SkyscraperCity banner

381 - 400 of 1225 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. It leads me to think that this is a scrapped idea as the old NAB building has been bought by Lifeline to consolidate their operations.

Last time i looked, a few weeks ago, the interior was being refitted for it's new life. I wonder if they'll refresh the exterior?

It's nice to see something new open on the northern end of the CBD, but i'm a bit worried about the types of business gathering around that area and especially Bell Street Mall (you'll probably know what i mean).

There is so much potential to create a real urban feel, but it's a bit of a hangout for some pretty unsavoury types.

Edit: The comment above is in no way a reflection on Lifeline and other service organisations, they are all essential and do an amazing and i'm sure, difficult job.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm pretty sure the old building below is what used to be on this site. It's a bit of a shame they knocked it down, actually.

Then (Queensland Australia Bank)

Now

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
argh. This would be such a backward step. Turn it into green space, right...

End of line for rail route
Monday, June 18, 2012 5:00
Share on emailShare on facebookShare on twitter

Member for Toowoomba North Trevor Watts (left) and Mayor Paul Antonio believe the rail corridor should be relocated outside the city.

DAVE NOONAN

TOOWOOMBA Regional Council Mayor Paul Antonio believes the current rail corridor that winds through the city has reached its use-by date.

Cr Antonio said it was time for council, in conjunction with the private sector, to start exploring the possibility of relocating the rail corridor away from the CBD area.

"Toowoomba has reached a stage where we have to consider the appropriateness of the rail line that runs through our city.

"We need to look at the alternatives and start planning for the future.

"There is no doubt that the current rail corridor has reached its use-by date," Cr Antonio said.

The Mayor said the proposal would ensure trains carrying freight through CBD streets would be a thing of the past.

·
NICE HAT.....
386 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
According to the Toowoomba Council website. We can expect a public notification stage on the Grand Central Redevelopment around March next year with the decision process happening soon after. Can't wait!

The full DA and plans can be viewed here.

Edit: Some renders and elevations start at page 800 *rubs eyes*. Even photocopied in B&W, you can tell that this centre will look fantastic and very modern.

https://pdonline.toowoombarc.qld.gov.au/Masterview/Modules/ApplicationMaster/default.aspx?page=wrapper&key=372707

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wow, this is a MASSIVE development. This is not just significant for Toowoomba but would be so anywhere in Queensland! Great to see something like this going ahead in the Garden City. :) Now all Toowoomba needs is a couple of real skyscrapers. ;)

I remember Gardentown (or Village Fair as it was then) originally had approval to build a high rise office block (10-12 stories) above it at a later stage. The story at the time was that the building's foundations were constructed in such a way that it would support the additional structure at a later date. 'Skyscraper for Toowoomba' was a big front page story in The Chronicle and on WIN-TV (Or was it 10-4-5a back then?) at the time, and the usual NIMBYs were up-in-arms. I don't know much about DAs but presumably approval lapses after a certain time? There's no mention of any high-rise in this new proposal. Anyhow, this is an exciting development regardless!

·
NICE HAT.....
386 Posts
Wow that was tiring finding those pics (sighs)

Looks massive! Looks like it stretches up to little street as well..
6 to 7 parking levels on duggan st will give it a nice dense feel, being as though the street is so narrow and all:)

·
NICE HAT.....
386 Posts
Whats with that developement app on hume street where the coffee house is.
It had mutiple unit dwellings + retail and office. sounds like it could be quite a few levels.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Whats with that developement app on hume street where the coffee house is.
It had mutiple unit dwellings + retail and office. sounds like it could be quite a few levels.
Hey nice pickup Leo. Here's the PD Online link.

https://pdonline.toowoombarc.qld.gov.au/masterview/modules/applicationmaster/default.aspx?page=wrapper&key=377195

Got me all excited there.... I've gone over my download limit so i was waiting for the details of this to load at dial up speed.:nuts:

Just 4 levels :-[ I guess it's better than nothing. Hume Street has quite a nice feel to it, though. This development would add to it quite nicely.

·
NICE HAT.....
386 Posts
I think it looks alright. Maybe this is the way to go in Toowoomba. When you look at all the other taller proposals never really tend to come to fruition.

More of these please:)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Cripes!

source

Church plans 5000 seat expansion

ONE of Queensland's most controversial churches is embarking on a very public expansion in the Garden City.

The Toowoomba Christian Fellowship has revealed plans to expand its present home, which is known as The Chapel, into a 5000-person mega-church.

If it goes ahead it will be one of the largest churches in Australia

The main auditorium of the Citipointe Church in Carindale, Brisbane, can seat 2000 people while Hillsong Sydney, which has 20,000-plus members, has the capacity to seat 3500.

Toowoomba Regional Council has given Toowoomba Christian Fellowship approval to quadruple the size of its existing 300-seat auditorium, located on Old Goombungee Rd in Toowoomba's northern outskirts.

