoming Australia's premier manufacturing and mining services hub with hundreds of millions of investment dollars earmarked for the city.

The jewel in the crown is the Charlton-Wellcamp Industrial Estate located 10 kilometres to the west of the city.

Spanning more than 1500ha, the estate is attracting some of the biggest companies from around Australia and the world that are all eager to call Toowoomba home.

Companies are clambering over themselves to get the best sites on the estate and the roll call reads like a who's who of the business world.

F.K. Gardner and Sons development manager Dallas Hunter said the message was simple but clear - Toowoomba was now open for business.

"There is no doubt that what is happening at Charlton-Wellcamp is by far the biggest business and investment development opportunity Toowoomba has seen for more than a decade," Mr Hunter said.

"The sheer scale is absolutely mind-blowing," he said.

F.K. Gardner and Sons own and operate Witmack Industrial Park which covers 80ha of the estate.

"We have been blown away by the response from companies that want to invest and base themselves here," Mr Hunter said.

"What initially started as a 10-year project for us will be achieved in less than two years.

"We already have two tenants in the construction phase with a further four well-known companies due to announce their plans within the coming weeks.

"We are in initial talks with an iconic multi-national company that, if successful, will place Toowoomba firmly on the map as the place to conduct business.

"We believe that over the next two years more than $250 million worth of investment will flow through Witmack Industrial Park," he said.

Mr Hunter said the level of interest shown in the Charlton-Wellcamp Industrial Estate by big business was staggering, especially from the manufacturing industry.

"One of the most pleasing aspects is that a good proportion of companies setting up here are large scale manufacturers," Mr Hunter said.

"That is unique given the state of the manufacturing industry elsewhere in the country.

"It is great to see the industry making a comeback and choosing to call Toowoomba home.

"If the investment continues at its current rate we are talking about more than 1000 new jobs within the next two years alone," he said.

Mr Hunter said the city's former reputation as a difficult place to do business was changing dramatically.

"Toowoomba is now being viewed by large scale national and international companies as a desirable place to invest," Mr Hunter said.

"I am extremely confident now that under the new Toowoomba Regional Council regime the investment dollars will flow into the city and the region like never before," he said.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Does anyone know if the proposed Grand Central / Gardentown development is going ahead? I was in Grand Central this morning an there were a lot of empty shops, it doesn't seem logical that they would expand when occupancy isn't near 100%. Gardentown was also dead, but it usually is from what I hear. Is that correct? I had a look at the whole area where they are proposing the development and it is huge. Would be great to see it go ahead. However that would be the final death for other retail on Ruthven st etc. I guess you have to weigh up the good with the bad.

Also I noticed that the Burke and Wills hotel has a 'major refurbishment commencing soon'. With a bit of luck, you fellas may have 6 stories of scaff in town soon :) Would be good to see some action.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hope you didn't get blown away while you were in town.:lol:I haven't heard anything about Grand Central since the DA was lodged in March. I assume there'll be some sort of community consultation period? You're right about the empty shops, though.

I wonder if "major refurb" will extend to the exterior of the B&W hotel? Might have to venture downtown to have a look.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Haha yeah, I actually copped a mini twister (whirlwind) when I was sitting outside a shop waiting for the GF. Couldn't believe how gusty it was. I did a bit of a count in grand central and I found 6 empty shopfronts. Some of those might have tenancies already though I guess.

The outside of the B&W building looks pretty drab, if they are going to refurb the inside I reckon they will surely do the outside. Even new rails an a lick of paint would do it wonders. I wander what sort of time period 'soon' is? Could be days or months. I hope they refurb the outside, the building has nice looking proportions; could look really quite swanky if they do it up :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
source
Masters site at standstill
John Farmer
Friday, June 8, 2012 6:27

Works on the new Masters Home Improvement Store have been on hold since a court decision in April.

TOOLS remain shelved at the part-finished hardware mega-store development on Hume St in Middle Ridge.

The McNab-led project is set to become home to a Masters Home Improvement store, a franchise owned by Woolworths and designed to compete with Bunnings Hardware.

But works were abruptly shut down in April when the Planning and Environment Court ruled that Toowoomba Regional Council's approval of the project was invalid.

The court case was instigated by the Christian Outreach Centre which owns the Christian Outreach College and Citilife Church next to the construction site.

At the moment, only a skeleton crew of workers remain on the site.

The size of the workforce pales in comparison to that which was in place when construction started late last year.

It is understood McNab must resubmit its development application and have it approved by Toowoomba Regional Council before works can recommence.

The company was unavailable for comment yesterday.

·
NICE HAT.....
386 Posts
I like the design. I'm assuming the design is for where the old nab building is on the corner of russell and ruthven streets?

361 - 380 of 1225 Posts