SkyscraperCity banner

441 - 460 of 1225 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Contruction workers return to controversial Masters site

CONSTRUCTION workers have returned to the Masters Home Improvement store site in Kearneys Spring.

Masters management has avoided commenting on the return to work since The Chronicle started making inquiries about the Hume St project.

Building contractors McNab said they had been stopped by Masters from publicly commenting about the return to work.

Work on the site halted after The Planning and Environment Court in April ruled Toowoomba Regional Council's approval of modified plans to be of no force or effect.

It came after objections to the updated plans, made by the neighbouring Christian Outreach Centre, were ignored by Toowoomba Regional Council.
http://m.thechronicle.com.au/news/construction-workers-return-masters-toowoomba/1689614/

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've heard Masters are now taking employment applications. It must be back on.

Annoyingly, it seems the Le Jardin/Epicurean development on Ruthven St has been scrapped. After about 4 or 5 months for sale as a DA approved site, it was removed from sale as an entire block and the individual houses are now offered for sale.

At least one house already has a sold sign on it. So i can't see how this project would ever go ahead now. :(

·
NICE HAT.....
386 Posts
Hmm was the Le Jardin/Epicurean that highrise development near the city golf course?

Buyers in Toowoomba definitely aren't into the whole apartment thing. Especially when you can still get house and land for around the same price.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yep, that was the one.

Also, Barry Bernoths website is down for maintenance. Any bets that when it comes back up the Fairway development (9s) on Alderley Street is gone?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The Toowoomba Telegraph reports that council has purchased the old Sew Handy building next to Toowoomba Central Plaza. The plan is that they might demolish it to make a pedestrian walkway to Annand Street and on tothe carpark near the Empire Theatre. The story mentions that council has an eye on what Melbourne has with it's laneways so it could be an interesting little development.

Here's hoping it's not just another Bell st mall.

I would have loved to have seen the Christian bookstore and Betros brothers warehouse demolished to make a larger public square with the Empire Theatre at one end.

·
NICE HAT.....
386 Posts
^^Will be interesting how this will impact that part of the cbd. I think will be good as sports club is just opposite the site plus Tombos night club not far and I heard last year that the old powerhouse night club was supposed to be up and running again later this year? more of a live venue for bands and such this time.

Arreis what is the motive for the alley way where sew handy is currently? as it will pretty much only link Ruthven street with the Annand St car park. Unless their planning something where the car parks are.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Where was Powerhouse nightclub?

With the laneway, they're following recommendations from the CBD masterplan to create more cross block linkages. At the moment the only option is to dodge cars down Union Street or walk through the Bourke and Wills carpark. I'm not sure how they feel about that.

When the Sew handy building came up for sale, they took the opportunity. As far as the Annand St carpark, it was left open ended. They said that carparking would soon be under discussion, so developing that area is a possibility.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I hope if they do create a laneway they follow the name of Little Street directly opposite.

Little Lane is catchy. :)

·
NICE HAT.....
386 Posts
Where was Powerhouse nightclub?

With the laneway, they're following recommendations from the CBD masterplan to create more cross block linkages. At the moment the only option is to dodge cars down Union Street or walk through the Bourke and Wills carpark. I'm not sure how they feel about that.

When the Sew handy building came up for sale, they took the opportunity. As far as the Annand St carpark, it was left open ended. They said that carparking would soon be under discussion, so developing that area is a possibility.
Powerhouse is right down the end of russell st next to the bus terminal..

Ok well that kind of makes sense. I guess having to dodge cars to get could be a little dangerous.

I can see some great little lane way coffee shops opening up:)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here we go again! Letitia Shelton at it again. This is why nothing ever gets going up here.
This woman opposes everything!:bash:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/twb310812comm002fct1024.jpg/

Letitia Shelton of City Women is organising a rally next Thursday to oppose the opening of a strip club in Toowoomba.

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/rally-organised-oppose-toowoombas-newest-strip-clu/1739508/
In all fairness it is a proposal for a strip club in a very conservative city. I'm surprised half the city isn't opposing it. A strip club won't really help the family friendly image the city is going for.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
^^ The Chronicle did a poll on this last year. Not scientific, but around 60% supported the strip club.

I don't know that Toowoomba is that much more conservative than anywhere else. There just seems to be a very vocal minority who have a bit of pull who seem intent on holding the city back.