The next stage of its expansion will increase the church's occupancy to 3000.

A third stage will mean The Chapel's expansion into a facility able to cater to 5000 people.

A representative from Toowoomba Christian Fellowship was not available for comment yesterday.

In recent years, the church has come under fire from members for trying to break up families and gain control over their lives.

Former member Damien Chimes claimed he was forced to work on the church's farms and had restrictions placed on aspects of his social life.

Senior pastor David Falk at the time strenuously denied those claims.

Toowoomba Christian Fellowship's development application reveals a maximum of 300 people attend the church's regular Sunday meetings.

It claims it needs to expand the capacity of The Chapel to "allow for future growth of the program".

The church must get development approval to proceed with its next two stages of expansion.

EXPANSIVE FAITH

Churches in Australia and around the world by capacity:

St Peter's Basilica, Rome 60,000
Lakewood Church, Houston 16,000
Hillsong Church, Sydney 3500
Citipointe Church, Brisbane 2000
St Mary's Cathedral, Sydney 2000
Wesley Uniting Church, Adelaide 1100
Rangeville Community Church, Toowoomba 1100
St Patrick's Cathedral, Toowoomba 850

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Source

Light rail the way for Robert

TOOWOOMBA train enthusiast Robert Ketton is urging Toowoomba Regional Council to seriously consider alternative options regarding the future of the city's current rail corridor.

Mr Ketton, the public relations officer for DownsSteam Tourist Railway and Museum has suggested using the line as a light rail transport system.

He said the tram-like system would connect the major traffic areas of Toowoomba and boost the city's public transport system.

His idea comes after Toowoomba Region Mayor Paul Antonio said it was time to relocate the line as it had "reached its use-by date."

"Just about everywhere that has closed a railway line has come to regret it,' Mr Ketton said.

"We are absolutely wedded to the motor car and we need a cultural shift."

His plan is for the light rail system to use the current line as a transportation route between the city's railway station, through the central shopping district to the Toowoomba Hospital and on to the University.

He also suggested the possibility of it continuing on to service existing stations at Clifton, Wyreema and Nobby.

Member for Toowoomba North Trevor Watts said he would begin a "conversation" regarding what the future holds for the rail corridor.

"I'm starting a process of conversation to see how we're going to get bulk haulage trains out of the Toowoomba CBD," he said.

"We need to see what people want to replace the line and take it from there."

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
For anyone interested, here's a map of most of the "Drayton deviation" which is the rail line referred to in the article above. The line continues a few K's south to Wyreema, but this isn't shown on this map.

I'm no railhead, but it seems to be a pretty well designed line, and could be well suited to a public transit system.

I've marked the line in blue with level crossings as red dots and under/overpasses as yellow dots.

I'd probably stop any light rail at Drayton or the Uni (requiring a spur line, or street running down Baker Street, Darling Heights) to discourage sprawl to the southwest.

It's probably pretty unlikely this will happen anyway :eek:hno:

Drayton Deviation by arreis77, on Flickr

·
i've changed my mind
3,772 Posts
I used to think the same idea when i caught the bus to school for 5 years from wyrema into town. I thought they could fit a station between clifo's and harristown oval :p.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'd love to see Anzac Avenue develop from industrial to resi. Some towers along there would have amazing views to the west. A light rail through that area could help achieve that.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Source

Wow building set for facelift

THE former WOW Sight and Sound building on Ruthven St has been purchased by Toowoomba businessman John Wagner who plans to redevelop it into prime office and retail space.

The building has stood vacant since WOW Sight and Sound closed it doors in April.

It is the second building in the vicinity that has been snapped up in the past week.

The former Commonwealth Bank building on the corner of Ruthven and Russell Sts has also been leased after standing vacant for more than seven years.

Prominent city real estate agent Mike Stewart from LJ Hooker Commercial Toowoomba said the much-maligned area of town was at the start of a major revitalisation.

"The northern end of Ruthven St has never really recovered after the floods 18 months ago," Mr Stewart said.

"There are some very promising signs for the area, especially considering the development of the Northpoint shopping centre precinct just up the road."

While plans are still in the initial stages, Mr Stewart said the WOW building would be converted into much needed retail and office space.

"Due the height of the building, the plan is to add a second floor which will double the amount of space available to around 3000 square metres," Mr Stewart said.

"In essence, the building will be totally redeveloped and it will offer high quality, prime retail and office space," he said.

Mr Stewart said a lot of interest has been shown of late by prospective buyers who were keen to develop the vicinity.

"There has always been a lot of vehicular traffic in the area and the plan is to convert that into foot traffic," Mr Stewart said.

"The area has been neglected for a long time, but I do believe that it is at the start of something very promising for the area.

"It will be very interesting to see what eventuates with the Allied Mills and Foundry sites," he said.

381 - 400 of 1225 Posts