I'd rather see market forces decide whether Toowoomba needs a strip club. At the very least, a building that has been lying dormant for years and years should get a bit of a refurb.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Inner city bypass on track for completion in 2014

http://m.thechronicle.com.au/news/council-final-design-cbd-road-link-toowoomba/1786520/

UPDATE:*Council's plan to ease city-centre traffic by linking Russell St and Chalk Dr is about to enter its $1.4 million detailed design phase.

Engineering firm GHD has almost completed the link road's preliminary design at an expected cost of $720,000.

Yesterday's infrastructure committee decision to extend GHD's contract to include the detailed design stage must be ratified by a full meeting of council before it is adopted.

The road link began its life as a traffic alleviation plan but has since come to include a flood mitigation program in the wake of the 2011 floods.

"The road started off as a project to get unnecessary traffic out of the city centre, but now has ended up being a major part of our flood mitigation work for the Gowrie Creek catchment system," Cr Taylor said.

The link will cross former railway land given to council by the State Government.

The government also contributed $45 million funding to the project, which expires at the end of 2014.
Contractors will be selected over the next six months.

Linking Toowoomba

Stage 1

Project definition and preliminary design
Plan 380m "link road" connecting Russell St and Chalk Dr
Three-span bridge over Gowrie Creek junction
Widening and extension of Russell St culvert structure
Upgrade West Creek channel
Council sewer drain in West Creek moved into its bank
Undertaken by GHD
Must be finalised by the end of the month
Has cost $520,000*
Extra $200,000 needed to complete geotechnical testing
Stage 2

Detailed design phase*
Undertaken between end of March
Must be completed by August
Expected to cost $1.4 million
Stage 3

Construction and delivery
Starts in August
Contractor to be chosen from expressions of interest process
Depends on Stages 1 and 2 being undertaken and completed as quickly as possible
Government's $45 million funding expires at end of 2013

Council to consider final design of CBD road link

EARLIER: A road linking Russell St and Chalk Dr has taken on added significance in recent years, according to Infrastructure chairwoman Cr Carol Taylor.

Toowoomba Regional Council will tomorrow be presented with the detailed design of the next stage of the Toowoomba CBD outer circulating road.

It will feature a road linking Russell St and Chalk Dr, which aims to reduce congestion in the city centre.

The plans will also feature major flood mitigation works, which were incorporated in the wake of the January 2011 floods.

The road link will cross former railway land that was gifted to council by the State Government last year. The government also contributed $45 million to the project.

"The road started off as a project to get unnecessary traffic out of the city centre, but now has ended up being a major part of our flood mitigation work for the Gowrie Creek catchment system," Cr Taylor said.

"It's a reasonably big project now and we have to make sure we get everything right.

"Tomorrow, councillors will be presented with the latest model and kept in the loop with how the overall works are progressing."

Cr Taylor said Toowoomba Regional Council needed to have the works completed by the end of next year.

She admitted motorists would face some inconvenience over the next two years.

"But I think everyone will be pleased to see it come to fruition."

Councillors will be presented with the latest design of the road link and will open tenders for the construction works during council's Infrastructure Committee meeting to be held at City Hall at 9am tomorrow.

·
Registered
361 Posts
But is there bad congestion in the CBD at the moment? It seemed quiet enough a couple of years ago. I wish some money would be spent on public transport in Toowoomba for once instead of more road projects - for a city of over 100,000 people, PT is abysmal in Toowoomba. :( I lived there for 6 months in 2010 and didn't drive at the time. I was right downtown and walking distance to work, so could pretty much walk everywhere I needed to go. But if I ever wanted to go outside the CBD and inner suburban area, I had to catch cabs, devote half a day to navigating unreliable PT (and hope for the best because sometimes it just wouldn't turn up) or take some very long walks!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I think the CBD ring road is a worthy project. Not neccesarily for relieving congestion which, as you say, isn't such an issue, but it will remove traffic from the CBD allowing the development of "walk friendly" projects, which was a recommendation of the CBD masterplan.

From a purely selfish pov, i just want to see some construction in the CBD!

PT spending is always going to be a tough sell here. Toowoombas efficient grid road network and cheap (or free) parking make PT take up low. I agree more could be done, though.

·
i've changed my mind
3,771 Posts
hows the gardentown/grand central thing going? are they getting david jones? i reckon you could almost get alway with a loius vuitton in toowoomba, people don't realise that there's some serious money there.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It should be approved any day now. The last report i saw said February some time...

Looking at the plans, i don't see a suitable sized lease for a David Jones. I haven't even seen any speculation about which retailers might be in the new development. I guess those negotiations come a bit closer to completion?

441 - 460 of 1225 Posts